Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 03:11 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,770,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
There's got to be something more affordable than LA and not as cheap as Houston--somewhere that would give the OP more of what they want.
There are probably tons. But can you get a job there. For example, I grew up in St. Louis which is probably on par with Houston in terms of cost of living. I love the four seasons there. I love the hills. Great sports town as well. However the economy sucks.

Nashville seems like a nice place. But has a very specific economy. Other affordable areas include Charlotte, Kansas City, Atlanta, Dallas, Tampa, etc. I think of all of these places, TX probably has the most "diverse" economy and the most potential for continued growth. But there are plenty of good places to live. There is a strong trend of people moving to large college towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 03:11 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,311,158 times
Simple answer: No This area is Hundred times better than a bunch of places.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:42 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,562,340 times
Houston is an evolving city. My brother has lived here for 25 years and I'll tell you what, you wouldn't believe how boring and empty this city was back then compared to L.A., Chicago etc. I know, I know, the bust but still.

I don't blame you for wanting to move back to California. I am in education and know of several friends, colleagues, families etc. that have moved back, whether it be due to the weather or what they perceive to be, well, let's just say odd leadership from Austin that tends to be the exact opposite of progressive.

[edit] I just went to another website that had an ad saying, "Fire Eric Holder!" in a pop-up paid for by the Dewhurst campaign. This is the kind of crap that drives us outsiders crazy. Dewhurst, how about you shut the **** up and try dealing with the problems here in Texas?

Off my soapbox.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:35 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,449,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Houston is an evolving city. My brother has lived here for 25 years and I'll tell you what, you wouldn't believe how boring and empty this city was back then compared to L.A., Chicago etc. I know, I know, the bust but still.

I don't blame you for wanting to move back to California. I am in education and know of several friends, colleagues, families etc. that have moved back, whether it be due to the weather or what they perceive to be, well, let's just say odd leadership from Austin that tends to be the exact opposite of progressive.

[edit] I just went to another website that had an ad saying, "Fire Eric Holder!" in a pop-up paid for by the Dewhurst campaign. This is the kind of crap that drives us outsiders crazy. Dewhurst, how about you shut the **** up and try dealing with the problems here in Texas?

Off my soapbox.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:07 PM

103 posts, read 181,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
And to the people who say this is a cheap alternative to the great life, you're wrong. Some people like it in Houston and that's fine, too. For some, this is the great life.
I completely agree with that.

OP, if you don't like it here, you really should move. If moving back to CA is not really an option try moving to a different area of Houston. When I moved here 10 years ago, I first lived near the Galleria. I picked that area because it was very close to my job. When I got more comfortable with the city and knew my way around I moved to Montrose (party time). Now that I'm getting older and not so much into partying I live just inside Beltway 8.

Each part of the city had something different to offer and each section felt very different to me. If moving to CA is truly not an option, you might want to consider just moving to a different neighborhood.

But long term, if you really don't like it here, you owe it to yourself to live in a place you enjoy.

I've traveled a lot and I actually think Houston is a great city. Mostly because it's so underrated that any newcomer can find a place in its social ranks. The people make this city great. You can go to any Pappasito's or Fajita Flats during Happy Hour and come out with some new friends. I love that about this city.

I do miss home, but mostly because it has lots more trees and my parents are there. When I do go visit the folks I miss "home" - Houston.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:45 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtomt2day View Post
I completely agree with that.

OP, if you don't like it here, you really should move. If moving back to CA is not really an option try moving to a different area of Houston. When I moved here 10 years ago, I first lived near the Galleria. I picked that area because it was very close to my job. When I got more comfortable with the city and knew my way around I moved to Montrose (party time). Now that I'm getting older and not so much into partying I live just inside Beltway 8.

Each part of the city had something different to offer and each section felt very different to me. If moving to CA is truly not an option, you might want to consider just moving to a different neighborhood.

But long term, if you really don't like it here, you owe it to yourself to live in a place you enjoy.

I've traveled a lot and I actually think Houston is a great city. Mostly because it's so underrated that any newcomer can find a place in its social ranks. The people make this city great. You can go to any Pappasito's or Fajita Flats during Happy Hour and come out with some new friends. I love that about this city.

I do miss home, but mostly because it has lots more trees and my parents are there. When I do go visit the folks I miss "home" - Houston.
Exactly. I go visit home and im there for a good 2-3 days. If im there close to a week im ready to headback to Houston. I almost feel like the op is a troll. Why would you ask a question like this when you already have your mind made up? Believe it or not I didn't hear too many complaints about Houston(beside the traffic) till I got on here. And everyday I meet people from different cities just like me who love Houston. Houston doesn't have the hollywood hype machine backing it up. But thats one thing I love it about alot of people don't know what to expect and are suprised by the city if they know where there going. Im black and Houston is one of the best cities for me period. I wouldn't have it any other way. If I had the money I wouldn't mind living in D.C./PG County or the Bay Area. But I would still have to have some residence in Houston because I choose to live here for a longgggg time and also raise a family here.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:55 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,404,388 times
Some people are happy where they are and others are not. This rarely changes.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:29 PM

38 posts, read 122,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam989863 View Post
My wife and I are moving back to Columbus, Ohio this weekend. We have lived in Houston for four years and it has been good. I really feel like we came of age in Houston and it is the city of my daughter's birth. We made good money and bought a big house in the suburbs, we had everything we used to talk about early on in our marriage. But with age comes perspective and for my wife and I came to the realization that quantity did not equal quality. Our time was passing too quickly, go to work early come home late, wake up and repeat. This past fall with the birth of our daughter it became clear we wanted to go back. There is just too much we miss about Columbus and we want to raise our daughter in Ohio. We have learned that no amount of money can re-create the leaves turning orange on the trees, the taste of freshly pressed apple cider, going to the pumpkin patch to pick out a big one, and most importantly money can not make up for time with family. We are downsizing our lives and while we will make less money (not because of lower salaries, but because I am going to stay at home for a while and raise our child), we will also be more satisfied with life.

My tip for you is to go back to California. I coach high school football and I tell the freshman every year that they have 4 years of their lives when they can play high school football and they have 60 years of there lives when they can regret not playing high school football. There is no rewind button on life. If you don't go back home, 10 years from now you may go back to California and be extremely happy and the ten years in between will be gone forever leaving you with nothing but regret for not moving sooner.
Thank you for your responses

Congratulations on your decision!! You have hit the nail on the head!! Houston has also been great to us, we have grown a lot, our marriage got a lot stronger due to all the time spent indoors..lol we have financial stability. Jobs are transferable.

I live in a 2400 sqf home, at times it feels like a big empty box that I have to keep cooling. I would be much happier in something smaller.

I grew up 15 minutes away from the beach, I miss the night strolls on the pier, I miss the lake/beach fishing, the mountains, the parks, and most of all friends and family.

There comes a point in life when less is more, Im aware of what I would be leaving behind, but I know what I will be gaining even if not in a materialistic type of way.

I think its been long enough, I know one thing if we do end up going to cali, I will forever be greatful for what this city gave us and how welcoming houstonians have been.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:44 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,099,478 times
I moved to Houston about 6 moths ago and have really adjusted being here. I sometimes miss places I traveled or lived but feel very happy being here.

I'm a south Texan but traveled on a marketing tour for 2 years traveling about 20 states. I just moved back from la and I feel I'm an outdoors active person so I do miss that in some ways. But with high cost there and their taxes and laws, I feel happy and more free in Houston.

And idk about this weather y'all talk about. I must be used to it already but to me it's fine during the day and at night I really enjoy the cool breezes.

I also live near the galleria and inner Houston and would probably never live out in the burbs do to the OP maybe that's why you have this issue. While out in LA I don't have any family whatsoever so I know that's a factor too. Good luck

Old 07-03-2012, 11:38 PM

31 posts, read 52,567 times
I think the key to it all is having friends or family around. If i'm putting myself in your shoes, i would feel lonely or disconnected from everything if there is no social circle (not saying this is the case for you). Its kind of like the saying "you can have all the money in the world but it means nothing if you have no one to share it with. You can live in London or New York but if your disconnected there is no fun in that. Friends and family are everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston