Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 05:40 PM

16 posts, read 37,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmd View Post
My friend's child began French and Mandarin in the same year with much success. A younger child's brain is more adapt at learning multiple languages, than that of an older child or an adult.
I agree that a younger brain will easily adapt to learning a multiple languages simultaneously if they are around it on a regular basis.

Was the child learning French and Mandarin at school or was your friend a native speaker? Do you know how old was the child when they started teaching the languages? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 05:50 PM

16 posts, read 37,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nervouslaughter View Post
I would not leave it up to my children at that age to decide what language they would learn. This is a decision the parents should make. Otherwise, I'm sure they'd rather learn pig Latin than something of value.

Thank you! As a parent you have to make the decisions for your child until they are mature enough to start making educated choices themselves. When my kids go to middle school then they will be able to pick what other language to add to their repertoire

Old 06-15-2012, 11:23 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Before I answer 14Bricks,
I'd go for Mandarin 1st because it's more difficult. Spanish will be a piece of cake after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
How many of those countries are just third world countries? How many are in the G -8(none). How many are economic powers, beside Brazil and they don't speak spanish there.
Got bad news for you. All the countries in OPEC are 3rd World countries and they control most of the oil in the World.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:33 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
All of these oil addicted countries' successful people will most definitely speak English. Expand your childrens' extra brains into the math and sciences instead of this immersion stuff, and they will rule the world. What type of success are you trying to set your child up for, anyway??

Old 06-15-2012, 11:40 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,048,839 times
The idea speaking a Chinese language will help an ... American... is silly. Yes china is looking into invading lands and exploiting things for more resources, but guess what? China is full of engineers, engineering companies, and cheap manual labor. They aren't going to be looking to hire your kid in 25 years. When they do hire outside they always seem to be Indians or Dutch

Speaking Spanish though - easily learn to speak French and Italian. Much easier to move through European countries and contacts with those languages. If you are in O&G how many times have you sent people to Africa in the past 5 years? Most of them speak French.

How many times has your company sent people south of the border? Heck don't you have an office there yet?

All the oil and gas fields, refineries guess who a lot of the grunts and foreman are?

No way will learning Mandarin give your kid an edge (if he even really bothered to stick with it). Maybe you think you can decide what your child will learn when they're little, but two English only speaking parents and a mandarin "immersion" school isn't going to be easy. 3 and 4 years olds get bored when things are tough to comprehend too

The only eastern asians I really had to deal with were the Koreans. I'd say forcing your toddler to learn Korean in the hope that gets them somewhere would be a wiser choice

Last edited by testmo; 06-15-2012 at 11:48 PM..

Old 06-16-2012, 12:01 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
China is full of engineers, engineering companies, and cheap manual labor. They aren't going to be looking to hire your kid in 25 years.

Of course they will, for cheap wages. You should see what those overseas engineering companies pay. But some people here may find that attractive if they've exploited the American credit system for what it's worth, and then just up & defect. They may save enough cash to come back home once every 2-3 years, but they will be 100% taken care of. I hear Chinese girls like white American guys, too ... and there are also billions of them (literally)... may not be a bad way to make a fast break before landing in the slammer in the US.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:11 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
Testmo, a lot of foreigners work in China in white collar jobs. Some in business ventures, some as English teachers. Many of them come from the U.S. and European countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
The idea speaking a Chinese language will help an ... American... is silly. Yes china is looking into invading lands and exploiting things for more resources, but guess what? China is full of engineers, engineering companies, and cheap manual labor. They aren't going to be looking to hire your kid in 25 years. When they do hire outside they always seem to be Indians or Dutch

Speaking Spanish though - easily learn to speak French and Italian. Much easier to move through European countries and contacts with those languages. If you are in O&G how many times have you sent people to Africa in the past 5 years? Most of them speak French.
Firstly, wages in China may be relatively low, but the cost of living is far lower. I read somewhere that one needs an income of US$30K to qualify for a yacht club in China.

For women who want foreign men, keep in mind that in many cases they are divorced. Chinese men often don't want divorced women, so they only have western men. Also, many western men offer financial security.

Quote:
Of course they will, for cheap wages. You should see what those overseas engineering companies pay. But some people here may find that attractive if they've exploited the American credit system for what it's worth, and then just up & defect. They may save enough cash to come back home once every 2-3 years, but they will be 100% taken care of. I hear Chinese girls like white American guys, too ... and there are also billions of them (literally)... may not be a bad way to make a fast break before landing in the slammer in the US.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:14 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,018 times
Default Nobody's making "educated decisions" here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaBrown713 View Post
Thank you! As a parent you have to make the decisions for your child until they are mature enough to start making educated choices themselves. When my kids go to middle school then they will be able to pick what other language to add to their repertoire
Sounds like you and your children aren't ready yet for prime time.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:51 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'd go for Mandarin 1st because it's more difficult. Spanish will be a piece of cake after that.

Got bad news for you. All the countries in OPEC are 3rd World countries and they control most of the oil in the World.
And how my are SPANISH speaking? You people keep dodging the question why is learning spanish important besides its good when I go on vacation or talk to the yard man.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:01 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post

Lol, I wouldn't exactly call saudi arabia, Kuwait, or the united arab emirates "third world" the people in those countries don't have to pay taxes, health care, or for education because of all the oil money. They live better than we do in america. My friends wife got a job in the united Arab emirates teaching English(not Spanish) for $80,000 a year tax free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston