Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 09:47 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ry1an3 View Post
I think last summer just fried our grass, pine trees, and memory.
You said it. No matter what, people will always attempt to use 2011 as what should be expected from a Houston summer. I can remember far more wet and "mild" summers in Houston than I can remember any seasons that were even close to what we experienced last year.

Although, I'm not exactly sure what is being debated in this thread.

Do people exaggerate how hot Houston usually gets? Yep.
Is Houston still one of the hottest cities in the nation? You betcha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 09:52 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Have yall had some rain lately?

Old 07-10-2012, 10:01 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Have yall had some rain lately?
Plenty.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:06 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
You said it. No matter what, people will always attempt to use 2011 as what should be expected from a Houston summer. I can remember far more wet and "mild" summers in Houston than I can remember any seasons that were even close to what we experienced last year.

Although, I'm not exactly sure what is being debated in this thread.

Do people exaggerates how hot Houston usually gets? Yep.
Is Houston still one of the hottest cities in the nation? You betcha.
I wouldn't call it a debate. I just get annoyed when some outsider who is looking at moving to Houston (I'm one of them) and they ask some questions about housing or traffic or jobs and then without fail some guy (or girl) shows up and completely exaggerates about the weather. Saying oh boy, you are going to hate it here, it's like 115 degrees from Feb 1st to Nov 15th! LOL. I get annoyed when people distort the facts like that. Look, I lived in Central Florida for 3 years. Guess what, it gets hot there. You betcha it does. Humid. Shiiiit dog. It get's really really really hot. But I kind of figured it would get hot there. The giveaway was it was central Florida!!!!!!!!! Nobody moves to Florida for the snow. LOL.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:22 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Plenty.
We've must gotten some your rain these last couple of days.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:42 AM

563 posts, read 910,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Here are the official "stats".

Climate in Houston, Texas

Enough of the excuse making.

MonthLowHigh

Jan41.2°F62.3°F

Feb44.3°F66.5°F

Mar51.3°F73.3°F

Apr57.9°F79.1°F

May66.1°F85.5°F

Jun71.8°F90.7°F

Jul73.5°F93.6°F

Aug73.0°F93.5°F

Sept68.4°F89.3°F

Oct58.8°F82.0°F

Nov49.8°F72.0°F

Dec42.8°F64.6°F
These are the official records if you would like to get technical. I figured you would because you brought up terms from a 10th grade statistics class.

climate_iah_normals_summary

I'm not usually one to complain about the heat until August. Everyone knows last year was an anomaly as well as this July's cool temperatures and rainfall. Every newscaster - including TWC - has stated that the Gulf Coast from the Florida Panhandle to Houston is going to see well above average rainfall in July. You talked about standard deviations and means and than used a tiny sample from an outlier (temps for the next 7 days) to prove your point correct. How much different would it have been if you would have posted a 7-day for this time last year?

People tend to exaggerate that have moved here from the N or NE when it comes to the heat in Houston. To a lot of people it may sometimes feel hot toward the end of April when the heat index starts to approach 90. From the end of April through mid October is the time we can see heat indices of 90 or higher. From May through September is when Houston can see heat indices of 100 or over. Remember, in Houston the temperature only has to be 89-90 (or less) for the heat index to be 100. I can recall countless times this summer already where the temp by Ellington Field has been around 95 and the heat index was 105 (and of course the heat wave where it was 116).

The heat index is what matters when you try to avoid heat exhaustion. We saw it this year when the temp was 114 in one part of Colorado but since it was so dry (dew point) the heat index was only 105 and the NWS didn't even issue a heat advisory.

We have pretty much an identical climate to central and northern Florida with regards to humidity. Houston's temperatures in the hottest months actually average 2-4 degrees hotter. We also have more of the Urban Heat Island Effect which should also be taken into consideration.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:37 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,906 times
I agree with the OP in that people tend to overexaggerate when they say that it's "boiling hot 9 months out of the year". It's just not true. You want hot? Go to Arizona. Even without the humidity the heat is unreal out there. We have some nice weather outside of the summer months. And really when you think about it, our weather is no different than other cities on the East and Gulf coasts.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:44 AM

659 posts, read 1,376,747 times
The basic point that people tend to exaggerate about the heat in Houston (and Texas for that matter) is well taken! So many people have this notion that it's always hot. In fact, aside from summer the weather in Houston is much nicer than many places. At least we don't have to deal with the brutal winters.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:48 AM

644 posts, read 1,353,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
The basic point that people tend to exaggerate about the heat in Houston (and Texas for that matter) is well taken! So many people have this notion that it's always hot. In fact, aside from summer the weather in Houston is much nicer than many places. At least we don't have to deal with the brutal winters.
Yes! If you just do your best to acclimate to the heat, then you will be much more comfortable in Houston during the summer. Just yesterday after I left the YMCA on my bike, I actually felt cold. I know it's been cooler this week, but it made me realize how much I've acclimated to the heat of Houston and now I'm sort of dreading cooler weather.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:41 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
I agree. We get too much "it's so hot it will melt your face from March through November" type comments when in reality 95% of people from colder climates have little problem adjusting. And on top of that, they happily stay. It's that 5% of whiners that stand out, and a lot of them come from a certain place out west. I hear Oregon has a similar problem as Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston