Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 07:19 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,282,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
There are "third world" cities that are way ahead of Houston in terms of public transportation, beauty, and gasp equality.
What the h... does 3rd World have to do with public transportation and beauty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 09:20 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,076 times
Hillcroft avenue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
And many on here are just as welled traved or more so whats your point , but name a part of Houston that is anything like a third world nation?

Old 07-13-2012, 09:26 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Hillcroft avenue

why because of all the indian folks, that being the case third ward resembles africa

Old 07-13-2012, 09:42 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Let me remind you that Uruguay is a 3rd World nation

Quote:
Uruguay ethnic groups:
white 88%, mestizo 8%, black 4%, Amerindian (practically nonexistent)

Old 07-13-2012, 09:47 AM

613 posts, read 1,002,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
And many on here are just as welled traved or more so whats your point , but name a part of Houston that is anything like a third world nation?
I believe his point is that based on the description that you provided of what a city in a 3rd world nation looks like, it is clear that you have either never been to one or you have only been to a couple. Not all 3rd world cities look like the shanty towns you see on TV with Latin American cities. As it happens, I am not referencing shanty towns at all, but rather the areas of cities that foreigners are more likely to find themselves in. These areas are a blend of the quasi-modern with clear aspects that let you know you are not in Paris.

If you want an example, the first time my friend spoke up and said he felt like he was in Bangkok was heading south on I-59 coming from Hobby airport towards Greenway. There is one particular spot in there that runs from once you clear downtown to about Montrose that stands out the most. Whenever I pick someone up from Hobby who is new to Houston, I always feel the need through that stretch to start explaining how Houston is laid out and that what they are seeing there only represents a very small portion of Houston.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
I believe his point is that based on the description that you provided of what a city in a 3rd world nation looks like, it is clear that you have either never been to one or you have only been to a couple. Not all 3rd world cities look like the shanty towns you see on TV with Latin American cities. As it happens, I am not referencing shanty towns at all, but rather the areas of cities that foreigners are more likely to find themselves in. These areas are a blend of the quasi-modern with clear aspects that let you know you are not in Paris.

If you want an example, the first time my friend spoke up and said he felt like he was in Bangkok was heading south on I-59 coming from Hobby airport towards Greenway. There is one particular spot in there that runs from once you clear downtown to about Montrose that stands out the most. Whenever I pick someone up from Hobby who is new to Houston, I always feel the need through that stretch to start explaining how Houston is laid out and that what they are seeing there only represents a very small portion of Houston.
DUDE i have been to everything from iraq to haiti.. thanks. and then it begins the point what does it being a third world nation have to do with Houston, since again Like I said in any city of any real sized you can find areas that resemeble any part of a another nation, I found it odd he pointed to a third world nation ,instead of saying area X looks like area Y in bankok.. Since I have to 3rd world nations where some areas look like they came out of home and gardern.. The way you presented it made it seem like he was comparing houston to a third world nation

Old 07-13-2012, 10:05 AM

613 posts, read 1,002,148 times
The difference, having lived in a number of other US cities, is you generally have to drive out of your way to find decrepit areas (okay, Detroit doesn't count). With Houston, possibly because of the zoning or lack thereof, you don't have to go hunting for such areas, they are right there in front of you.

Again, if you go back and read my post CAREFULLY instead of scanning and reacting, you'll see the comment was: "this reminds me of Bangkok where along most main travel ways it is pretty ugly and run down, however when you get off into side roads and into the neighborhoods it is quite lovely, as is also the case in Bangkok". You could insert any SE Asian city into that sentence and it would pretty much apply.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:19 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What the h... does 3rd World have to do with public transportation and beauty?
City infrastructure is pretty dang important in my opinion. As far as beauty goes, I was referring to their perception that all third world cities are not run down or big ghettos. I know Venezuela can't compare to Colombia, bit come on Chavez, you have an idea.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
The difference, having lived in a number of other US cities, is you generally have to drive out of your way to find decrepit areas (okay, Detroit doesn't count). With Houston, possibly because of the zoning or lack thereof, you don't have to go hunting for such areas, they are right there in front of you.

Again, if you go back and read my post CAREFULLY instead of scanning and reacting, you'll see the comment was: "this reminds me of Bangkok where along most main travel ways it is pretty ugly and run down, however when you get off into side roads and into the neighborhoods it is quite lovely, as is also the case in Bangkok". You could insert any SE Asian city into that sentence and it would pretty much apply.
again not the only person who has done that, and no you dont , there are areas in chicago with nice areas go a few blocks in a certain direction and your in a less than flashy area, that applies to every oother city I have been in , dallas, austin, new york, chicagro, norfolk, , hell the only expection I have seen maybe nashville

Old 07-26-2013, 09:49 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyAusmus View Post
3.) Lack of scenery and outdoor activities: Not sure if you were living under a rock, but almost every bar I go to in Houston is either half outdoors and in some cases all outdoors. Memorial Park, Buffalo Bayou Park, Hermann Park, bike trails (literally hundreds of miles long through the city), I believe the lush trees throughout the city add alot of the scenery not to mention that Houston has the most green space of any of the top 10 largest cities in the USA... so I think Houston has alot to offer in the outdoor and scenery category.
For real? I guess it goes to show that a Houstonian's idea of a park is a paved path through a lawn.

A golf course you can ride your Huffy through isn't what I consider quality green space. These statistics about "most green space" are misleading. Look at Bear Creek park. How much of it can you actually hike through? There's ONE looped nature trail, and the rest is either paved or inaccessible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston