U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 02:05 PM

340 posts, read 747,177 times

Advertisements

Where would you rank David Weekley out of the Houston home builders? Who are the best/worst?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 02:12 PM

3,333 posts, read 8,598,997 times
In the top 5. No particular order:

Trendmaker
Weekly
Perry
DR Horton
Ashford

...some will name others and I will probably agree. Any not mentioned by anyone suck.

Ronnie

Old 06-19-2012, 02:55 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,394,340 times
This is my second Weekly home. Cookie cutters but they will do a lot of custom which I did. They have gorgeous designs.
Their warranty and follow up is just outstanding and I speak from personal experience. The best shop ever.
As for building they're no different than any other quality builders. They use better quality parts but the same mexican crews so you have to stay on top of them during the building process. Lastly, their green / energy saving features rocks. They truly deliver as promised in the green space.

They're number ONE for me

Old 06-19-2012, 03:33 PM

67 posts, read 150,904 times
What's the best way to 'stay on top of them?' Just go to the sites and look and get a feel if things are going well? Hire a building inspector?

Old 06-19-2012, 03:38 PM

9,053 posts, read 15,940,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegrowingintohouston View Post
What's the best way to 'stay on top of them?' Just go to the sites and look and get a feel if things are going well? Hire a building inspector?
Both. Get an inspector to do a 3-parter - right before the foundation pour, one before the "skin" (sheetrock) goes up, and a final. Go during the day, if possible. Certain ones of the crew will notice you and those are the homes I have had the least trouble (if any). Weekley, Trendmaker, Highland, etc. - all were cooperative.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:02 PM

974 posts, read 2,241,908 times
Village Builders
Trendmaker
Newmark Homes
Highland Homes
Darling Homes
Perry
David Weekly - Outdated designs in my opinion, but good builder none the less.
Plantation/Coventry Homes
Westin Homes
Chesmar Homes
First Texas Homes

Those are the ones i can think of

Old 06-19-2012, 04:02 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,280,030 times
I luckily lived only a mile from our new house, so I was there almost every day or two looking at things and taking pictures to "stay on top of them". That is the best way to a good home; build up a rapport with the building superintendant and keep up with him on the progress. I would say at the least, stop by once a week and spend an hour or more if you can. If they know you are looking, they will be vigilant too.

If I could have afforded it back them, we would have bought a Weekley or Trendmaker home no question. But we were stretching it with our $200K budget back then, and both builders started in the $250s in the neighborhood near us.

Last edited by trbstang; 06-19-2012 at 04:31 PM..

Old 06-19-2012, 05:36 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,394,340 times
+1

Exactly that. For me a got a 5 phase/stage inspector and also inspect myself everyday since I was very close with the construction

Now 2 years later I have no major problem, very minor stuff and Weekly has been fantastic taking care of it even after warranty. Can't be wrong with that

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Both. Get an inspector to do a 3-parter - right before the foundation pour, one before the "skin" (sheetrock) goes up, and a final. Go during the day, if possible. Certain ones of the crew will notice you and those are the homes I have had the least trouble (if any). Weekley, Trendmaker, Highland, etc. - all were cooperative.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:18 PM

974 posts, read 2,241,908 times
Regardless of builder. Try to visit the site and let the constriction manager know you are watching the process. Also pre sheet rock is the stage id recommend the most.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:33 PM

9,053 posts, read 15,940,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_guerrajr View Post
Regardless of builder. Try to visit the site and let the constriction manager know you are watching the process. Also pre sheet rock is the stage id recommend the most.
All three are important. I have attended a pre-slab inspection where things were not aligned properly. It woud have resulted in problems later. The final one is also important. I have seen several where the first two were done and corrected - and yet the final was very long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston