Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 01:14 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
I totally agree with you. IMO, mass transit would be fine for to/from work M-F (unless it rains). As an augment to a car. But mass transit without a car?

I often wonder how people who live in these large cities without a car are able to shop. Just last weekend, I needed a case of Ozarka, a 12-pack of toilet paper, an 8-pack of paper towels, two large bags of dog food, a 24-pack of Mountain Dew, and numerous other food and personal items, which filled the cart to capacity.
I agree with you on the former.

Now on to the latter: Historically before refrigeration, people shopped almost every day for food. I think a quick 10 minute trip inside the independently-owned corner store on the way home is not a burden since you pass by it on the way home from your neighborhood's bus/train stop anyway.

It's a lot of work to get all those groceries from your car's trunk to your kitchen but effortless to hand-carry at most, a couple of bags, into your kitchen over a few days.

I'd like Houston's density to match New York since all of it would still be in Texas instead of parts of the city being in neighboring states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 01:19 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Why the hell people want to live on top of each other is beyond my comprehension.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-22-2012, 01:27 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Quote:
I totally agree with you. IMO, mass transit would be fine for to/from work M-F (unless it rains). As an augment to a car. But mass transit without a car?

I often wonder how people who live in these large cities without a car are able to shop. Just last weekend, I needed a case of Ozarka, a 12-pack of toilet paper, an 8-pack of paper towels, two large bags of dog food, a 24-pack of Mountain Dew, and numerous other food and personal items, which filled the cart to capacity.

Do they have to pay considerable sums of money to have this stuff delivered to them? And then have to tip too?
You just go to the store more often and don't buy things in bulk. Not that hard.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:44 PM

613 posts, read 1,002,148 times
Quote:

Do they have to pay considerable sums of money to have this stuff delivered to them? And then have to tip too?
Here is the thing: when you live in an area that is so dense that you don't need a car, you rarely ever make such large shopping trips plus most of what you need is within walking distance. Growing up in Chicago, living in Seoul, Paris, London, Brussels, Singapore and Bangkok, the grocery store was never more than a block from where I lived.

Basically, you go to the grocery store nearly every day because it is convenient to do so. If you need to go a bit further out to a hypermarket and buy so much that you cannot carry it on a bus or train, you simply load up a taxi and off you go.

In any case, living quarters tend to be smaller the more dense the location. To adapt, the fridge is smaller, less cabinet space, etc. You don't buy 24-packs of Mountain Dew (heck, most countries don't even sell 24-packs given we are just about the only country in the world that thinks it is a perfectly normal thing to consume loads of sugary drinks).

Old 06-22-2012, 01:47 PM

613 posts, read 1,002,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Why the hell people want to live on top of each other is beyond my comprehension.

20yrsinBranson
Don't knock it until you have tried it. I grew up in a town home in Chicago and the idea of living in a high rise was never appealing. Since then, I have lived in apartment buildings all over the world including large high rises in Seoul and Bangkok. I've enjoyed it every time. I actually miss it a little bit now.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:18 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
It's not supposed to eliminate cars... it's supposed to reduce the number of cars on the road..

Quote:
You'd be surprised how nice some of those apartments are
add to that, shaded parking under the building and not having to mow the yard.

I checked out a model apartment in Seoul.... it was Bad A..

Old 06-22-2012, 05:49 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
You just go to the store more often and don't buy things in bulk. Not that hard.
It's hard for lazy people to comprehend this.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:00 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,363 times
Quote:

Like people have said, you buy less and/or shop more often. Also, cities with effective mass transit do tend to be smaller and denser than Houston but a taxi is usually not terribly expensive if you live less than 5 miles away. Boston, for example, is only about 60 sq miles (so literally about a 1/10 the size of Houston). If I know I'm going to buy a lot, I plan on getting a taxi and budget about $15 when I'm shopping. If you're lucky, you can walk. Orrrr, if you're really cool, you get a Zipcar. Businesses tend to gravitate towards dense population centers, so if you live in a dense area, you're usually not too far away. Crazy, HUH!?!

Old 06-22-2012, 11:20 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:

20yrsinBranson
I bet they say the same thing when they hear that some people in Houston drive to work 100 miles/day

Old 06-23-2012, 08:58 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
Don't knock it until you have tried it. I grew up in a town home in Chicago and the idea of living in a high rise was never appealing. Since then, I have lived in apartment buildings all over the world including large high rises in Seoul and Bangkok. I've enjoyed it every time. I actually miss it a little bit now.
I've lived in New Orleans and Phoenix and a few other smaller cities. As far as living in a rural environment. Don't knock it until you have tried it. LOL

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: