Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 03:57 PM

200 posts, read 295,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRat44 View Post
Major East End parcel up for grabs - Houston Chronicle

A mile of water front property in a major city is incredible. Let's hope for something better than what happened to Astroworld.
There are some long term plans envisioned by the Buffalo Bayou Partnership. These renderings near East End were made about a decade ago. I think were at least 10-15 years away from having something similar like this coming to fruition in the East End. What gives me hope is that the Buffalo Bayou Partnership had similar renderings for the bayou west of Downtown, and that is slated to begin construction sometime during the summer and finished by 2015. With this huge parcel of land for sale east of downtown, I hope this speeds up the development. Like others have said, this land has so much potential considering it sits on waterfront property and its close proximity to downtown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 04:15 PM

122 posts, read 222,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlady Z View Post
There are some long term plans envisioned by the Buffalo Bayou Partnership. These renderings near East End were made about a decade ago. I think were at least 10-15 years away from having something similar like this coming to fruition in the East End. What gives me hope is that the Buffalo Bayou Partnership had similar renderings for the bayou west of Downtown, and that is slated to begin construction sometime during the summer and finished by 2015. With this huge parcel of land for sale east of downtown, I hope this speeds up the development. Like others have said, this land has so much potential considering it sits on waterfront property and its close proximity to downtown

I was looking at the BBP plans and was thinking this could not have come up for sale at a more perfect time. It is funny because the renderings show this tract with as it is now and what it could look like with development under the plan. Let's just hope that somebody takes advantage of this property and all the potential it holds.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:16 PM

104 posts, read 176,996 times
It will be interesting to see if the site will require a big environmental clean up before it can be re-developed.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:07 AM

162 posts, read 554,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeAtMe View Post
Lol'd at some of the comments. People seem to think you will get stabbed or raped if you step foot outside your house in the area.

agreed. My wife and i live less than a mile from there, and walk our dog at the park/trail on the other side of the river all the time. Sometimes at night even! weve lived here for a few years now, and never had a single problem. Which is more than can be said about some of my friends in sugarland / katy / woodlands. crime is everywhere. people just assume that because a place has minorities, it must be dangerous to venture into.

it will be interesting to see what goes there, but honestly, i like the neighborhood the way it is, and would hate to see it get all jazzed up and become the new midtown.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:21 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeeveryoneelse View Post
agreed. My wife and i live less than a mile from there, and walk our dog at the park/trail on the other side of the river all the time. Sometimes at night even! weve lived here for a few years now, and never had a single problem. Which is more than can be said about some of my friends in sugarland / katy / woodlands. crime is everywhere. people just assume that because a place has minorities, it must be dangerous to venture into.

it will be interesting to see what goes there, but honestly, i like the neighborhood the way it is, and would hate to see it get all jazzed up and become the new midtown.
I think you hit the nail on the head. To me the east side represents what urban living in the more known inner loop areas used to be before they got too.... I don't know what word to use, mainstream, generic, whatever. It is one thing when people who prefer a suburban lifestyle dis the area, okay, it isn't their thing, but when inner loopers do it, it is a bit ironic.

In years past living inside the loop in places like Montrose, Heights, etc. was very different than it is today. In general, people in these urban areas seemed to be a bit more progressive, live and let live. People were into the character of the neighborhoods and the old houses. They weren't overly paranoid about crime either. You had more mom and pop stores from the small hardware stores to the office supply or whatever else you needed. IMO gentrifying neighborhoods hit a "sweet spot" where there is enough revitalization to make them vibrant, but they still retain the diversity & funkiness that makes them interesting.

Unfortunately, that "sweet spot" eventually gives way to what we have now in much of the western half of the inner loop. People that initially moved into these areas because they appreciated the diversity and history and character now see the charming old homes torn down and the trees bulldozed so some cookie cutter townhomes can be thrown in. People move into their brand new place & then complain about the noise from the bar across the alley that has been there for 30 years. They don't look at the bungalows as the draw to be there, but as building sites. They don't care for the urban lifestyle of an older area & the things that go with that, they want their former suburban lifestyle, just without the commute. Ironically though, they quickly adopt the inner loopinati attitude that anything "OTL" is simply barbaric. Anything east of downtown falls into that category as well.

It is amusing to me how these inner loopinati types will berate the east end with comments that echo almost exactly the same objections suburban friends and relatives used to make to those of us that once lived in the western half of the inner loop. "Why do you want to live there?, aren't you scared of the crime?" So on and so forth. It is funny to me how many inner-loopinati who openly voice their disdain for anything suburban will then turn around and look down their nose at other urban areas because, whether they admit it or not, are not as full of middle class & up whites, don't have the so-called upscale chain stores, and only consider them as up & coming when the cookie-cutter lick and stick stone, stucco and hardi townhome boxes begin to appear. In other words, these inner loopers who dog anything that smacks of suburbia, think an urban area isn't worth considering until it possesses more of the characteristics that are most often associated with suburbs. Go figure.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:10 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
It is funny to me how many inner-loopinati who openly voice their disdain for anything suburban will then turn around and look down their nose at other urban areas because, whether they admit it or not, are not as full of middle class & up whites, don't have the so-called upscale chain stores, and only consider them as up & coming when the cookie-cutter lick and stick stone, stucco and hardi townhome boxes begin to appear. In other words, these inner loopers who dog anything that smacks of suburbia, think an urban area isn't worth considering until it possesses more of the characteristics that are most often associated with suburbs. Go figure.
It's the path of every urbanizing city. Most people want space and uniformity but hate wasting time in traffic, so when they can afford it, they move to the areas that provide them the best of both worlds (atleast they think). They only compromise grudgingly and only if they can't get the government to fix their problems. Otherwise they give up and move out and trudge through the mass of cars like everyone else. The only thing that breaks the cycle is recession, depression and improved transport to the 'burbs. Just ask Detroit, but then again how many people love living in inner Detroit anymore.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:24 AM

660 posts, read 1,616,713 times
i used to work with KBR. while all o&g companies are booming right now, kbr dont have projects.
i wonder why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: