Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 08:33 PM

12,733 posts, read 21,629,218 times

Advertisements

Maybe in the future, yall will have rail access to your airports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 05:50 PM

12 posts, read 17,823 times
light rail is a glorified bus with no tires. Except that it is much more expensive. I see no difference in stealing a lane from a current road and dedicating it to a bus instead of light rail. Sure would save a lot of money.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:16 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,050,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micmac99 View Post
Not all Park and Ride facilities are directly adjacent to freeways or serve the Park and Ride buses exclusively. I live near the Gessner Park and Ride which is adjacent only to the Westpark Tollway. The single express route that serves it comes from the Westchase Park and Ride, itself adjacent to the Sam Houston Tollway
Ok, freeways and tollways. Point was, they are next to major highways.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:16 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,014,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crank_it_up View Post
light rail is a glorified bus with no tires. Except that it is much more expensive. I see no difference in stealing a lane from a current road and dedicating it to a bus instead of light rail. Sure would save a lot of money.
except it is a lot more efficient to use a train than the amount of buses one would need to transport the same amount of people

Old 07-01-2012, 10:19 PM

12 posts, read 17,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
except it is a lot more efficient to use a train than the amount of buses one would need to transport the same amount of people
hmmm.... if the train were full or nearly full, I'd have to agree with you, but the times that I have been able to see our current light rail in action, they were not very full.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:30 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,950,117 times
Quote:
Exactly. Transmilenio.

TransMilenio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-01-2012, 11:19 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,122,235 times
Quote:
hmmm.... if the train were full or nearly full, I'd have to agree with you, but the times that I have been able to see our current light rail in action, they were not very full.
Which is exactly why Houston has the second highest daily boardings per a mile of any light-rail system in the country, behind Boston of all places, says the person who has actually ridden the "toy train."

Pretty impressive for a city of this density.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:06 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,138,060 times
Quote:
You sometimes riders kill me, take it from people who ride both the bus and the rails on a dailiy, I remeber what getting down main street was like before the rails(never again) , ask the doc in the medical center if they prefer a road or the rail, trust me catch the rails in the morning or lunch or evening and there is barely room to stand hell there have been times I have decided to wait for the next one because of the sheer size of the crowd and thats the twin one they hook up of heavy flow.. Like I said you everyonce in a while riders kills me when you try to tell eveyday riders about what houston needs when it comes to mass trainst

Old 07-03-2012, 10:01 AM

23,739 posts, read 14,840,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
The "poor folk" argument doesn't wash with Park n Rides, which have fares around $4 each way and don't get you around the burbs but simply dump you into a big parking lot you pretty much need a car to reach.

And there are Park n Rides in that general area already. Every Park n Ride is adjacent to a freeway so I kinda doubt there was ever a proposal to put one on Steubner @ 1960.
The agent who sold us our house in 1998 was very proud of her participation in the effort to stop a park and ride here. She relayed to story in detail, regularly, to anyone who would listen.

We lived here 30 years ago when the decision was made to put in contra flow lanes. Everyone joked that the lane would be marked off with Folger's cans in the morning and Maxwell House in the evening. A truck pulled a trailer with a person sitting very close to the ground while putting out the cones to separate the lane.

The first bus in the north came to a church on 1960 near Northgate golf club. DH was one of the few people on it. That night, I had to go to Main and Elgin to bring him home because the bus did not show up. Our neighbor and friend, who had just moved down from Chicago to work for Metro, or whatever they called it in the formative stages, called to see how it went. He followed the bus route for the next week just to make sure no one was stranded. There was a park and ride at the church for years.

It took a while, but soon there was more than a few busses.

NIMBY people still complain about mass transit it Houston. I read it on CD frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston