Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:09 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times

Advertisements

Why did the congressman ban funding for the other lines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 01:35 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The agent who sold us our house in 1998 was very proud of her participation in the effort to stop a park and ride here. She relayed to story in detail, regularly, to anyone who would listen.
Excuse me for not putting much stock into third party hearsay you heard 14 years ago.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:54 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Why did the congressman ban funding for the other lines?
Because he is an arrogant clown who claims to be a true Republican but thinks DC should be able to tell cities what to do. I guess after George HW Bush and Bill Archer being the two previous representatives for that district, that district was due for a dud. But man, what a dropoff!

Basically he opposed rail before and instead of running for a local office keeps trying to stop it from DC. Its actually the best part of the rail proposal and frivilous lawsuits have delayed it.

I'm a Republican, was in his district for a while (and got his idiotic mail with its ridiculous polls that tried to steer your answer), and voted against the rail proposal, but it is time for Culberson to get out of the way and let the local government rule itself. There's no better argument for term limits than Culberson.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:37 PM

312 posts, read 797,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Because he is an arrogant clown who claims to be a true Republican but thinks DC should be able to tell cities what to do. I guess after George HW Bush and Bill Archer being the two previous representatives for that district, that district was due for a dud. But man, what a dropoff!

Basically he opposed rail before and instead of running for a local office keeps trying to stop it from DC. Its actually the best part of the rail proposal and frivilous lawsuits have delayed it.

I'm a Republican, was in his district for a while (and got his idiotic mail with its ridiculous polls that tried to steer your answer), and voted against the rail proposal, but it is time for Culberson to get out of the way and let the local government rule itself. There's no better argument for term limits than Culberson.
Culberson is nowhere NEAR even the caliber of Poppa Bush and I am NOT a fan of President 41 by ANY means.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:27 PM

5 posts, read 9,778 times
Richmond rail will ruin my business. Scares me. I put everything I have into it.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:42 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoapHand View Post
Richmond rail will ruin my business. Scares me. I put everything I have into it.
By ruin do you mean eminent domain will demolish your business?

Old 07-19-2012, 08:43 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,372 times
Quote:
or increase it foot traffic and the city learned from it mistake with main street and put alot of money into helping businss stay afloat during the construction by encouring people to visit those places ..Metro Encourages Houstonians To 'Rally Around The Rails' and also I belive there is a program were they they will subuzied lost income for the construction phase..but I do not know if that is still true or how it works

Old 07-19-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Explain. I honestly don't get it. Light rail increases foot traffic and walkability, and the stretch of Richmond from Buffalo Speedway to the railroad tracks is absolutely PERFECT for light rail. The density and types of businesses (shops, fast food, Ragin Cajun, "design center" shops, Art Institute, Lakewood Church, Greenway Plaza) make it a NATURAL and it's a wonder they didn't do it 15 years ago. Get it done. If you are THAT concerned about your business dying on Richmond Avenue if rail is put in there, maybe it's not a good fit for Richmond Avenue.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
or increase it foot traffic and the city learned from it mistake with main street and put alot of money into helping businss stay afloat during the construction by encouring people to visit those places ..Metro Encourages Houstonians To 'Rally Around The Rails' and also I belive there is a program were they they will subuzied lost income for the construction phase..but I do not know if that is still true or how it works
I lived in Phoenix when their light rail went in. Central Avenue was completely torn up with mud and orange safety cones and heavy equipment for all of 2007 and 2008 and businesses were freaking out. Some didn't make it, others moved to other parts of town and still others hung in there. Central Phoenix is doing just fine now and they are trying like heck to expand the system. There was a program in place to get people to patronize businesses during construction, which did help some. Salt Lake City had a similar program in place as well.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:30 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micmac99 View Post
I lived in Phoenix when their light rail went in. Central Avenue was completely torn up with mud and orange safety cones and heavy equipment for all of 2007 and 2008 and businesses were freaking out. Some didn't make it, others moved to other parts of town and still others hung in there. Central Phoenix is doing just fine now and they are trying like heck to expand the system. There was a program in place to get people to patronize businesses during construction, which did help some. Salt Lake City had a similar program in place as well.
So basically any type of major construction can cause businesses pain. Yep. I wonder though if dialysis has a specific non-customer related issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston