Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 08:29 PM

135 posts, read 335,292 times

Advertisements

I noticed a few weeks ago some mushrooms growing in my mulch, I picked them and tossed them. Recently I've been getting this little tiny things that look like little cups. I try and pick them out but a few days later they are all back. Anyway, yesterday I tried digging them out and noticed under the top of my mulch the whole inner layer was turned white. I think I've got a huge fungus in there. I noticed my trees and plants in there had some withering leaves but I thought it was from the summer andante not enough water. Will this mold kill the plants and trees? Is there any way to fix this short of removing all the mulch and replacing it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 05:33 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Slime mold...

It is probably slime mold, it will produce mushrooms, and there are various strains. Nothing needs to be done, it is harmless and organic too. Just rake it. It is common around here in the summer heat and humidity. Are you new to Houston, or taking care of a lawn in Houston?

Old 08-08-2012, 05:55 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
August seems to be mold season in my yard as well. Usually that Scotts fungus killer in the orange bag works pretty well. Turn the mulch over thoroughly, apply the fungus killer and water it in or wait for rain. Should take care of it. Pretty soon that mold will spread and cause brown patches in your yard. The first cluster of mushrooms in the yard during mid-summer is usually your warning sign.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:58 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
you want your compost/mulch to rot and decay. that is how the plants absorb nutrients from it. otherwise they are just a colorful blanket for your plants. if you got mushrooms growing (eating decaying matter) that is a good sign. I'd be hesitant about spreading a fungicide for a natural process. i avoid chemicals and chemical fertilizers as much as possible

Old 08-09-2012, 08:21 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,523,041 times
I had several spots of slime mold growing in my mulch last year. It was unsightly, but it didn't harm my shrubs or trees. I tried spraying a little bleach water mix directly on the slime mold, but it really didn't seem to do anything to it. Putting fungicide on your st. augustine grass is a good idea, but I'd be a little hesitant to put it on my mulch beds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston