Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 06:36 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,144,476 times

Advertisements

They also do the Motown review every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 06:44 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,770,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
I think most of these people don't live in the loop or are not interested in cultural stuff for fun....ie, they are more into clubbing, outdoor activities, shopping, movies, thrill seeking activies, etc.. Not saying people outside of the loop don't lead interesting lives, many do, but I know the majority of people who live really far away are less inclined to do activities in the loop unless it was something special, they'd go to the museum once a year instead of every month. WHen I lived further out, I was like that, couldn't be bothered unless it was a 'must see' performance.
Yes but the David Dollar crowd do live inside the loop or in his case, close enough. The whole Houston is boring threads were populated by people who claimed they lived inside the loop and were bored. I say...how?

Old 08-07-2012, 11:28 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Yes but the David Dollar crowd do live inside the loop or in his case, close enough. The whole Houston is boring threads were populated by people who claimed they lived inside the loop and were bored. I say...how?
I do live inside the loop. The Heights is kind of famous for that. When you actually LIVE in Houston you will be entitled to formulate an opinion on living here. Houston being boring or not really depends on the activities you prefer. I have a great job, practice competitive judo, play in a band, and do volunteer work with underprivileged children. Am I bored? No. Do I find Houston boring? Somewhat. Why? Because I prefer a different type of lifestyle than what Houston offers. I would prefer to use public transportation and would like a denser city. I like rock/reggae and Houston is more of a rap/tejano town. I would like a city with a thriving live music scene, a large.creative class, and some natural beauty. I would also peefer a cooler climate. It really boils down to personal preference. If you like overpriced bars and restaurants full.d.bags and yuppies, a huge corporate presence, income disparity, a lack of charm, huge ghettos, humidity, and bad roads, then Houston may be for you. Now there are pockets of coolness, but they are few and far between.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
I do live inside the loop. The Heights is kind of famous for that. When you actually LIVE in Houston you will be entitled to formulate an opinion on living here. Houston being boring or not really depends on the activities you prefer. I have a great job, practice competitive judo, play in a band, and do volunteer work with underprivileged children. Am I bored? No. Do I find Houston boring? Somewhat. Why? Because I prefer a different type of lifestyle than what Houston offers. I would prefer to use public transportation and would like a denser city. I like rock/reggae and Houston is more of a rap/tejano town. I would like a city with a thriving live music scene, a large.creative class, and some natural beauty. I would also peefer a cooler climate. It really boils down to personal preference. If you like overpriced bars and restaurants full.d.bags and yuppies, a huge corporate presence, income disparity, a lack of charm, huge ghettos, humidity, and bad roads, then Houston may be for you. Now there are pockets of coolness, but they are few and far between.
Then why the hell are you still here? You know you're free to move anywhere in the country you like?

Old 08-08-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
See, this is my issue. You use the word "bored" and then complain about the heat and mass transit. Those two items have nothing to do with being bored. They are valid complaints, they just don't support your argument. We've been through this before. Boston, NY, LA all would be boring cities based on "most" of your criteria, not all. I don't think your ideal city even exists. NYC has a huge income disparity, high cost of living, tons of d-bags, huge corporate presence (hell, it's the largest institutional sales town in the world.) Replace the hot summers with cold winters. And don't even tell me you find natural beauty in NY, LOL.

I have traveled to most of the large cities in the US and Houston is one of the greenest cities I have ever seen. Sure, it's flat. There are no mountains. But Chicago is flat too. So is London. So is Paris. Houston has plenty of parks, open green spaces, tons of lakes surrounding Houston, ocean is an hour away, plenty of hiking and biking trails.

Seriously David, the problem people have with your argument is that you keep repeating it but you can't support it. Saying your bored and citing the weather and traffic does not help your cause.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Then why the hell are you still here? You know you're free to move anywhere in the country you like?
That's not really any of your business is it.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
See, this is my issue. You use the word "bored" and then complain about the heat and mass transit. Those two items have nothing to do with being bored. They are valid complaints, they just don't support your argument. We've been through this before. Boston, NY, LA all would be boring cities based on "most" of your criteria, not all. I don't think your ideal city even exists. NYC has a huge income disparity, high cost of living, tons of d-bags, huge corporate presence (hell, it's the largest institutional sales town in the world.) Replace the hot summers with cold winters. And don't even tell me you find natural beauty in NY, LOL.

I have traveled to most of the large cities in the US and Houston is one of the greenest cities I have ever seen. Sure, it's flat. There are no mountains. But Chicago is flat too. So is London. So is Paris. Houston has plenty of parks, open green spaces, tons of lakes surrounding Houston, ocean is an hour away, plenty of hiking and biking trails.

Seriously David, the problem people have with your argument is that you keep repeating it but you can't support it. Saying your bored and citing the weather and traffic does not help your cause.
I don't really have an argument here. I just said that Houston is not the city for me. I specifically said that I was NOT bored.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
I don't really have an argument here. I just said that Houston is not the city for me. I specifically said that I was NOT bored.
Right you said Houston was a boring city and cited the weather and mass transit. As we've discussed before, if one has good friends, even Tulsa could be a fun city. And if one had no friends in NY, it wouldn't be that exciting. Perhaps you just need to make more friends in the Houston area.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Right you said Houston was a boring city and cited the weather and mass transit. As we've discussed before, if one has good friends, even Tulsa could be a fun city. And if one had no friends in NY, it wouldn't be that exciting. Perhaps you just need to make more friends in the Houston area.
No. I commented on The Miller (which I like).

Old 08-08-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
That's not really any of your business is it.
So you just come on here to troll? It defies logic for somebody to be that unhappy in a city, but still choose to live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston