Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 02:14 PM

81 posts, read 306,497 times

Advertisements

After reading all the great posts about Houston, I'd like to know the state of the library system ~~ here in NE Florida the city is cutting jobs and hours, thereby lowering quality of life and a vital service -- I rent most DVDs there, watch YouTube and use the computers for resume updates, etc. Also which neighborhoods have libraries and are any open on Sundays?

On a different tangent but tied to quality of life ~~ how is the water quality? FL water is awful, full of brown minerals and chemicals. All these details are hard to find from visitors guides and we want to move outta FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 02:39 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Libraries are not open on Sunday - and all are not open on Saturday. They experienced budget cuts, along with the rest of the country.

Water differs in different areas - if you are not in the city water district - you are in a neighborhood utility district (majority) and quality changes district by district. Some have much harder water, and residents may use a water softener. I live in a MUD (Municipal Utilty district) now and the city of Houston district for a long time - I don't ever remember any floaties or bad taste. We get periodical reports from our MUD - chemicals within allowables.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:44 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
I can't believe that any politician in this World would cut funding for libraries.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:45 AM

81 posts, read 306,497 times
Thank you cheryjohns and Dopo ~ I guess water quality in the south near the coast isn't going to be pristine........ I use water filters anyhow, but I just wondered if anything was worse than here in NE Florida. I agree about the library cuts, what kind of society will we have with ignorant people? My love of books and reading began in the library.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:52 AM

833 posts, read 1,886,305 times
I lived in Florida, I would say most places have better water here but as stated some area can have very hard water. It drives my wife crazy and I hear at least once a week how she wanted to get an overpriced water softener.

Water has minerals in it, they may make the water not look as clear but they are not harmful. If you have someone come out to test your water to sell you water purification they will make it look so horrible.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:48 AM

860 posts, read 1,585,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I can't believe that any politician in this World would cut funding for libraries.
Believe it -- because it's been done here in Houston!

The result: Shorter hours for patrons. Reduced professional staff, with librarians spread thinly among several branches. Fewer purchases of new books and media.

Of course, it could be worse. Friends in Oregon tell me their local public library was forced to close in order to support essential services like fire and police.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:35 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensk08 View Post
Believe it -- because it's been done here in Houston!

The result: Shorter hours for patrons. Reduced professional staff, with librarians spread thinly among several branches. Fewer purchases of new books and media.

Of course, it could be worse. Friends in Oregon tell me their local public library was forced to close in order to support essential services like fire and police.
I know! We may think that it's bad to cut hours - but when you think of what other cities are having to do to make ends meet, you realize Houston is in pretty good shape compared. At least our police and firemen are not making minimum wage, like Scranton, PA.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:40 AM

644 posts, read 1,353,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I know right!?!? The less educated ones are easier to control so let's take away their access to books.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:20 AM

105 posts, read 202,948 times
Funding cuts for libraries are done because it's easy to justify it over let's say, cutting police forces or firemen. People in power and capable of forming a wider opinion do not go to libraries anymore. They get all the knowledge they need without even having to step out. At the very least, libraries teach you patience and concentration. But hey, aren't these two virtues nerdy and uncool? Can't help it.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:31 PM

222 posts, read 720,201 times
I think the water quality is ok depending upon what your going to use it for. I'll drink it no problem, but you won't catch me taking a shower with it....only use bottled water for that. Expensive showers, but I sure do feel clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston