Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 02:00 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonamd View Post
What does a ruling in Florida have to do with Texas?

Flashing lights is one thing...but standing in the street with a sign? I guess it would be okay to warn people that are robbing a store to hurry up becase the police are coming too?
Because speeding and armed robbery are the same thing? If the goal is public safety and the sign makes people slow down then they should applaud that. If however the goal is revenue for the city then they would want to stop anything that interferes with that. Let me ask you this, if you held up a sign saying - "don't rob anybody today there are police around" should be arrested for interfering with police business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 02:08 PM

682 posts, read 1,941,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Because speeding and armed robbery are the same thing? If the goal is public safety and the sign makes people slow down then they should applaud that. If however the goal is revenue for the city then they would want to stop anything that interferes with that. Let me ask you this, if you held up a sign saying - "don't rob anybody today there are police around" should be arrested for interfering with police business?
Never said anything about armed robbery. Both stealing something from a store and speeding are breaking the law. Everytime something comes up like this someone has to say something about it being revenue for the city. So what? If you don't break the law, you don't have to pay and don't contribute to the city making money. Just like with the red light cameras that everyone just said was another tax. It wasn't a tax on me...I don't run red lights.

Simple solution if you don't want the city making money off tickets...don't do things that allow them to write one!

Old 06-27-2012, 03:03 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
What part of "It is illegal to interfere with police business" is so hard to understand?

This is not a free speech issue.
Show me in the story where its says that she was arrested for interfering with police business. Again for the people who lack reading comprehension skills she was NOT arrested for warning people about the speed trap(there is no law that says so) she was arrested for "walking in the roadway where there is a sidewak present" as a intimidation tatic.

Police Arrest Jogger After He Warns Drivers of Speed Trap - YouTube

This guy was doing the same thing and got arrested for "jay walking"

Old 06-27-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonamd View Post
What does a ruling in Florida have to do with Texas?

Flashing lights is one thing...but standing in the street with a sign? I guess it would be okay to warn people that are robbing a store to hurry up becase the police are coming too?
Because the First amendment doesn't just apply in Florida and the judge ruled it a first amendment right.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:31 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Because the First amendment doesn't just apply in Florida and the judge ruled it a first amendment right.
Actually, every municipality has their own laws and applications pertaining to "interfering with official police business" and headlight flashing. So technically you're wrong.

IMO, the law is made to be followed, not accommodated.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 06-27-2012 at 07:40 PM..

Old 06-27-2012, 06:52 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,444,931 times
Quote:
Hey mayor parker I know you're too busy pushing your gay agenda to care
I'm so thankful that polls show that homophobia is largely a generational issue... at some point in the future (outside of a few loons) it'll simply die out.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:09 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
‘Speed trap’ sign lands Houston pedestrian in jail | Newswatch | a Chron.com blog

When did HPD become the Gestapo? I guess we no longer have the freedom of speech in this city. Hey mayor parker I know you're too busy pushing your gay agenda to care, but why don't you try cleaning up your crooked police force. I hope this lady sues the city of houston.
If Rick Perry didn't go around for 6 months wasting our tax dollars trying to become president and holding pray-a-thon to get votes, maybe he would have some time to address this kind of problems

Old 06-27-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
I'm so thankful that polls show that homophobia is largely a generational issue... at some point in the future (outside of a few loons) it'll simply die out.
Well I'm in my early 30's so people like me have a long time before we "die out".

Old 06-27-2012, 09:29 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,444,931 times
Quote:
Well I'm in my early 30's so people like me have a long time before we "die out".
Did you miss the part where I said "outside of a few loons"?

Old 06-27-2012, 09:33 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,493,463 times
Everyone should be thankful I'm not a judge bc i have so little tolerance for stupidity. I heard her side of the story this morning, and yeah, it seemed like the cops may have been out of line. However, my instinct says to throw her in jail for being stooopiiid. She had nothing better or brighter to do than go make a sign and stand there to warn motorists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston