Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 08:48 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
I think they should stay the same.

Most people that would like to change them are between the ages of 18-26 or so. By the time you pass that age your thoughts of changing the blue laws start to decrease. We are both very large commuter cities and if we were to change them the later you push the closing times the better chance you have of drunk drivers intermingling with the morning commuters.

Harris County is already the worst county in the country for drunk drivers.
I'll play devil's advocate
Why should we punish law abiding citizens that don't drive drunk because of the actions of a few people?
Why do we have to solve everything by passing laws that take away our freedoms and give more rights to government to control our lives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 08:53 PM

32 posts, read 41,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'll play devil's advocate
Why should we punish law abiding citizens that don't drive drunk because of the actions of a few people?
Why do we have to solve everything by passing laws that take away our freedoms and give more rights to government to control our lives?

Couldn't have said it better. This reminds me of the gun control argument, when the overwhelming majority are law abbiding citizens.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:53 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
I think they should stay the same.

Most people that would like to change them are between the ages of 18-26 or so. By the time you pass that age your thoughts of changing the blue laws start to decrease. We are both very large commuter cities and if we were to change them the later you push the closing times the better chance you have of drunk drivers intermingling with the morning commuters.

Harris County is already the worst county in the country for drunk drivers.
Perhaps it has something to do with public transportation or lack there of? When I lived back East and I got drunk, it was easy to take the bus home. Here? Nope.

Quote:
I just think is funny that the areas with the most blue laws are the ones that claim to be against "Big government trying to tell us how to do our things"
Just typical political hypocrisy,
they are against something when it affects, when it doesn't affect them, they support it.
Every time I think I might vote Republican because they're promising less government, I just look at Texas and it's obvious they're lying. They tell you how to buy a car; how to buy contacts; how specific medical procedures must be performed; when you can buy anything with alcohol; and how to buy cold medicine. They won't even legalize brew pubs for God's sake! Less government my ass.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Perhaps it has something to do with public transportation or lack there of? When I lived back East and I got drunk, it was easy to take the bus home. Here? Nope.

Every time I think I might vote Republican because they're promising less government, I just look at Texas and it's obvious they're lying. They tell you how to buy a car; how to buy contacts; how specific medical procedures must be performed; when you can buy anything with alcohol; and how to buy cold medicine. They won't even legalize brew pubs for God's sake! Less government my ass.

LOL...Yea I'm a conservative that leans more toward the Libertarian side. Less government is less government. People don't realize how much the government is in our lives.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:14 PM

563 posts, read 910,259 times
Quote:

Are you really comparing Texas to anything on the East Coast? At least our government isn't snatching sodas out of our hands or taxing us on sugar consumption.

I think availability of public transportation, cabs, and the density or how spread out the city is all factors in. Everyone drives here and almost everything requires a car. A lot of the people you see drunk driving are drving from a place like Washington Ave. all the way out to Clear Lake.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:25 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
I don't know that its the clubs closing at 2am that's to blame for the lack of tourism in Texas. In California the clubs also close at 2am.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I don't know that its the clubs closing at 2am that's to blame for the lack of tourism in Texas. In California the clubs also close at 2am.

Not saying that's a reason but if people enjoyed themselves they would keep coming back. I have lived in NYC so I guess I see things different. It would be nice if Texans would be a little more foward thinking. Look at all the money we give Oklahoma and Louisiana in gambling dollars.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:59 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Like the laws that make it illegal for us to buy medicine in Canada and/or Mexico
Lift ban on buying medicines from Canada - Feb. 2005

Old 07-28-2012, 10:18 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
Quote:
Like the laws that make it illegal for us to buy medicine in Canada and/or Mexico
Lift ban on buying medicines from Canada - Feb. 2005
Interesting...

Old 07-28-2012, 10:24 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,370,872 times
I think that having to wait until noon on Sunday to buy a bottle of wine is ridiculous. I once got to the checkout at 11:58am and had to wait the two minutes to purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston