U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 08:20 PM
cla cla started this thread

898 posts, read 3,181,527 times

Advertisements

The first time I ever had an HEB Honey Jalapeno Chicken I fell in love. It became a weekly staple on my grocery list (even if it meant going to HEB several times to find one) and several friends succumbed to its goodness after my frequent claims that it was the best rotisserie chicken I have ever purchased at a grocery store.

Sometimes the Honey Jalapeno Chicken (or HJ as we affectionately called it) was a little dry, "I got a dry HJ at HEB yesterday". Sometimes just okay. But sometimes it was extra spicy and juicy, "I had the best HJ last night!"

The last time I had an HJ was sometime in late April or early May. I waited, and waited, reluctant to find out that there would be no more. Eventually, I broke down and tried the Lemon-Pepper - meh; Italian Herb - just okay.

Last week an HEB employee confirmed my fears that the best-in-its-class rotisserie chicken flavor has been discontinued. My heart is broken; I will go on, but without rotisserie chicken in my life. I can't even look at the other rotisserie chickens - they mock me as I pass.

So farewell, my beloved HJ. May this memorial to you live on in perpetuity (or until it's removed from the archives).

Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 08:58 PM

9,053 posts, read 16,315,341 times
It seems like Walmart has them - and Sam's Club. Call them to see. I have one of those chicken rotisserie machines - I wonder if you just mix up a honey/jalapeno/olive oil baste and periodically apply, if it would be as good - or maybe they inject it.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:44 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,325,464 times
LOl, you should write ads for these stores. I've never had one but your ode brought tears to my eyes at the demise of the HJ.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:44 PM

350 posts, read 827,035 times
I love a good HJ.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:57 AM

52,339 posts, read 74,039,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
I have one of those chicken rotisserie machines - I wonder if you just mix up a honey/jalapeno/olive oil baste and periodically apply, if it would be as good - or maybe they inject it.
I find all HEB rotisserie chicken just "meh"... ( I have to admit - I never had the HJ chicken, but tried the others).
The HEB chicken is injected with broth so the meat just taste cooked not roasted. If you do it at home in one of the rotisserie machines, then you will see and taste the difference in meat texture. The meat will be still moist and juicy, but not salty/watery. And of course you can experiment with different seasonings.
Try it, and you will fall in love with your rotisserie machine in no time!

Old 07-03-2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I find all HEB rotisserie chicken just "meh"... ( I have to admit - I never had the HJ chicken, but tried the others).
The HEB chicken is injected with broth so the meat just taste cooked not roasted. If you do it at home in one of the rotisserie machines, then you will see and taste the difference in meat texture. The meat will be still moist and juicy, but not salty/watery. And of course you can experiment with different seasonings.
Try it, and you will fall in love with your rotisserie machine in no time!
The HJ was never salty/watery - somtimes a bit overcooked and dry. I did hear that HEB used a Tony Chachere's injector - and they happen to have a Butter Jalapeno flavor. I did purchase a bottle and thought I'd try it on a baked chicken (adding some honey on the meat under the skin).

I have considered a rotisserie machine - but storing yet another kitchen gadget? Hmm, I am planning on sending some of my little used appliances up to Austin when my daughter goes back to school in the fall....

Old 07-03-2012, 06:33 AM

833 posts, read 1,757,225 times
Time to figure out the recipe and start making it yourself.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:37 AM

5,799 posts, read 3,399,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
I love a good HJ.
LOL I see what you did there!

Old 07-03-2012, 09:05 AM

488 posts, read 1,321,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
LOL I see what you did there!
I am a little sad that I never tried a Honey Jalapeno chicken. Since discovering 'Beer Can Chicken' on the grill hubby doesn't want it any other way - this is the recipe I use Beer Can Chicken with Cola Barbecue Sauce Recipe : : Recipes : Food Network

Old 07-03-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
I love a good HJ.
"Even a dry HJ is better than no HJ at all". I am surprised that all of our HJ talk at the office didn't get us in trouble. Good thing there wasn't a "Barbecue Jalapeno" flavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston