Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 11:30 AM

112 posts, read 199,396 times

Advertisements

I've been lurking for a while (thanks for all the good info), and now have my own question. My husband and I are moving to Houston-Cypress area for now-this summer for his job. Well, he is actually already there and I am joining him in August after wrapping up some work here in San Jose, CA. Looking for things to do to experience and enjoy our new hometown.
A little more info about us, to perhaps guide the suggestions. We are in our 40's and our tastes go towards scuba diving, wine tasting, jazz, spicy food (not party types). My husband's two sons, ages 10 & 12, will be visiting us at times, so looking for family ideas too, but mostly it will just be the two of us.
So, what are your suggestions and/or favorite things to do in and around Houston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 07:26 PM

293 posts, read 907,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena2c View Post
I've been lurking for a while (thanks for all the good info), and now have my own question. My husband and I are moving to Houston-Cypress area for now-this summer for his job. Well, he is actually already there and I am joining him in August after wrapping up some work here in San Jose, CA. Looking for things to do to experience and enjoy our new hometown.
A little more info about us, to perhaps guide the suggestions. We are in our 40's and our tastes go towards scuba diving, wine tasting, jazz, spicy food (not party types). My husband's two sons, ages 10 & 12, will be visiting us at times, so looking for family ideas too, but mostly it will just be the two of us.
So, what are your suggestions and/or favorite things to do in and around Houston?
You can definately find wine tasting, live jazz, and lots of spicy food. There is a large Chinatown in southwest Houston that you would probably like.

If you like scuba, you might enjoy this:
Welcome to Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary

Old 07-04-2012, 09:02 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,154,594 times
Nap. I'm a professional napper.

Ronnie

Old 07-04-2012, 10:25 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,958,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garxhap View Post
You can definately find wine tasting, live jazz, and lots of spicy food. There is a large Chinatown in southwest Houston that you would probably like.

If you like scuba, you might enjoy this:
Welcome to Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary
Not being a jerk this time, but what is there to do in Chinatown?

Old 07-04-2012, 10:28 PM

61,430 posts, read 86,526,431 times
Going out to eat!! Too many great places... too little stomach...

Old 07-04-2012, 10:59 PM

11 posts, read 17,560 times
The Miller Outdoor Theater ususally has some neat stuff going on. It's free so that's a plus. It's also right next to the zoo, although I'd have to say that the Houston zoo isn't my favorite. I personally like to visit museums, so if you or your husbands kids are interested, Thursday's are free days (for most of them, if not all but I'm not 100% on that). Some are only free after a certain time. I know none of these suggestions go along with what you mentioned you are into, but they are just a couple of things I've enjoyed doing in Houston.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:18 AM

8,893 posts, read 19,943,484 times
The South Shore Wine Festival is in the fall and that is always fun for wine lovers. It seems to get a bit nicer each year.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:22 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,792,664 times
For spicy food I definitely recommend Himalaya Restaurant at 59 and Hillcroft. Not much to look at but in my opinion has the best Indian and Pakistani food in town.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:46 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,487,076 times
+1 for Miller outdoor theatre. Also alot of good stuff going on in the theatre district in downtown, musicals, ballets, concerts. Woodlands Mitchell Pavillion also has some good concerts throughout the year.
there are a few great festivals in Houston, I think there's one celebrating latino/carribean nations in the summer, can't remember the month or name, but it's good music. The food festival here is not great imo.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:45 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,535,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Not being a jerk this time, but what is there to do in Chinatown?
Eat Vietnamese food, go to a head shop, get a massagie, look at a bunch of crap in a crappy jewelery store, sit there and wonder aloud why nobody complains about their lack of assimilation and how they have their signs in another language, etc.

That's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston