Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 03:01 AM

13 posts, read 8,489 times

Advertisements

What are some diverse and safe neighborhoods within Houston? Preferably within the or close to the 610? The only diverse ones ive seen seem to be in the suburbs southwest of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 06:31 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,685,095 times
Texas Medical Center, generally due to the student population.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:28 PM

So TMC is the only one? That sucks. I wanna live in a diverse area, but I don't wanna live in the middle of nowhere.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:38 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,721,729 times
If youre talking about large amounts of multiculturalism, the best places are outside of 610 on the southwest side of the city. The Galleria area would be good but again most of the multiculturalism is outside 610.

Lacking that, maybe Midtown or the neighborhoods just to the southeast of downtown?

Old 07-16-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
If youre talking about large amounts of multiculturalism, the best places are outside of 610 on the southwest side of the city. The Galleria area would be good but again most of the multiculturalism is outside 610.

Lacking that, maybe Midtown or the neighborhoods just to the southeast of downtown?
Yeah I mean alot of multiculturalism. Lots of whites, asians, blacks, and latinos all living in the same neighborhood and getting along, mostly cause I like women of all different races and I like all different types of ethnic food.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:53 PM

312 posts, read 797,281 times
Have you checked out Meyerland? Just outside the loop, southwest of TMC area.

The spread-out and rather "new" nature of Houston makes it different from other cities, Houston was a relatively small town until after WWII when it just exploded in population. The city something like tripled or quadrupled in size between the 1950s and the 1980s. The Galleria and Sharpstown areas were the middle of nowhere in the '50s.

Also, when people get a little money they move to a "better" area which is farther out, and the older areas become less "safe"; that process has not stopped for 50 years. Sharpstown and Greenspoint were some of the nicest areas of town when they were first developed. Very few people on this forum would recommend anyone live in either of those neighborhoods now.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmac99 View Post
Have you checked out Meyerland? Just outside the loop, southwest of TMC area.

The spread-out and rather "new" nature of Houston makes it different from other cities, Houston was a relatively small town until after WWII when it just exploded in population. The city something like tripled or quadrupled in size between the 1950s and the 1980s. The Galleria and Sharpstown areas were the middle of nowhere in the '50s.

Also, when people get a little money they move to a "better" area which is farther out, and the older areas become less "safe"; that process has not stopped for 50 years. Sharpstown and Greenspoint were some of the nicest areas of town when they were first developed. Very few people on this forum would recommend anyone live in either of those neighborhoods now.
See the thing is I want multiculturalism and diversity, but I don't want to live in the suburbs, I'm young, I'm part of the party crowd. What does Meyerland have to offer as far as nightlife and restaurants? I know its more suburban in nature, but its far from being in the middle of nowhere. If it's an exciting area you have got me interested.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignorantposter View Post
Yeah I mean alot of multiculturalism. Lots of whites, asians, blacks, and latinos all living in the same neighborhood and getting along, mostly cause I like women of all different races and I like all different types of ethnic food.
Good luck with that because Houston is an unusually ethnically segregated city compared to places in, say, California, Nevada, or Arizona where I'm also familiar.

Westchase, although outside the loop a ways, is relatively well integrated compared to, say the East End.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:13 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,964,319 times
My part of The Heights is pretty diverse. Nothing like SW Houston though.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignorantposter View Post
See the thing is I want multiculturalism and diversity, but I don't want to live in the suburbs, I'm young, I'm part of the party crowd. What does Meyerland have to offer as far as nightlife and restaurants? I know its more suburban in nature, but its far from being in the middle of nowhere. If it's an exciting area you have got me interested.
OK that bit of clarification helps out. Most of the people asking questions about Houston that I see on here are professionals with kids looking for a house in a neighborhood with a good school district. Meyerland has a few apartment complexes but is much quieter in attitude than the Galleria area or Midtown.

I see a lot of young people (by that I mean people who look to be in their 20s) in and around the apartment complexes around the Galleria and in my area of Westchase which is about 6-7 miles outside the 610 loop. I see a lot of people getting off my bus around Richmond and the railroad tracks that most likely attend the Art Institute, and some that go downtown to attend HCC or U of H.

The Galleria area might be about the best Houston can do for you as far as any kind of ethnic diversity, nightlife and dining options that cater to a crowd that's not yet ready to "settle down". Safety can be a concern but Houston is a relatively dangerous city overall. Check out any newer apartment buildings along Westheimer or Richmond Avenue. The newer the building, the safer it probably is, but the more expensive it is. There are a couple of nice-looking complexes near Westheimer and Hillcroft.

Have you also checked out Montrose/Lower Westheimer? Maybe not as ethnically diverse but man do people freakin' party in that area!!! I think a lot of Rice U students hang out there. Speaking of Rice have you checked out the areas near that campus like Rice Village and parts of the Texas Medical Center?

Keep in mind Houston is built and laid out differently from a San Francisco or Los Angeles or even Atlanta. If you must have that exact kind of experience Houston is not the town for you. There is NO zoning so developers put buildings wherever they darn well please, which makes for some wacky and butt-ugly neighborhoods. Houston is designed for people to go to work, make some money, come home and sleep and get up and go back to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston