Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 08:48 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times

Advertisements

Park where ever you want. Hell, go park in front of your neighbors house. I could careless if someone parked in front of my house so long as their tires weren't on my grass or blocking my driveway. You shouldn't have to make sure you park in a different spot every time you come home.

People complain about the dumbest sh*t ever. God forbid they ever had a real problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 09:36 AM

833 posts, read 1,886,584 times
If you have room in your driveway then park in your driveway. That is what I like about my HOA, it states that parking on the street is only allowed if your driveway is full. This helps keep the narrow streets clear for getting threw the neighborhood.

I hate parked cars on the street just for a safety point that kids can easily dart out from behind a parked car and get hit. For curb appeal also a clear street just looks better. When looking for a home I always stayed away from cars everywhere, it gives the appearance that the neighborhood is overloaded and 20 people are living in every house.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:12 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
My brother-in-law was parking his car on the street in front of the section of grass btwn his house and the neighbors. Neighbor left a nasty note that if he continued to park there, they would have it towed (which they can't). But he woke up one day to a badly keyed side of car. Can't prove who did it - but one can only guess.

Driveways - they are a good thing and serve a purpose - use 'em.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:52 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
What's in the HOA regulation?? Did you checked on it?? Did you talked with anyone from the Association?
When I looked to buy a house I steered away from neighborhoods where people were parking on a street - this kind of behavior is usually a beginning of things going worse. There's no quicker way to give your neighborhood that ghetto look. Next things I would expect is a boombox music from the garage, front lawn parties, not keeping up with the lawn and house maintenance, parking on the lawn, hillbilly yards with an abundance of crap out front, untagged junk cars etc.
Obviously your HOA try to keep their neighborhood up to standards and your neighbor is just oversensitive to such things. Maybe he lived in a place where the property values went down because people started not to care?
Most HOA do not allow to park campers/RV's/boats on the driveway either.

Last edited by elnina; 06-23-2012 at 03:05 PM..

Old 06-23-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
What's in the HOA regulation?? Did you checked on it?? Did you talked with anyone from the Association?
When I looked to buy a house I steered away from neighborhoods where people were parking on a street - this kind of behavior is usually a beginning of things going worse. There's no quicker way to give your neighborhood that ghetto look. Next things I would expect is a boombox music from the garage, front lawn parties, not keeping up with the lawn and house maintenance, parking on the lawn, hillbilly yards with an abundance of crap out front, untagged junk cars etc.
Obviously your HOA try to keep their neighborhood up to standards and your neighbor is just oversensitive to such things. Maybe he lived in a place where the property values went down because people started not to care?
Most HOA do not allow to park campers/RV's/boats on the driveway either.

OP already stated what it says.

But here you go

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtomt2day View Post
First I want to say thanks to everyone who gave me great ideas about what to do.

I have good news.

First what I've found out is that I was right about the HOA rules. They do not specifically forbid parking on streets but do say its a nuisance. The City of Houston Police Department enforces this rule if a resident calls about a car that has not moved in 24 hours.

In our case, the friend's car was definitely moved within 24 hours and we can prove it. But since any resident can call the cops if *they* think a car has not been moved the situation is ripe for abuse. We think that's what happened in our case because our friend was careful to park in the same spot each time she came back. Someone looking out their window might think she had never left---and that's probably what happened.

The good news is that in this neighborhood, where the deed restriction committee meets ONCE PER MONTH!, the official first step for handing a 'parking problem' is calling the cops. That means that although this behavior was rude and unneighborly (if that's a word), it does not look like they singled us out to get extreme and different treatment. That's what I was worried about.

My guess is that the other people who park on the street have already had this battle and just make sure their cars are in very different positions each time they return.

When everyone gets home tonight we'll have a discussion about either continuing to play musical cars in the wee hours of the morning or my friend just going back to parking on the street, which is much more convenient for everyone.

Thanks again!

Old 06-23-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
My brother-in-law was parking his car on the street in front of the section of grass btwn his house and the neighbors. Neighbor left a nasty note that if he continued to park there, they would have it towed (which they can't). But he woke up one day to a badly keyed side of car. Can't prove who did it - but one can only guess.

Yes they are but if the HOA doesn't have anything against it then or it is a public road then you can park on it. Most new driveways in a lot of neighborhoods can't handle more than 2 cars. Some people even have 1 car garages and parking more than 1 car in the driveway is not convenient.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:08 PM

613 posts, read 1,002,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Neighborhoods where people park on the streets always look a little trashy...
All in where you come from I guess. Live in a true urban environment like Chicago and both sides of every street are wall-to-wall cars. I don't think twice about it when I see cars on the street.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:32 PM

^^^ I agree. In urban settings cars parked on the street is a normal view. Most condominiums do not have parking garage or designed parking lot, but in a neighborhood where people have own garage and driveways, there is no reason to park the car on the street.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:38 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post

You can't leave it at a cliffhanger....

What happened next?

Old 06-23-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Yes they are but if the HOA doesn't have anything against it then or it is a public road then you can park on it. Most new driveways in a lot of neighborhoods can't handle more than 2 cars. Some people even have 1 car garages and parking more than 1 car in the driveway is not convenient.

Normally you park on the street when your garage and driveway is already occupied by cars, and you don't have other choice.
I guess, you can park on the street in areas ( neighborhoods ) where it does not create problem and animosities. Obviously, the neighborhood where OP lives, do not have a kind eye for such behavior.
And... what is the big deal with refusing to park in an own driveway??? something with being stubborn, perhaps??

Here are more threads about this topic:
//www.city-data.com/forum/houst...-not-park.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: