Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 01:14 PM

62 posts, read 129,948 times

Advertisements

I have one question: How would you compare the summer months from where you came from to Houston's summer weather?

I have a no. of reasons to choose Houston/Texas over a ANY city, but significantly hotter weather than I'm used to in the lowcountry in SC COULD be a deterrent. If the weather is, at least, comparable, then it'd be no problem. Of course, it can get VERY humid and hot in the southeast, but I've managed to get by. However, I see people say it's a lot hotter than they expected...

...but I'm interested in what individuals from the southeast feel about the heat and humidity in Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 05:24 PM

1,326 posts, read 3,451,717 times
I'm from North Carolina and temperature-wise it's not too much hotter down here.
It's the humidity that makes the summers down here unbearable at times.
It's just something you have to get used to.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:06 PM

811 posts, read 1,556,967 times
And the summer heat lasts a lot longer, several months not weeks.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:22 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMayBeMaybeNot View Post
I have one question: How would you compare the summer months from where you came from to Houston's summer weather?

I have a no. of reasons to choose Houston/Texas over a ANY city, but significantly hotter weather than I'm used to in the lowcountry in SC COULD be a deterrent. If the weather is, at least, comparable, then it'd be no problem. Of course, it can get VERY humid and hot in the southeast, but I've managed to get by. However, I see people say it's a lot hotter than they expected...

...but I'm interested in what individuals from the southeast feel about the heat and humidity in Houston.
If you can tolerate the summers in central SC then you'll be fine in Houston. Southeast Texas would be considered more humid, but the significance of that is relative. For me, it was negligible.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:49 AM

62 posts, read 129,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
If you can tolerate the summers in central SC then you'll be fine in Houston. Southeast Texas would be considered more humid, but the significance of that is relative. For me, it was negligible.
Yeah, it cooks here during the summer.

It's really hot and humid, but as I've lived in the SE my entire life, I could DEAL with it even if I don't necessarily like it.

Anything significantly hotter than where I'm from, and I can't do it.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:14 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Maybe the question is not if "it's as hot," but how much longer does it "stay hot" in Houston than SC.

You aren't going to get four seasons or a fall in Houston. Fall-like temps tend to come in after Thanksgiving. Spring is over in late April/Early May. Goddam Hot starts in mid to late may.

Also, Houston doesn't "cool in the evenings" nor does it get cool fronts like SC/NC/Ga. Or if it does, it cools it from 98 down to 92. Yeehaw. I've been in Atlanta where a front came through in July and it was 72-75 as a high for a few days...yeah, well NEVER happens in Houston.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Maybe the question is not if "it's as hot," but how much longer does it "stay hot" in Houston than SC.

You aren't going to get four seasons or a fall in Houston. Fall-like temps tend to come in after Thanksgiving. Spring is over in late April/Early May. Goddam Hot starts in mid to late may.
People exaggerate the seasons here, seemingly to impress people I'm guessing.

Quote:
Also, Houston doesn't "cool in the evenings" nor does it get cool fronts like SC/NC/Ga. Or if it does, it cools it from 98 down to 92. Yeehaw. I've been in Atlanta where a front came through in July and it was 72-75 as a high for a few days...yeah, well NEVER happens in Houston.
When was this event in Atlanta? I didn't see any record of it over the past ten years. If there was a high near 75, it was due to storming. If it does happen without rain, it's likely more rare than snow for Houston.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMayBeMaybeNot View Post
Yeah, it cooks here during the summer.

It's really hot and humid, but as I've lived in the SE my entire life, I could DEAL with it even if I don't necessarily like it.

Anything significantly hotter than where I'm from, and I can't do it.
At the end of the day, the only way to discover if you can tolerate Houston's summers is to experience them yourself. Our opinions are just our opinions, and are no guarantee of what your perspective will be. I do hope we've been some help, though.

One thing I tell people: if you're visiting Houston just to visit, then come in November. If you're coming to visit before you move here, then come in August so you can see what you're committing to.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:42 AM

811 posts, read 1,556,967 times
Nairobi; People exaggerate the seasons here, seemingly to impress people I'm guessing.

I don't think there is any exaggerating about it. I lived in NC for 10 years. The climate is completely different to Houston and the fact remains it stays hotter longer here.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:12 AM

Cabot, it's not so much about how long the heat lasts, but it's statements like "fall weather doesn't come until after Thanksgiving" or "there's only two seasons: hot and hotter". Those types of statements ARE exaggerations, and they're quite common when discussing our weather. Houston does have four seasons. They just show up whenever they want.

Keep in mind that the OP isn't in Raleigh or Asheville, but he/she's coming from the SC Lowcountry, which is warm and humid. Their weather is hardly worlds away from ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: