Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2007, 06:35 PM

686 posts, read 3,716,457 times

Advertisements

I have a question about a hotel in Houston. It's called the Courtyard Houston - West University. It's located at 2929 Westpark Dr, Houston, TX 77005. It looks like it's in a bad area. Can anyone comment? How far away is it from downtown? What are some things to do in Houston? Thanks,

Daniel_T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 06:51 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,059,808 times
this area in not bad at all. You got a very good seafood place a few minutes away: Goode Go Company. And you are about 10/15 minutes from downtown. by taking 59 North.
Regards,

Old 10-01-2007, 07:01 PM

Default Thanks

Is the area okay to venture out at night. Is there a bus nearby that would take me downtown? thanks,

Daniel_T

Old 10-01-2007, 07:09 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Bus to downtown at night?

Rent a car, bro.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:14 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,059,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
Is the area okay to venture out at night. Is there a bus nearby that would take me downtown? thanks,

Daniel_T
I would not advise you to venture at night...on your feet. But I have seen people walking within this area. check with the hotel if they have a shuttle to downtown.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:26 AM

178 posts, read 509,814 times
if you want to get downtown at night, sans car, you should try and find a hotel along the light rail. My suggestion would be in the museum district. of course, those hotels are likely to be more expensive. your best bet, then, is the place you already have picked out, and just rent a car, which you can do really really cheaply these days.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:37 PM

Default Reply

I was looking on local.live.com at the address and the hotel is next to a freeway and it looks like across the street from a soda company? The way the aerial looks, the neighborhood surrounding is in bad shape. Is there a bus nearby? How far is that light rail transporation that you have from the hotel?

Daniel_T

Old 10-02-2007, 09:58 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Just stay in well-lit areas, look like you're confident and you know what you're doing and where you're going and you'll be all right. That stretch of Westpark isn't pretty - this land has been kind of kept the way it is because it is supposed to be the right of way for a new light rail or commuter line. The aerials you are looking at are perhaps as old as 2003 (Google still shows the Toyota Center in Houston under construction with just the lower level finished and uncovered)

The *ghetto* begins further down Westpark, say, Chimney Rock on west. Between that West U-Rice Village-Greenway Plaza vicinity and downtown I'd probably be more on guard downtown walking around at night. Hope you aren't too uncomfortable with strangers asking for change. When this has happened you can say you've been to downtown Houston.

If you actually want to see something downtown - you can see a lot of the city all at once if you go to the observation deck of the Chase Tower at 600 Travis, pictured above (Public domain photo taken from Wikipedia)

Downtown is home to the theater district - Houston Theater District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is also home to Minute Maid Park, but the Astros finished their season on Sunday. There are restaurants, bars and more scattered around downtown, which has a nightlife scene that has emerged in the last few years - downtown used to shut down after 5pm and some of it still does, pretty much.

Down the light rail line from downtown is the Museum District and Hermann Park, as well as the Texas Medical Center (not much for visitors to see there aside from the growing skyline). A visit to the Houston Museum of Natural Science is a good bet for a one-time visit, but there are several museums there - Houston Museum District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are too many restaurants, bars, clubs, pubs, small live music venues etc. to name and they're scattered everywhere. There isn't really a single *hot spot* - go from Midtown (Main Street between I-45 and US 59 and its surroundings) down Elgin/Westheimer, Alabama or Wheeler/Richmond and westward toward the Galleria and that covers much of the *party zone* such as it is here...Houston is not a tourist-oriented place, and a lot of the entertainment amenities tend to cater to locals. Still you can find something to do.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:43 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Daniel, 77005 is one of the most prestigious zip codes in this city! You'll have no problems. But, yeah, rent a car. We are not known for our public transportation breakthroughs.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the info. I feel much better now.

Daniel_T
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston