Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 10:24 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,959,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
Notice how all of them refer to the neighborhood by the zipcode 77079, it doesnt even have a proper name adding to the overwhelming suburbaness of the area, one without identity.
West Memorial then. The reason everyone refers to it as 77079 is that it encimpasses the whole zipcode as opposed to meyerland which is really just a few superblocks between 610 and chimney rock and a rather small part of 77096. And don't kid yourself about the urbanites of meyerland. It's the same suburbaness as west memorial. You have to go to the galleria for all the urban entertainment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 06:23 PM

766 posts, read 1,253,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
West Memorial then. The reason everyone refers to it as 77079 is that it encimpasses the whole zipcode as opposed to meyerland which is really just a few superblocks between 610 and chimney rock and a rather small part of 77096. And don't kid yourself about the urbanites of meyerland. It's the same suburbaness as west memorial. You have to go to the galleria for all the urban entertainment.
You really are grasping for straws now, west memorial? Never heard of it. The difference between your so called "west memorial" and meyerland is the fact that you can be at the galleria in less than 10 minutes without getting on the freeway, and you can be in the museum district in 10 minutes as well. Meyerland may have suburban style housing, but it's location and its people are definitely urban in nature.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:28 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,705,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
You really are grasping for straws now, west memorial? Never heard of it. The difference between your so called "west memorial" and meyerland is the fact that you can be at the galleria in less than 10 minutes without getting on the freeway, and you can be in the museum district in 10 minutes as well. Meyerland may have suburban style housing, but it's location and its people are definitely urban in nature.
Maybe you're new to Houston? Search for West Memorial or Western Memorial on this forum, you'll find it's a common term for 77079. The area West of Beltway 8 has been called this for the last 50+ years. Not convinced? How about looking at Houston's Real Estate listings on har.com, most homes listed in 77079 are described in the same way. Still don't buy it? Google it.

I was at City Centre yesterday afternoon & took Memorial to Westheimer & landed in the Galleria parking lot in 10 minutes. Don't believe me? Drive it yourself. Or just ask anyone else on this forum who lives in the area, they'll verify.

People in Meyerland are more "urban in nature", really? Meyerland residents aren't anymore "urban in nature" than anyone else living in a city of Houston neighborhood. But your'e right, Meyerland is closer to the museums. (by a few minutes, lol)

Meyerland is a decent area for appreciation/values, however West Memorial leads by leaps & bounds. Verify this on har.com. A Realtor already mentioned it earlier in this thread.

Schools.....perhaps a large part of W Memorial's success in RE has something to do with with top of the line school combo's like Rummel Creek Elem, Memorial Middle & Stratford High. Meyerland doesn't have a similar school line up.

People gently suggested 77079 to the OP but you didn't like that & made up some weird fiction about the area. Don't worry, we'll get you straightened out.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:55 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
Maybe you're new to Houston? Search for West Memorial or Western Memorial on this forum, you'll find it's a common term for 77079. The area West of Beltway 8 has been called this for the last 50+ years. Not convinced? How about looking at Houston's Real Estate listings on har.com, most homes listed in 77079 are described in the same way. Still don't buy it? Google it.

I was at City Centre yesterday afternoon & took Memorial to Westheimer & landed in the Galleria parking lot in 10 minutes. Don't believe me? Drive it yourself. Or just ask anyone else on this forum who lives in the area, they'll verify.

People in Meyerland are more "urban in nature", really? Meyerland residents aren't anymore "urban in nature" than anyone else living in a city of Houston neighborhood. But your'e right, Meyerland is closer to the museums. (by a few minutes, lol)

Meyerland is a decent area for appreciation/values, however West Memorial leads by leaps & bounds. Verify this on har.com. A Realtor already mentioned it earlier in this thread.

Schools.....perhaps a large part of W Memorial's success in RE has something to do with with top of the line school combo's like Rummel Creek Elem, Memorial Middle & Stratford High. Meyerland doesn't have a similar school line up.

People gently suggested 77079 to the OP but you didn't like that & made up some weird fiction about the area. Don't worry, we'll get you straightened out.
Dang. You go, Lizzy. Yes, 77079 beats Inner Loop appreciation. I was just as surprised when I researched, as anyone. It's the strongest in the Metro.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:58 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
It's been called West Memorial for over 30 years...even by us Tanglewood brats. Now it's appreciating faster per sq footage than Tanglewood....

BTW, You still have to get in your car in Bellaire, West U, or Meyerland to get anything done. Suburban in nature.Just because it's more liberal and "diverse" in makeup doesn't make it anymore fashion flare urban.

Anyway the numbers speak for themselves

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 06-23-2012 at 09:49 PM..

Old 06-24-2012, 12:28 PM

766 posts, read 1,253,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post

Homegirl, you yourself just admitted you were wrong. City centre is part of memorial, not "memorial west", and LOL at "memorial west", that's like the people of gulfton calling themselves Bellaire West to soak in the prestige of the area. 77079 has such an identity crisis that it needs to piggy back on an area with actual prestige to feel good about itself. You can claim that you made it to the gally in 10 minutes but that doesnt change the fact that 1) You were at citycentre i.e. 77024 2) Your observations on commute times are complete heresay without any empirical data. I can claim that I can drive to the moon in 5 minutes in my ford fiesta, but I can never prove it without evidence. One can easily verify proximity using google or Bing maps and it would prove that meyerland is significantly closer to all of Houston's main attractions, not just by a few minutes.

Even then I reccommended the Heights over Meyerland because the OP said private schools were an option, BUT since you want to go there, I think I'll join you. All meyerland elementary schools are top notch. Kolter and Herod are both brand new and the reputation and data prove that academics are stellar. Middle schools are excellent as well with residents of the area having the option to attend Pin Oak (which I am a product of) which is far superior to memorial middle. That's not to say Johnston isn't a bad choice since it is recognized the last time I checked. On to the high schools, Meyerland is zoned to Bellaire which absolutely destroys Memorial, but oh wait 77079 isn't even zoned to memorial, its zoned to stratford. Ouch. The top HISD high schools takes a massive dump on every suburban high school so mentioning them would be beating a dead horse at this point.

It's funny how a longhorn who isnt even living in Houston anymore is proving all these supposed "real estate" experts on this site wrong. Goes to show that being a realtor isn't an intellectually demanding career. Other that that, im not even going to sit here and argue about property values because I honestly dont give a ****. It doesnt take a rocket science to see how much the heights has improved in such a short period of time and the op will make a nice profit regardless if he chooses faux memorial or the heights.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:31 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,129,693 times
You should stop now, you're making a fool out of yourself.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:00 PM

418 posts, read 741,882 times
Geeze, I agree. You come across as a very angry person, philopower.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:20 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Things to consider:

To confuse the whole apprectiation comparables between the two areas, there are more factors. In 77079, you can take a house and update for about $50K, and greatly increase value. You often have teardowns in the Heights, because of the age. Sure, it looks like you purchased a house and the value went up more than the Memorial house a year later - but you had to demolish and build a new house. Your costs were considerably more. If you don't do that, the Heights is surprisingly stagnant. There was a great time to buy there and reap the rewards - that train has left the station. 77079 isn't done, yet.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:42 PM

507 posts, read 916,814 times
I would cut my face off before I lived in 77079.

77004 is the only place for me. But probably not for you. I don't have any kids, so am mercifully spared from the awful experience of shopping for house by zoned schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston