Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2012, 03:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,245 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I are looking to move from South Jersey (Philly suburbs) to Houston. We are 30 with no kids and we would be working in Westchase. We are looking to rent a 1 bedroom apartment for around $900-$1000/month. We would like to stay within a 10-15 minute commute to work, we would be willing to stretch to 20 minutes if that made a big difference in options. We are looking for a safe neighborhood, we like to walk/run outside, with restaurants/shopping near by. We would love to have a modern apartment with some high end amenities, garden tub, granite, gym on site. Nothing is a must, just our ideal wish list. We currently live in a small community with a downtown/main street and enjoy being able to walk to restaurants/coffee shops..

Any suggestions on neighborhoods or specific apartment complexes or areas to avoid would be a huge help. We are very excited about moving somewhere new and are not looking for a copy cat of what we have here just an idea of some of the things we enjoy in our current situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 04:24 PM

312 posts, read 795,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenncrew View Post
Hi,

My husband and I are looking to move from South Jersey (Philly suburbs) to Houston. We are 30 with no kids and we would be working in Westchase. We are looking to rent a 1 bedroom apartment for around $900-$1000/month. We would like to stay within a 10-15 minute commute to work, we would be willing to stretch to 20 minutes if that made a big difference in options. We are looking for a safe neighborhood, we like to walk/run outside, with restaurants/shopping near by. We would love to have a modern apartment with some high end amenities, garden tub, granite, gym on site. Nothing is a must, just our ideal wish list. We currently live in a small community with a downtown/main street and enjoy being able to walk to restaurants/coffee shops..

Any suggestions on neighborhoods or specific apartment complexes or areas to avoid would be a huge help. We are very excited about moving somewhere new and are not looking for a copy cat of what we have here just an idea of some of the things we enjoy in our current situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
1. I actually live in Westchase, but the apartment complexes in the immediate area are more geared towards middle-class and blue-collar folks than towards the higher incomes. Not many people jog outside.

2. Cinco Ranch, a popular master-planned area about a 20 minute drive west of Westchase, has a few upscale complexes worth a look. Just north of Cinco Ranch is another master-planned area called Seven Meadows that is worth a look. These areas are more known for their single-family homes, but there are some apartment complexes. The general area is south of I-10 and north of the Westpark Tollway along the Grand Parkway (Texas 99) and has boomed the last few years - there are a few developments even under construction right now as I understand.

3. Also look at the Energy Corridor, south of I-10 along Eldridge Parkway (basically between Cinco Ranch and Westchase), there are a few upscale apartment communities there, and I do see people jog in that neighborhood. The Energy Corridor gets its name from the oil and gas corporations that have major operations in the neighborhood, companies such as BP, ConocoPhillips and Citgo.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:45 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,950,919 times
Look into apartments off of memorial dr. The park at memorial, the Marquis on Memorial, broadstone memorial, and promenade memorial. Promenade Memorial has direct access to Terry Hershey park where everyone jogs. All are 10-15 minutes to westchase without having to get on the freeway. There are even more nice apartments down eldridge parkway. Unfortunately you won't get a town feel (it's just suburbia), but it's a well built up area with lots of restaurant and shopping available within a short drive.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:23 PM

31 posts, read 52,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Look into apartments off of memorial dr. The park at memorial, the Marquis on Memorial, broadstone memorial, and promenade memorial. Promenade Memorial has direct access to Terry Hershey park where everyone jogs. All are 10-15 minutes to westchase without having to get on the freeway. There are even more nice apartments down eldridge parkway. Unfortunately you won't get a town feel (it's just suburbia), but it's a well built up area with lots of restaurant and shopping available within a short drive.
Totally agree with this as far as proximity. I would stay away from Westchase because there is too much of a good/bad mix of apartments. Hershey Park is nice with its trails and scenery. Check out all the apartments on Eldridge between i-10 and Briar Forest ( you can even stretch it to Westheimer). There are many upscale apartments to chose from. Check out Eclipse apartments (new), Lofts at Briar Forest (new), ALMI apartments, San Paloma.... many to chose from.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,245 times
Thanks for all of the suggestions they are greatly appreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: