Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 03:42 PM

14 posts, read 31,061 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am fresh graduate with a bachelor degree in Chemical & Biological Engineering from State University of New York at Buffalo.Prior to my graduation, I have completed an internship in pharmaceutical company for 4 months and a 8-month-long research project in a nanotechnology lab.

I have currently moved to Houston, TX about 1 month ago right after my graduation, hoping to get an entry level chemical engineer position in oil & gascompanies here as the engineering industry in Houston seemed to be pretty promising. Over these few months, I have been sending out tones of my resume through indeed, simply-hired, career-builder and monster. No much positive reply has been received.

It seems to me that my lack of engineering experiences is a big barrier for me in my job search. I also came to realize that barely applying jobs online is not enough.

To be honest, I really have no idea about what else I could do to increase my possibility of landing a job? I will be highly appreciate if someone in the oil & gas industry or experienced dudes here could give me some advices.

Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 03:45 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,173,790 times
What did the school's placement office do for you?

Ronnie

Old 06-18-2012, 04:51 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Chemical Engineers with the right skill set are in high demand, but... pharmaceutical experience does not seem compatible with the oil industry to me nor does nanotechnology experience. I am not sure where those skills would fit best.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:02 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,607 times
Unfortunately, you suffer from not having chosen the best internships or co-ops while you were in school. Pharmaceutical is fine, research is fine, but it would have really helped your situation if you had taken an internship or co-op at a chemical plant or refinery. You might want to extend your search beyond Houston to Beaumont or Lake Charles, LA. Not really great places to live, but it would give you much needed experience and then you could move to a more desirable location.

You might want to consider looking for a head hunter or two to help find you a job. You don't pay them, they get paid by the company that hires you once you sign on.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:30 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,282,316 times
My guess is that you are being too picky because the oil industry here is going crazy looking for engineers.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:47 PM

67 posts, read 163,463 times
Imagine the oil economy in Houston if the global economy was also booming.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:34 PM

419 posts, read 1,921,511 times
Several local engineering companies have been having job fairs held around the Houston area recently. You can check the Houston Chronicle employment section for up coming fairs (Sunday paper the best). Or if I were you, I would make a list of the local companies here in town that you find of interest. Then with resume in hand drive to each of them and drop off your resume at their HR and contractor's office. While dropping off your resume, engage the person at that office and tell them your interest in why you are seeking employment with their company. So do your homework on each company first. You'll be surprised at the advantage you'll have over someone just dropping a resume on someones desk and leaving without a discussion.

Also, almost every firm has a website that anyone can view their employment or job offerings. If you find a position that suits you, state that when you drop off the resume.

There is a demand for many engineers here in the city. Target companies specifically, know their business and engage them when you visit them. Interviews will follow.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:26 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,607 times
I certainly do not disagree that engineers are in high demand here. However, they really look for at least some semblance of experience. This is probably why he/she can't find a job. Someone will take a chance on a non experienced engineer it may just take awhile.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:35 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Another possibility - can you hire on as a temporary contract engineer? That might give you a foot in the door. My son did this when he started, but he has his masters in Chem E, not a Bachelors. He moved around a bit before ending up here in Houston. I don't know anything about the reputation of SUNY Buffalo either.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:55 PM

150 posts, read 306,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinghawl View Post
Hi everyone, I am fresh graduate with a bachelor degree in Chemical & Biological Engineering from State University of New York at Buffalo.Prior to my graduation, I have completed an internship in pharmaceutical company for 4 months and a 8-month-long research project in a nanotechnology lab.

I have currently moved to Houston, TX about 1 month ago right after my graduation, hoping to get an entry level chemical engineer position in oil & gascompanies here as the engineering industry in Houston seemed to be pretty promising. Over these few months, I have been sending out tones of my resume through indeed, simply-hired, career-builder and monster. No much positive reply has been received.

It seems to me that my lack of engineering experiences is a big barrier for me in my job search. I also came to realize that barely applying jobs online is not enough.

To be honest, I really have no idea about what else I could do to increase my possibility of landing a job? I will be highly appreciate if someone in the oil & gas industry or experienced dudes here could give me some advices.

Thanks a lot.
Why would you relocate here before finding a job? The job market here is not very good although it is perhaps so I have heard a little better than the rest of the county, but it doesn't seem like it to me. I guess it is alot of hype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: