Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 10:07 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,726,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
He might be right, though.
And you might be a serial murderer and I might pre-pubescent child. We never know who is really what on this forum, but attacking the OP based on what he wrote was uncalled for. His request was plausible. If I was moving to Cleveland but lived in Houston but was familiar with Chicago, I might ask for a comparrison.

I don't take kindly to accusations like that. I've had to deal with them myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 10:15 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,770,177 times
Thanks for the responses guys. I take it the reason you don't see a "concentrated" area like you do in Uptown, Dallas is because of the zoning laws?

Old 06-11-2012, 11:06 PM

998 posts, read 1,324,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston1197 View Post
Why didn't you just ask if there was anything like Lincoln Park here in Houston if you are in fact in Chicago? Isn't Lincoln Park the bar to which Uptown Dallas is supposedly measured?

Here's what I think.... You are sitting in Dallas right now and have never even been to Chicago. You are a Dallas troll with the need to vent his sexual frustration on decent Houstonians because you are mad at the world for allowing every woman to look at you in utter disgust as they walk by. In fact, the closest you have ever been to a piece of tail was when you were 19 and your mom walked in on you dry humping the family poodle.

This is the truth.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:13 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,849,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
He might be right, though.
He's definitely hilarious!

Old 06-12-2012, 01:26 AM

770 posts, read 1,796,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
I'm sure this has been discussed before. I'm just wondering what everyone's consensus is on what area is most like the Uptown area in Dallas. I would prefer to hear from those who perhaps lived in Uptown and have since moved to Houston. The Uptown Dallas area has been compared loosely to the Lincoln Park neighborhood in Chicago. I'm currently in Chicago btw looking to move to the Houston area. I have family down in Houston so I have been around the city and the loop area but don't have first hand experiences of actually living anywhere.

The closest I keep hearing is the Montrose area. But that's only because of the walk ability factor.
For one thing, Uptown Dallas don't even come close to comparing to Uptown Houston. Uptown Houston is so big that during my first trip to the Houston area last year, I had mistaken it for Downtown Houston!

Uptown Dallas, IMHO, is more like Greenway Plaza.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:42 AM

770 posts, read 1,796,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston1197 View Post
Why didn't you just ask if there was anything like Lincoln Park here in Houston if you are in fact in Chicago? Isn't Lincoln Park the bar to which Uptown Dallas is supposedly measured?

Here's what I think.... You are sitting in Dallas right now and have never even been to Chicago. You are a Dallas troll with the need to vent his sexual frustration on decent Houstonians because you are mad at the world for allowing every woman to look at you in utter disgust as they walk by. In fact, the closest you have ever been to a piece of tail was when you were 19 and your mom walked in on you dry humping the family poodle.
LOL!! You are too funny!! Kinda crude, but had me on the floor, LMAO!!

Old 06-12-2012, 05:34 AM

392 posts, read 633,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
For one thing, Uptown Dallas don't even come close to comparing to Uptown Houston. Uptown Houston is so big that during my first trip to the Houston area last year, I had mistaken it for Downtown Houston!

Uptown. Dallas is an extension of the downtown Cbd that transitions into a dense residential area toward the north. It has some retail in areas such as the Quadrangle and the West Village, and many restaurants and chic bars. It is similar to Lincoln park in that it has the some of the highest rentals and most expensive housing within the Dallas inner city, and is arguably the densest urban residential district in Dallas-Fort Worth. To view it on google maps, look at downtown Dallas and travel along McKinney avenue going north.

Uptown Houston has nothing in common with Uptown Dallas other than the name "Uptown". It is more of a suburban level collection of shops and office buildings, with some residential, and is very extensive. It's Dallas equivalent would probably be the shopping and office buildings along the Dallas North Tollway in North Dallas and Addison. The term "Edge City" may be appropriate.

If you're looking for A vibrant and popular inner city area in Houston, areas such as Midtown or Montrose might satisfy you.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:26 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,510,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post

Uptown Houston is nothing like uptown Dallas and Uptown Dallas is nothing like greenway plaza.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:47 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,946,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
And you might be a serial murderer and I might pre-pubescent child. We never know who is really what on this forum, but attacking the OP based on what he wrote was uncalled for. His request was plausible. If I was moving to Cleveland but lived in Houston but was familiar with Chicago, I might ask for a comparrison.

I don't take kindly to accusations like that. I've had to deal with them myself.
I guess the join date made it suspicious.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:28 AM

122 posts, read 222,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
I'm sure this has been discussed before. I'm just wondering what everyone's consensus is on what area is most like the Uptown area in Dallas. I would prefer to hear from those who perhaps lived in Uptown and have since moved to Houston. The Uptown Dallas area has been compared loosely to the Lincoln Park neighborhood in Chicago. I'm currently in Chicago btw looking to move to the Houston area. I have family down in Houston so I have been around the city and the loop area but don't have first hand experiences of actually living anywhere.

The closest I keep hearing is the Montrose area. But that's only because of the walk ability factor.
Having lived in Uptown, I agree with Midtown. I would say that you should also strongly look at Montrose as you mentioned. Of all the neighborhoods in Dallas and Houston that I have lived in, it has been my favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston