Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 08:10 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
How do we know one is really unfortunate and homeless from the fake?
Not much you can do to discern. You just have to go on gut instinct. Occasionally, I will buy a fast food lunch and hand it to a homeless person when I feel that voice inside guide me - when I get that gut feeling that says "do it this time." Right or wrong about the situation doesn't matter to me, following my instinct on an occasion does matter to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 11:41 PM

37 posts, read 59,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalapenochips View Post
Houston, especially Downtown is the worst I've ever seen in terms of aggressive beggars/vagrants in a major urban area -- have been approached with some pretty wacky and elaborate stories, repeatedly.

What boggles my mind is how often I see people handing over bills - especially on interchanges in the Galleria area...assuming these guys take $10-15 an hour, they're doing better (unless they file W2s) than many hard working people.
Agreed. I just asked my wife who is a flight attendant and spends plenty of time in other cities. She said from her experience with encountering beggers, San Francisco is annoying and so is Wash D.C. However, she said Houston is by far the worse. She made a good point which I have too noticed. Anyone else realize that at any gas from Beltway 8 to downtown, it is very rare to find a squeegee at a gas station because all of the homeless steal them???

Old 07-06-2012, 07:12 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
Just returned from Austin and while nobody approached me, they do have a serious homeless population going on in the downtown area.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:54 AM

30 posts, read 71,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
How do we know one is really unfortunate and homeless from the fake?
An easy way would be to simply ask, who did you vote for? The Repubs would be the unfortunate ones who lost thier job and homes recently, the Dems would be the lazy, give me free stuff, fake ones!

(ducks and covers)

Old 07-07-2012, 07:22 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
I've run into one so far.

Strangely, most of the other beggars have been squirrels. If they see you eating something, they want some too.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:44 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Just because someone thinks something doesn't make it so. It's all about hard numbers. Anyone who's ever written a college paper knows this. All of the other cities you listed have many less cars on the road than Houston.

Homeless population increases 25% in Houston - Houston Chronicle

Homeless remain America's 'invisible population'

Quote:
Houston is the fourth largest city in the U.S. and possesses the third highest homeless population in the nation. Approximately 15,000 homeless individuals in Houston live in abandoned buildings, on cardboard makeshift beds, under freeways, and in shelters throughout the city.
The last one is from 2010, the first one (25% increase from 2011). So add that.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:30 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Homeless population increases 25% in Houston - Houston Chronicle

Homeless remain America's 'invisible population'

The last one is from 2010, the first one (25% increase from 2011). So add that.
You still have to factor in the population growth of Houston. As cited many times on this site, the census and Forbes, Houston is one of the fastest growing cities in the US. So, relatively speaking you can't expect the homeless population per capita to have changed that much. Trust me, people, when you live in a high density area, you get to have more bums sleep right in front of your doorstep.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:45 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
You still have to factor in the population growth of Houston. As cited many times on this site, the census and Forbes, Houston is one of the fastest growing cities in the US. So, relatively speaking you can't expect the homeless population per capita to have changed that much. Trust me, people, when you live in a high density area, you get to have more bums sleep right in front of your doorstep.

25% in one year? That's more than just "population growth". Besides, it says ouston has the third largest homeless population. And that was before the 25% increase.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:02 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
25% in one year? That's more than just "population growth". Besides, it says ouston has the third largest homeless population. And that was before the 25% increase.
It's not. People probably come here thinking it's cheap and they'll have a job, and then it isn't and they don't.

Actually, the link that you cited even said that. "The increased numbers are partly due to the recession, said coalition President and CEO Connie Boyd. Texas' economy fared relatively well, so "people moved here because of the hope of getting a job," she said. 'It didn't always work out.'"

3rd largest homeless population and 4th largest city. That's only one spot difference. Plus, the homeless population is predominantly concentrated in the densest parts of Houston.

So yes, there are a lot of beggars in Houston, but putting it in perspective of homeless population per capita, it's not anything out of the ordinary. Again, this is not to minimize the issue, but to bring perspective to it, for people who seem to be "wiggin' out."

Metro Areas with Highest Rates of Homelessness

Metro Rank
Homeless People Per
10,000 Population

1. Tampa, Fla. 57 2. New Orleans 56 3. Fresno, Calif. 54 4. Las Vegas 50 5. Honolulu, Hawaii 47 U.S. National Average 21

Las Vegas has Fourth Highest Rate of Homelessness in U.S. - 8 News NOW

You can see where Houston stands here.
www.endhomelessness.org/files/4361_file_Appendix_One.pdf

Last edited by theSUBlime; 07-08-2012 at 07:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston