U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 12:39 AM

688 posts, read 1,075,523 times

Advertisements

What about a good inspector with fair prices?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 04:16 AM

52 posts, read 130,624 times
Taylor Morrison is good. They build an array of different homes and prices.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:04 AM

987 posts, read 2,271,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
All three are important. I have attended a pre-slab inspection where things were not aligned properly. It woud have resulted in problems later. The final one is also important. I have seen several where the first two were done and corrected - and yet the final was very long.
Oh of course, however if you only have money for one, i think that one is the most important. The last one can be done at at any point during the one year warranty.

The slab, usually builders have it inspected well due to the fact they are liable for several years. This will vary from builder to builder. I felt mine was a waste of money, or at least my inspector didn't really do squat but tell me they have to remove some of the trash. He said everything else looked fine...

The pre sheet rock was almost as bad, our inspector missed a lot of items that the bulders inspector caught. So i felt like i wasted money on that too.

I ended up not doing the last inspection, one a lot of the items were corrected by the contruction manager, and others were caught by us. It's mostly visual at this point.

So it really just depends on the quality of inspector you have. I had two different ones and seemed like waste of $, but i've heard great stories from others.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:37 AM

127 posts, read 379,890 times
I say go out there is very important. I didn't think it would be any use for me to go out there since I don't know dilly squat about how a house goes up, but you be surprise. You know if something doesn't seem right once you are out there, just take your time looking around and see if it make sense on what they are doing. Plus, it's actually pretty cool watching them and if you have concern are doubt ask the construction manager and have him go out take a look. What I did is just take picture of my concerns and emailed to him and see what he thinks and if what he said make sense.

Hiring an inspector is one of those things to me, you can end up either wasting money or end up find a lot of flaws. I always wonder about the three phase inspection if it's worth it or not since when you buy an inventory home, you really can't get a three phase inspection and there are tons of people who buy inventory homes and are happy. So is it worth it to hire someone for all three phases? If so then is it worth it to buy an inventory home since you can't get it inspected for all three phases?

Maybe someone can chime in about this.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:22 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,427,936 times
I am just reading the posts and it hit me.

Inspectors: Just like every other business, they're good ones and crooks. Is up to you to do your home work and get a good inspector. Nobody can help here but YOU. Don't blame it on a bad inspector but rather yourself.

Self Inspection: Nobody knows everything about everything, such a building a house. Read, educate yourself, don't be lazy, read more, ask a lot of questions (even stupid ones), and if you don't like what you hear ask again. Same as before "Is up to you to do your home work and do a good inspection yourself. Nobody can help here but YOU"

Many people done it and is not rocket science.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:49 AM

987 posts, read 2,271,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
I am just reading the posts and it hit me.

Inspectors: Just like every other business, they're good ones and crooks. Is up to you to do your home work and get a good inspector. Nobody can help here but YOU. Don't blame it on a bad inspector but rather yourself.

Self Inspection: Nobody knows everything about everything, such a building a house. Read, educate yourself, don't be lazy, read more, ask a lot of questions (even stupid ones), and if you don't like what you hear ask again. Same as before "Is up to you to do your home work and do a good inspection yourself. Nobody can help here but YOU"

Many people done it and is not rocket science.
I did homework, and even then.

Good thing is i'm fairly savy with what is invovled and did a lot of research. So that's why overall, i'm happy with the quality of how things turned out with mine. However not everyone has the same luck.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:10 PM

1,408 posts, read 3,820,345 times
Good advice here, especially about the 3-phase inspection. Most builder invite you to visit the home whenever you'd like. Highly suggested to do so. If you aren't getting that feeling from the builder or the site super, then be extra careful. Although a phase inspection isn't a must, if you can afford it, then it can't hurt and will really only help.

We've worked with all types of inspectors and I can almost guarantee that 3 different inspectors will come up with 3 similar, but different reports. Some better than others. Just like an appraiser, it's an opinion, not a science.

In regards to the best home builders. Anyone look at JD Power anymore?

Old 06-20-2012, 04:09 PM

4,900 posts, read 12,835,841 times
Its amazing to me how many people would drop several hundred thousand dollars on a house but be too cheap to spend a few hundred on an inspection.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:01 AM

79 posts, read 283,859 times
Someone mentioned JD Power: 2010 Customer Satisfaction Survey & 2010 New Home Quality Study

Old 06-21-2012, 08:53 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,427,936 times
Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
its amazing to me how many people would drop several hundred thousand dollars on a house but be too cheap to spend a few hundred on an inspection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston