Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 10:36 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times

Advertisements

Lots of millionaires live in Houston. They're just very hidden. They're not flashy like the rich are plastering their faces all over town like in NYC. They're so hidden most ppl assume the upper middle class is rich. Not joking, the flaunters in this city are not the people living in those hidden neighborhoods of river oaks but more like the West U crowd, idk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 01:29 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
We have thousands of millionaires and our fair share of billionaires as well.

Honestly, if I were extremely wealthy, as in say $100 million; you wouldn't find me living in Houston, but with $5 million, I'd still be here.

Pick up my waterfront home and set it on an equal size water front lot in any of the "desirable" cities that so many here admire, and there would be no possible way that I could afford it.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:31 PM

1,011 posts, read 976,883 times
Jack, u crack me up. LOL

Old 12-05-2013, 01:33 PM

Well of course if you're a high end millionaire in the 100s of millions the best places to be are NYC, LA and even Miami. That's a given but I agree with Pedro, if I had a cool 2 million to 5, I would plant myself smack dab in the middle of Houston and live out like a king.

I remember when Slim Thug was trying to convince Dwight Howard to come to Houston he said that if he were to buy a house in LA it would be nice but smaller than the Wal Mart size home he could afford in Texas. LOL.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBANK View Post
Nope he is right and you are wrong. Houston sucks and you know it.
He never said Houston sucks. He actually gave Houston a rating of 6 out of 10. A "sucks" score would be a 3 and below.

I have met my fair share of people in Houston who believe this city sucks. The thing that I discover is that they are miserable people who are unhappy wherever they find themselves. It's kind of like people who are always bored. They're bored because they are themselves boring. Think about really boring people you've known in your life. Nobody who is fun wants to hang out with them, because they bring everyone down and are a drag to be around. And as they lose friends, or never gain any, they become even more bored and boring.

If you believe that Houston sucks, it's probably because you have no interesting friends and you don't know how to have a good time.

Last Saturday night, we had a group of 12 people who went out and ate sushi followed by karaoke roulette at a little bar. (Karaoke roulette is where they sign you up for a song and you don't know what it is until you are up there and the song starts. BTW, the only good karaoke is bad karaoke, IMHO). We were laughing and joking and talking to other people at the bar just having a blast. Did it matter that we didn't have mountains in the background? No. Did it matter that a couple of months ago it was hot and humid as hell? No. Did it matter that there were no white sand beaches? No. None of those things would have increased the fun we were having. We're not boring or miserable.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
if I had a cool 2 million to 5, I would plant myself smack dab in the middle of Houston and live out like a king.
I just consulted Google Maps. If by the smack dab in the middle, you mean the center of the city (with 610 being the outside ring), that would put you at the corner of Walker and Bagby in City Hall. I don't know if you can buy a residence in City Hall.

But if you could, you'd have great access to the library and our theater district.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:52 PM

Houston is NOT boring. I don't know where people get this idea. Its social and nightlife are amazing. The club and bar scene has to be one of the best experiences in a major city mostly due to the unpretentious nature of the scene. I've has more fun in Houston than Ive ever have in LA. The latter is very cliquish and pretentious while the former is neither. You could walk into a bar with a single friend and come out with four more.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:03 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
We have thousands of millionaires and our fair share of billionaires as well.

Honestly, if I were extremely wealthy, as in say $100 million; you wouldn't find me living in Houston, but with $5 million, I'd still be here.

Pick up my waterfront home and set it on an equal size water front lot in any of the "desirable" cities that so many here admire, and there would be no possible way that I could afford it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Well of course if you're a high end millionaire in the 100s of millions the best places to be are NYC, LA and even Miami. That's a given but I agree with Pedro, if I had a cool 2 million to 5, I would plant myself smack dab in the middle of Houston and live out like a king.

I remember when Slim Thug was trying to convince Dwight Howard to come to Houston he said that if he were to buy a house in LA it would be nice but smaller than the Wal Mart size home he could afford in Texas. LOL.
If I were a high net worth individual I most definitely would still live in the Houston area. You may not find me here all the time, but my primary residence would still be here. I would look forward to being able to mold this city, area (more to my liking) into a better place, and a high net worth would allow me to do just that.

If Omaha Nebraska can retain the third richest man in the world why would you think that Houston couldn't do the same ? Some people's loyalties and affections run deeper than GQ lifestyles and caviar dreams.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:39 PM

705 posts, read 1,260,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
If I were a high net worth individual I most definitely would still live in the Houston area. You may not find me here all the time, but my primary residence would still be here. I would look forward to being able to mold this city, area (more to my liking) into a better place, and a high net worth would allow me to do just that.

If Omaha Nebraska can retain the third richest man in the world why would you think that Houston couldn't do the same ? Some people's loyalties and affections run deeper than GQ lifestyles and caviar dreams.
Perfectly said. Houston is home and no matter how much money I have, it will continue to be home. I would definitely travel a lot more but always come back. There's also so many charities and organizations in Houston that I'm involved in and love, so to be able to give more back to them, would be ideal. Just like the recurring theme around here, $100 mil in Houston will make more of a difference than $100 mil in NYC!

Old 12-05-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
As I said in an earlier post, Houston is home to thousands of millionaires and a number of billionaires.

The reason I wouldn't stick around is a very selfish one. I am a water person. My weekly high point is wakesurfing, and I love scuba diving. With a fortune under my belt, I could live on white sand beaches with crystal clear water sipping margaritas, beer and pina coladas as the sun sets over a tropical paradise. I'd actually continue to maintain my current Houston home, but I'd only be a part-timer there. I admit, I'd be selfish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston