Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 01:09 AM

10 posts, read 15,034 times

Advertisements

We may be relocating to Texas for work in either Huntsville or Dayton (not sure which area as of yet). We are trying to figure out where fo live for either place. We do have children so being in a diverse and family friendly area is important. We would also need to find a great school. We would prefer a charter school if available however are open to a very good public school. We would need to rent first and have a budget around 1200.

Which areas would be best? Good school, lots to do (park,museums,movie theaters,restaurants,etc). I was looking in Conroe, however after reading old posts on here I became a bit concerned. Woodland seems out of our price range and Springs seemed to far for commute (although hubby stated he is open to a 45min commute). Are there other areas I should look into?

What are the best areas between for Dayton? Hubby states that the best option would be somewhere between Dayton and huntsville just in case he has to travel between the to areas.

As I am not familiar with Texas at all, I am not sure what areas are considered good or bad in either city so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 07:57 PM

wow, forgive my typos.... It was really late/early. Up reading various posts within the forum and becoming quite overwhelmed with everything.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:24 PM

23,965 posts, read 15,059,733 times
Go to Huntsville. There is not much in Dayton. Not much in Huntsville either. At least they have a state college along with the prison. You may want the northern edge of The Woodlands or Conroe. I have known many people who have commuted to Huntsville for school from Spring. I would not do it every day.

If you get stuck in Dayton, there is civilization around Lake Houston.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:23 AM

thanks! That is helpful. I am hoping for Huntsville. Is Conroe a nice area? I was looking in the 77303 and 77301 zip codes just to be closer to a 35-40 min commute. Woodland seems nice but definitely expensive.

In reading some of the older posts, Conroe seemed more rural than I'd like and some people didn't like the school district. How would you describe it now?

Old 06-26-2012, 04:17 AM

341 posts, read 802,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBnd View Post
thanks! That is helpful. I am hoping for Huntsville. Is Conroe a nice area? I was looking in the 77303 and 77301 zip codes just to be closer to a 35-40 min commute. Woodland seems nice but definitely expensive.

In reading some of the older posts, Conroe seemed more rural than I'd like and some people didn't like the school district. How would you describe it now?
Conroe is a pretty nice on the west side of town, but I believe DWI is the biggest problem around that area. Conroe has enough shopping and eatery that you don't have to drive to The Woodlands to get it. It isn't as rural as before, but it isn't a city like The Woodlands which has sort of become. Most of the Woodlands (K-12) schools are CISD, I think school district isn't that bad since they haven't had problems with deficits as in other districts, actually they are expanding with more schools this upcoming year. The Woodlands is not as expensive as people percieve to be, you still can find houses in the $150 range, but those yearly taxings makes it expensive. Conroe has a lot of hispanics within the city, so it is pretty mixed in the area. For consistent and exciting living, no better place than the Woods, but Conroe is good for its proximity to your work and is ideal for living. Woods>Conroe>Huntsville>Dayton.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:59 AM

Thank you bloodwings19! I will look further in The Woodlands to see if I can find a place. And I will continue to check out Conroe. I don't have any idea want I would do if we were assigned to Dayton.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:20 PM

23,965 posts, read 15,059,733 times
Have you been to HAR.com? It is a good resource for homes and school data.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:06 PM

yep! However, not really knowing the areas put me at a disadvantage.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:15 AM

we are currently assigned to the outer skirts of huntsville. I'm having a difficult time finding housing that is not more than an hour from the job. Any ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston