Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 08:23 AM

28 posts, read 150,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaBrown713 View Post
Houston is opening a new Mandarin Chinese Immersion school and I am so excited to send my children there and I think it is a great opportunity.
But I am a little apprehensive and so is Dh.

I really think the school is a good idea and my kids love writing the chinese characters. But we are in Houston and with so many spanish speakers here and in the south,
We feel Spanish still needs to be learned. I have only taught my kids the basics in spanish and I need to find away to take them to the next level to fluency.

The spanish Immersion schools here were never an option because they don't perform nearly high enough for my expectations for an elementary school.
I wish the Manderin school could somehow incorporate Spanish as a fee based afterschool program so it doesn't take away from daily studies.
The students are at a good age to learn multiple languages.

What do you all think? Would you send you child to the new Mandarin Immersion school? How would you incorporate spanish if you want your kids to be multilingual?
My child is enrolled in MCLIMS, but he will not attend. I love the idea of Mandarin, but I have many problems with the fact that the program is a product of HISD. I don't have enough faith in HISD to prepare my child for high school much less college while only offering instruction in English 2 to 2 1/2 hours a day with 22 to 25 children in a class.

My child currently attends a French Immersion program, but will add Spanish as a third language in Middle School. There are so many opportunities for one to learn Spanish in Houston, that we did not feel the need to begin my child's education in the Spanish language.

There are programs across the city that offer Spanish language learning, that you can supplement by having play dates with Spanish speaking children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 08:50 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
Some people here seem to be talking without knowing crap about the World of business by saying that Chinese is more important that Spanish.
Yes, China is a huge player in the World market, but how many countries speak Spanish?
Besides, as somebody mentioned, Spanish opens the door to easily learn Portuguese (Brazil and Portugal), Italian and French (France and many countries in Africa)

Old 06-14-2012, 08:52 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,142,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaBrown713 View Post
Houston is opening a new Mandarin Chinese Immersion school and I am so excited to send my children there and I think it is a great opportunity.
But I am a little apprehensive and so is Dh.

I really think the school is a good idea and my kids love writing the chinese characters. But we are in Houston and with so many spanish speakers here and in the south,
We feel Spanish still needs to be learned. I have only taught my kids the basics in spanish and I need to find away to take them to the next level to fluency.

The spanish Immersion schools here were never an option because they don't perform nearly high enough for my expectations for an elementary school.
I wish the Manderin school could somehow incorporate Spanish as a fee based afterschool program so it doesn't take away from daily studies.
The students are at a good age to learn multiple languages.

What do you all think? Would you send you child to the new Mandarin Immersion school? How would you incorporate spanish if you want your kids to be multilingual?
Why does your kids "need" to learn spanish? [mod cut: rude/racist comment] I would definitely go with the Manarin immersion, seeing that China is going to be the dominant power in the world. They're already a dominant economic power, so from a business aspect it make perfect sense.

Last edited by elnina; 06-17-2012 at 03:45 AM.. Reason: rude/racist comment

Old 06-14-2012, 08:56 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,171,487 times
I speak fluent Dutch. Doesn't get me squat.

Ronnie

Old 06-14-2012, 08:56 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Why does your kids "need" to learn spanish? [mod cut: rude/racist comment] I would definitely go with the Manarin immersion, seeing that China is going to be the dominant power in the world. They're already a dominant economic power, so from a business aspect it make perfect sense.
I guess you've never heard of Pemex or PDVSA (owner of Citgo)

Last edited by elnina; 06-17-2012 at 03:46 AM..

Old 06-14-2012, 09:01 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,142,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Some people here seem to be talking without knowing crap about the World of business by saying that Chinese is more important that Spanish.
Yes, China is a huge player in the World market, but how many countries speak Spanish?
Besides, as somebody mentioned, Spanish opens the door to easily learn Portuguese (Brazil and Portugal), Italian and French (France and many countries in Africa)
How many of those countries are just third world countries? How many are in the G -8(none). How many are economic powers, beside Brazil and they don't speak spanish there. Kids in this country already have a advantage because they speak english which is still the dominant language for politics, science, business. If a business man in Germany want to talk to a business man in japan they ain't talking spanish. But if I where going to have my kids learn a language it would be Mandarin.

Last edited by 14Bricks; 06-14-2012 at 09:35 AM..

Old 06-14-2012, 09:31 AM

366 posts, read 797,095 times
The shale gas boom is bringing in billions of dollars into the US and will provide 1.5 million jobs in the upcoming future. Shale boom to fuel 1.5 million jobs by 2015, study says - Houston Chronicle
That being said, China supposedly has a bigger supply of natural gas that has yet to be tapped into and they will look to the US as the experts. I think Mandarin will come in handy.

It's also not an issue of which language is better, it's more of, which would be more beneficial in the future, amigo.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:42 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,947 times
According to the FAQ: HISD Mandarin Chinese Language Immersion Magnet School | Houston ISD - English instruction increases through grade levels. Originally "language arts, math, science, and social studies" are taught mostly in Mandarin.

The FAQ does not state what the class sizes will be.

The State of Texas requires elementary schools to have a 22 pupil limit, BUT there are waivers which exempt a school from the limit. It would do you well to call the school and ask if they have an exemption to the class size limit. If not, then a class will have no more than 22 students.

"but I have many problems with the fact that the program is a product of HISD" - In which ways? I don't think this school is going to have the problems affecting most HISD schools in impoverished neighborhoods (anti-intellectual attitudes among the student body, students who have uneducated parents, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmd View Post
My child is enrolled in MCLIMS, but he will not attend. I love the idea of Mandarin, but I have many problems with the fact that the program is a product of HISD. I don't have enough faith in HISD to prepare my child for high school much less college while only offering instruction in English 2 to 2 1/2 hours a day with 22 to 25 children in a class.

My child currently attends a French Immersion program, but will add Spanish as a third language in Middle School. There are so many opportunities for one to learn Spanish in Houston, that we did not feel the need to begin my child's education in the Spanish language.

There are programs across the city that offer Spanish language learning, that you can supplement by having play dates with Spanish speaking children.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:48 AM

834 posts, read 2,683,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
While it is true that many of our household services are provided by Spanish-speaking people, this comment of your is very generalized and ignorant. Look around in terms of education, those people with dual or more languages have better career opportunities. Spanish is a very convenient language to know where we live for our day-to-day living as well as business and vacationing.
The way I see it, the more languages the better.

Last edited by elnina; 06-17-2012 at 03:47 AM..

Old 06-14-2012, 11:50 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,947 times
There IS lucrative business in the Spanish speaking world. Look no further than Miami and its economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston