Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 03:46 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,158,249 times

Advertisements

We are number 8, which is nothing to be proud about, but from all the complaining on CD (myself included) I am surprised we are down so low. The real problem is we have so little alternative. Yes, I absolutely hate trying to drive in San Francisco, but the public transportation is good.

The 20 cities with the worst traffic in North America go far beyond Los Angeles | Motoramic - Yahoo! Autos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 04:03 PM

18,074 posts, read 25,173,988 times
Austin not in the top 20?????

Austin traffic congestion still nation's third worst, study says

For the second consecutive year, the Austin area ranked No. 3 nationally in traffic congestion, ahead of Houston and Dallas-Fort Worth, according to a study to be released today by Texas A&M University researchers.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:26 PM

644 posts, read 1,350,238 times
I'm surprised Dallas was further down the list. I took a road trip back to Illinois this summer and driving through Dallas was terrible and took forever.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:37 AM

175 posts, read 366,867 times
We just moved back here from living abroad. I've been driving around the city for about a week looking at different areas (mostly along I-10), and I haven't yet been in a traffic jam or found anything frustrating about traffic. Maybe that's because I'm staying on the west side?

Old 07-14-2012, 09:51 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,032,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Austin not in the top 20?????

Austin traffic congestion still nation's third worst, study says

For the second consecutive year, the Austin area ranked No. 3 nationally in traffic congestion, ahead of Houston and Dallas-Fort Worth, according to a study to be released today by Texas A&M University researchers.
I cannot even begin to explain how bad it's gotten in Austin just within the last few years. I think there just aren't enough routes. The tollroads have helped some, but mainly just on the outskirts of town.

Houston seems to have its act together much better in this regard. Unless you're stuck having to use 290 or Westpark Tollway.... those two seem horrible the last few times I came in on them (and also from what friends tell me).

Old 07-14-2012, 10:47 AM

613 posts, read 999,975 times
Relatively speaking, traffic in Houston really isn't that bad. I find it is generally only a problem if you live in the suburbs and are on the road in rush hour. If you live inside-the-loop as we do, I find traffic to be amongst the best of any large city I have ever lived in. It is rare to find surface streets choked up (which happens all the time in places like Chicago and NYC) and unless you are on the highway during the heart of rush hour, highway travel isn't that bad either.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:48 AM

12,734 posts, read 21,705,220 times
Y'all have risen a quite a bit of spots. I'm surprised y'all are above Dallas and Atlanta and even Washington, DC.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:49 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,638,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
Relatively speaking, traffic in Houston really isn't that bad. I find it is generally only a problem if you live in the suburbs and are on the road in rush hour. If you live inside-the-loop as we do, I find traffic to be amongst the best of any large city I have ever lived in. It is rare to find surface streets choked up (which happens all the time in places like Chicago and NYC) and unless you are on the highway during the heart of rush hour, highway travel isn't that bad either.

Some surface streets around Greenway, Upper Kirby, Highland Village and River Oaks can be an absolute mess during afternoon rush hour, even Highland Village on Fridays after lunch gets extremely congested. But otherwise I agree it's not that bad because there are so many arteries througout. (It's a positive thing if all that concrete doesn't affect your quality of life.) However even during the worst traffic of the day, using surface streets to avoid a freeway is an absolute last resort.

Also commuting on the freeways isn't that bad if you can work 7-4. If you do something like 9/80, even better.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:14 PM

830 posts, read 1,723,050 times
I'm surprised. I think Chicago traffic is WAY worse than Houston. I wonder if it has to do with what they are measuring in this study. I think in Chicago, ppl just realize there will be traffic and thus will avoid driving into the city (take the train, etc). Even despite that the traffics seems worse there than here.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:39 PM

18,074 posts, read 25,173,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I cannot even begin to explain how bad it's gotten in Austin just within the last few years. I think there just aren't enough routes.
Austin is the largest city I've seen in the US without a loop
Even Conroe has a freaking loop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston