U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 07:14 PM

15,348 posts, read 20,703,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmd View Post
2) play the same music over and over again in the car. Once again, the repetition is excellent for the child. If the teacher plays music in the class, obtain the same songs for personal use.
One of the best things I've found for my kids, is a few videos I bought in Venezuela (but then found them in youtube).
I downloaded them from youtube using Mozilla extension called "Easy youtube video downloader" (the bad thing is that it download the videos in .FLV format)
We always play that DVD in our minivan when we travel. My kids that are 6 and 8 know all the songs really good, but don't know much of what they are saying.

Here's one of the songs

Sammy El Heladero - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 07:23 PM

1,664 posts, read 2,976,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nervouslaughter View Post
Learning Mandarin is not so you can get a job in China. It's quite the opposite. If you want to get business from China as an American company, and you happen to know Mandarin even if they know English, you will get the competitive edge all other things being equal. Again, if I see Mandarin on someone's resume who grew up in an English speaking household, I will rank that person much hire than someone similar with Spanish fluency.

Just to open another can of worms, I'd rather learn to play golf than soccer, even though soccer is the most played sport in the world and I happen to be one hell of a soccer player.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:29 PM

Unlike a language, you can play golf by yourself.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:57 PM

366 posts, read 702,719 times
That's not the point. The point is that golf will help you as an asset more than soccer will when it comes to what we've been talking about on this thread. Soccer you can play by yourself, too. It's called Xbox.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:08 PM

Default Somewhat Related

New Asian immigrants to US now surpass Hispanics
http://www.chron.com/news/article/Ne...cs-3642797.php

Old 06-19-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
New Asian immigrants to US now surpass Hispanics
New Asian immigrants to US now surpass Hispanics - Houston Chronicle
Unlike hispanics, Asians speak 100s of languages.

Quote:
Asians Top of the Immigration Class - WSJ.com

The bulk of Asians in the U.S. trace their roots to six countries: China, India, Japan, Korea, the Philippines and Vietnam.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Unlike hispanics, Asians speak 100s of languages.
Hundreds of languages? I'd say that was a stretch but I don't follow your point anyhow.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Hundreds of languages? I'd say that was a stretch but I don't follow your point anyhow.
The thread is about learning a foreign language,
there might be a huge number of Asians coming to the US, but all of them don't speak the same language.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:10 PM
JL

7,711 posts, read 12,429,806 times
OP,
I think it is a good idea to have them learn both Mandarin and Spanish. Kids pick up languages pretty easily anyway. Since they enjoy writing characters like you said, i think you should have them concentrate on Mandarin. When they get older past high school/college, this will give them another option to work abroad in Asia should they decide to do so. Asia is an emerging market for business opportunities in years to come. If you prefer that they only learn one language, i would go with Mandarin since it is more difficult, but at their ages, it would be a breeze for them. They can always learn Spanish when they get a bit older.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,102 times
Lisa, Are you still going to send your kids? I enrolled mine into first grade and they still have some spots left. On the website it showed the school had a few field trips over the summer. That was cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or