Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 10:48 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

those are not speed traps and those are not police.
those are tax collection stations and those are tax collectors in blue uniforms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 11:04 AM

135 posts, read 335,292 times
The craziest thing I had happen here was two weeks ago: a cop pulled me over and asked why I was driving without an EZ Tag on the tollway. I pointed to the EZ Tag in my window, then he apologized and asked if I changed my license plate. I told him I did and he gave me a card for EZ Tag and told me to call their office to report the new plate because I owed $3.00 in tolls. I was shocked! This guy ran my plates and pulled me over for 3 bucks!

The biggest mistake that these rednecks make is not letting people go faster on toll roads. I think people would use them more if they had a 75mph speed limit on the Sam Houston.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:47 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
Houston has some of the highest rates of drunk driving and traffic fatalities due to drunk driving. having cops on the road is a visible sign to people to maybe save a life and for them to stop driving! plus since they are on the road they can spot people crazy speeding and swerving in and out of lanes because they are drunk or high.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:15 PM

670 posts, read 1,442,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROWNPLAYBOY310 View Post
I moved here from So Cal about a year an a half ago and have NEVER seen so many speed traps, especially on the toll roads! I guess maybe that's a function of having no state tax, you need to generate revenue with these tickets. But seriously it's hard getting used to drivin less than 75 on the freeway. I've already gotten 3 tickets. At least in California if you take the toll road the police leave you alone, out here there are more cops in the Sam Houston toll than anywhere else!
Are you a ricer by chance?

Old 06-13-2012, 01:40 PM

377 posts, read 1,346,165 times
Almost every weekday morning, there are cops at Louisiana/Tuam (Mid-town). It appears like they just catch you for no reason..just randomly.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:36 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texsn95 View Post
Are you a ricer by chance?

Old 06-13-2012, 02:39 PM

135 posts, read 335,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
Houston has some of the highest rates of drunk driving and traffic fatalities due to drunk driving. having cops on the road is a visible sign to people to maybe save a life and for them to stop driving! plus since they are on the road they can spot people crazy speeding and swerving in and out of lanes because they are drunk or high.
Good idea but they'd be better off with sobriety checkpoints if that was the case. They're usually in full force at 5-9am which really isn't a peak hour for drunk drivers.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:58 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,391 times
Not more than a month or two ago, I was driving to my grandmas house to cut her grass. I live nearby and took backroads and i was going to take the bridge on Durham near i10, which I know from growing up around here is a regular speed trap... So when i get to the top of the incline, I stay slow, around 25 mph and then put it in neutral to go down and I am certain I did not even break 30 mph. I turn into my grandmas neighborhood and all of a sudden a cop hauls ass and pulls me over. He accused me of running a red light 2 miles back and I didnt even pass any traffic lights at all! I took back roads to Durham! And the guy points his ****ing gun at me!

This is certainly not worse than when I was pulled over on i45 this last winter at night and my friend and I were yanked from my car with guns in our faces, cops screaming at us. They placed us in separate cars and tore my car apart , just looking for **** they could use against us! Eventually they just let us go, no apology, nothing.

I have absolutely no respect for police. I dont give a ****, all they did was take some community college course to deal with their insecurities. Pigs. All of them.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:13 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROWNPLAYBOY310 View Post
Good idea but they'd be better off with sobriety checkpoints if that was the case. They're usually in full force at 5-9am which really isn't a peak hour for drunk drivers.
you'd be surprised

checkpoints - like that wouldn't make people more angry than simply cops being on the side of the roads?

Old 06-13-2012, 05:42 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times
You just have to get to know Houston freeways and roads like the back of your hand and thus you will know were the majority of the traps are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: