Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 08:57 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,706,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
The OP should do about 5 minutes of Google homework like Mikey did before he puts another poorly thought thread up.
Poorly thought out threads filled with pot stirring half truths and "innocent" innuendos are fun for the dawg. Sic em Oildog.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:00 AM

235 posts, read 803,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I knew this was going to happen (jumping down my throat). Those two stores that I listed weren't the only ones. They were the ones that I could remember. Being that Atlanta is smaller than Houston, it seems to have more retail stores than Houston and seems to have the same quantity of Dallas. I thought it was quite odd.
But as the post above showed, you didn't remember that correctly. So was it something you read in an article or something you just 'felt'.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:09 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyAusmus View Post
According to respective websites using their store locators and Google's map with city limits here is how each place stands up:

HOU=8, DAL=2, Old Navy
HOU=8, DAL=7, Gap
HOU=6, DAL=3, Banana Republic
HOU=3, DAL=2, Abercrombie & Fitch
HOU=3, DAL=2, Hollister
HOU=2, DAL=3, Nordstrom
HOU=3, DAL=4, Neiman Marcus
HOU=8, DAL=3, Macy's
HOU=2, DAL=2, Sak's 5th Avenue
HOU=0, DAL=1, Barney's New York

So, Houston seems to do just fine with mainstream retailers but just a little behind on high end retailers. I think this can be explained by consumer spending habits. Typically Houstonians are more frugal than Dallasites which is explained through Forbes wealthiest cities which ranks Houston higher than Dallas in total wealth. If Houston is wealthier than Dallas, but high end retailers are skeptical of entering Houston it would mean Houstonians spend money a little wiser than Dallasites (not a cheap shot at Dallas, but I like how the data adds up though! ).
The metros

Old 06-26-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonkers View Post
But as the post above showed, you didn't remember that correctly. So was it something you read in an article or something you just 'felt'.
In the metros!

Old 06-26-2012, 10:13 AM

875 posts, read 1,661,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I knew this was going to happen (jumping down my throat). Those two stores that I listed weren't the only ones. They were the ones that I could remember. Being that Atlanta is smaller than Houston, it seems to have more retail stores than Houston and seems to have the same quantity of Dallas. I thought it was quite odd.
It really does not matter we have the Galleria. Which is cooler than any mall that Dallas or Atlanta have IMO. The only store that we are missing is a Barneys..which i could care less for because I don't shop there anyway. Dallas and Atlanta are known pretty well due to media. So its a given for them to have plenty of luxury stores that are not going to make much money. Like mentioned..over build.

Houston shopping is very much doable we have malls in every major suburb and plenty of shopping centers and malls in the city. If you want luxury you go to the Galleria if you want to a generic mall you go to Baybrook, The Woodlands, or Katy..even if you want out door shopping you can go to the Houston Premium Outlets and when the new shopping center in Texas City opens you can go there. But what would be cool is if there was luxury retail in DT..that would be great. I know there are plans for it but I just hope it happens.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:19 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,173,790 times
It's hard to be objective when you don't live in Houston.

Ronnie

Old 06-26-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
It's hard to be objective when you don't live in Houston.

Ronnie
That's neither here nor there. The Internet tells it all.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:29 AM

Well, yall did get two Michael Kors at the same time this year.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:27 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
To the layman, I dont think the difference is significant.

Dallas and Atlanta are more fashion centric than Houston is. Therefore they often get more designer names. But most of it is overpriced so I dont ever shop there.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:45 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyAusmus View Post
According to respective websites using their store locators and Google's map with city limits here is how each place stands up:

HOU=8, DAL=2, Old Navy
HOU=8, DAL=7, Gap
HOU=6, DAL=3, Banana Republic
HOU=3, DAL=2, Abercrombie & Fitch
HOU=3, DAL=2, Hollister
HOU=2, DAL=3, Nordstrom
HOU=3, DAL=4, Neiman Marcus
HOU=8, DAL=3, Macy's
HOU=2, DAL=2, Sak's 5th Avenue
HOU=0, DAL=1, Barney's New York

So, Houston seems to do just fine with mainstream retailers but just a little behind on high end retailers. I think this can be explained by consumer spending habits. Typically Houstonians are more frugal than Dallasites which is explained through Forbes wealthiest cities which ranks Houston higher than Dallas in total wealth. If Houston is wealthier than Dallas, but high end retailers are skeptical of entering Houston it would mean Houstonians spend money a little wiser than Dallasites (not a cheap shot at Dallas, but I like how the data adds up though! ).
From what I see, Houstonians spend their money on big stuff. Frugal on little stuff. By that I mean, if I were rich, I'd have a big, house in Memorial and a maybe luxury car but still shop at regular places and buy regular purses. I don't need Neimans and the like stores and IMO most ugly $$$-$$$$ purses with those expensive shoes.

While Dallas is maybe more '"showy" in terms of wealth.

Rich Houstonians will be in $$ jeans, $$ regular shirt, $$ purse and $$ shoes running errands rather than a $$$ pair of jeans, $$$ shirt, $$$$ purse and $$$-$$$$ shoes.

Maybe Houstonians are just fine with being rich and don't need to dress in high end/fashion forward clothes casually all the time running errands and stuff.

That's my interpretation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston