Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 07:16 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,174,639 times

Advertisements

Samsung. Enough said.

Ronnie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 07:22 PM

127 posts, read 400,575 times
Never had an LCD or TV failed on me yet including Sony's and Samsung's TVs. *knock on wood* What is wrong with your LCD?

Anyhow, I will never buy an extended warranty for a TV. The warranties just cost too much to make sense as they are usually sold for 3 or 5 years which totally doesn't make sense to me. As someone said they are pretty decently priced now days and I rather take my chance.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:09 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,523,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
A TV set is at the point where it is a disposable item. A new 40 inch tv is around 400 dollars.
Precisely, TVs are disposable appliances now. The cost to repair them is usually more than just buying a new one that's better and bigger.

I still have a rear-projection HDTV from around 2003 that will probably last forever because you can replace the parts that go bad. Everything is modular in it - the circuit boards, power supply, CRT guns, etc.. can each be replaced individually. I also have a plasma HDTV from 2009. When it malfunctions or dies, the whole thing is going in the trash. (or most likely a recycling facility)

Old 06-29-2012, 09:17 AM

46 posts, read 133,702 times
Default Re: Sony LCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by milrtime83 View Post
Any data to back that up or just pulling numbers out of thin air? While some tv's may die within that time frame I highly doubt it is average.
I tried to first debug my LCD issues on different tech forums like cnet avs etc and other users on those forums were quite frank if informing such stats... so this is coming from other users comments and experiences, I don't think we will ever find any such official data as the TV companies will fight any such publication and they will never release any such study themselves. Take my case I called Sony to inform that my LCD failed after 3 yrs .. they don't care and don't record it anywhere neither do they bother to find which component failed so that they can improve the pdt

Old 06-29-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMTA View Post
Never had an LCD or TV failed on me yet including Sony's and Samsung's TVs. *knock on wood* What is wrong with your LCD?

Anyhow, I will never buy an extended warranty for a TV. The warranties just cost too much to make sense as they are usually sold for 3 or 5 years which totally doesn't make sense to me. As someone said they are pretty decently priced now days and I rather take my chance.
It's quite interesting to know know how the TV failed, the TV was working just fine in front of my eyes our 2 yrs old pressed few buttons on Sony TV remote and that's how the TV ended up in stand-by mode and can't get out of it now - so this looks like a simple issue but have spent over 40 hrs since our TV is out for few weeks trying even find a root-caue no luck and NO help from Sony

When the TV goes in stand-by mode it will not take any other order that how they coded/firmware - so it's interesting there is no way to re-set/re-initialize Sony TV, can't imagine Sony never planned for any such incident and now they won't help customer's with such defects

even I tried best to get into the diagnostic-menu and with such poor design the TV is not even entering in daig-mode as it refuses any remote-input

We also have a Sony 12 yrs old Triniton Wega TV still in our bedroom working reliably so when we bought this new Sony TV may be our expectations were high BUT 3 yrs is very disappointing life for such money we paid, LCD prices have dropped quite now BUT still getting a good top-of-line TV can run in thousands and when that fails it pinches

Old 06-29-2012, 10:05 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,704 times
Roger04 - You might be watching too much TV. Just a thought.

It's great getting beyond TVs, and having more time for outdoor activities, hobbies, reading, etc. Sitting in couch-potato mode, staring at an electronic box is kind of lame when you think about it.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
Roger04 - You might be watching too much TV. Just a thought.

It's great getting beyond TVs, and having more time for outdoor activities, hobbies, reading, etc. Sitting in couch-potato mode, staring at an electronic box is kind of lame when you think about it.
certainly good thought but with Kids u hardy get time to watch so it's only for selective cartoons or some news - our main TV is out for 3 weeks now and we r slowly getting used w/o but point is people need to know that Sony is as good as any other TV or may be worse and folks shouldn't be paying too for for their pdts

Old 06-29-2012, 11:33 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
In 2008 I bought two Samsung TV's: a 48" and a 52".

I used the 48" more often. Several of its capacitors went out in less than a year and were repaired under warranty. I had read about the Samsung capacitor failures (due to Samsung's using cheap Chinese equipment) and asked the repairman to replace all the capacitors but he said he couldnt do that. Within two months after the warranty expired, additional capacitors went out. When I learned how much it would cost to replace them, I elected to replace the TV instead. I bought a Sony and have had no problems with it.

The 52" TV is seldom used, but I also had to have some capacitors replaced under warranty.

And, a few years ago, I bought a Samsung computer monitor. It lasted only one month after the warranty expired. I didnt have it checked -- by then I was sick of Samsung -- but the failure looked like capacitors as well.

I'll never own another Samsung product.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:05 PM

127 posts, read 400,575 times
Wow after hearing all of these TV's failure issue...that kind of bites because if Samsung and Sony aren't reliable then what are we buying? They are suppose to be the leading TV brand beside Panasonic and maybe LG. Apparently maybe these flat screen aren't as ready as they are advertising to be and plus with the race of them getting thinner and smaller frames probable don't help either, trying to squeeze all the parts in a tiny space. Also, Who knows what happens during packaging and delivery stages these TV goes through and with them being so thin might be a factor. I'm just speculating.

Maybe there needs to be a quality control reg. needed here, but we all know that's not going to be happening.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:11 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I have never had an issue with any Sony product ever. Since I have purchased Sony nearly exclusively (made the mistake of going wayward a couple of times), this is a lot of products.

I think that everything is hit or miss and there will always be a bad product in the batch, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: