Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 07:54 PM

7 posts, read 12,577 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm moving to Houston on Monday and just have a silly question that has been on my mind. So I've done my research and have about 5 rental property's I want to look at once I'm there, but I noticed in all the ads they have only 2 fees; The first months rent and a deposit(which could be as low as 100$) Is this just a way to real me in and make me think it will be really cheap to rent, or is this the real deal Holly Field? All input will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 08:52 PM

312 posts, read 797,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassandraAB View Post
Hey guys, I'm moving to Houston on Monday and just have a silly question that has been on my mind. So I've done my research and have about 5 rental property's I want to look at once I'm there, but I noticed in all the ads they have only 2 fees; The first months rent and a deposit(which could be as low as 100$) Is this just a way to real me in and make me think it will be really cheap to rent, or is this the real deal Holly Field? All input will be greatly appreciated.
Pretty much correct, I've only heard of "first and last month's rent" in a few cities like NYC and the SF Bay Area. Much of the rest of the country, just first month's rent and the deposit is needed, plus other fees for utilities if applicable. Most if not all places even prorate the first month's rent if you are moving in at the middle of the month. And depending on the complex, there are various discounts and concessions that could make your total move-in costs even cheaper, but keep in mind that the "cheap" places may not be the most safe, or in the best neighborhoods as far as low crime, etc. Houston like a lot of cities in the West and South have huge demographic/population changes over time, an area that was a nice neighborhood in the '90s could be the 'hood today.

Do keep in mind that some places are more picky than others in regards to even accepting your application if you have a negative credit history, very little time on the job, criminal record, etc., so always ask about that BEFORE submitting an application. Many cities have "apartment locator" services that greatly streamline the process and know which complexes will work with your individual situation, and their services in nearly all cases are free, so it's worth using them - it could save you lots of money in application fees.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:36 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,193,859 times
Houses and privately owned townhomes will charge the equivalent of the month's rent as a deposit and the first month. The only time 1st and last is requested is if the application has serious problems.

An apartment complex's deposit is much less. mic is right - if going the apartment route - google and get a locator.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:19 AM

39 posts, read 106,215 times
Consider that a bonus for moving to the south! When we rented for a short time in NJ we had to pay first & last months rent PLUS a deposit!

Old 06-12-2012, 07:25 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,596,321 times
As cheryjohns said "Houses and privately owned townhomes will charge the equivalent of the month's rent as a deposit and the first month."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston