Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 09:13 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times

Advertisements

Ideally, in my opinion, Houston would actually only have three skylines: Downtown, the Galleria, and TMC, with everything else being absorbed into DT. Imagine how much larger DT would be if we added Greenway (minus Lakewood), Greenspoint, Energy Corridor, etc....of course, without the suburban office park style architecture.

Multiple skylines aren't necessarily about zoning, but it's the way Sunbelt cities build themselves up. Atlanter has zoning, and they have several skylines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 06:06 AM

4,606 posts, read 6,429,984 times
This is about the only place I have seen people proclaiming that no zoning regulations is a good thing.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:38 AM

58 posts, read 101,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
Exactly. Don't get me wrong, Houston's skyline is extremely impressive for the sheer amount of sky scrapers and size, but Chicago is on a whole another level. I was at Grant park for Lollapalooza and being surrounded by all those buildings was breathtaking. Most of the buildings are architecturally gorgeous with lots of shine and unique designs. Houston has some standout sky scrapers but overall its kind of bland and some are downright atrocious looking. I think Austin will be a force to reckon within the coming decades considering their growth.
Houston's skyline is most impressive coming from the east. I'd be willing to bet most people don't know this.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:44 AM

670 posts, read 1,442,249 times
Jeez, people will argue about anything these days won't they?

Old 09-26-2013, 09:34 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Houston's uptown skyline is starting to look more impressive than its downtown skyline. I can't quite put my finger on it but Houston's downtown skyline looks un impressive to me. It could be all the glass buildings, the architecture or that they just don't seem like towering skyscrapers to me. It just reminds me of downtown Dallas or something.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:53 AM

58 posts, read 101,458 times
Looks pretty good to me. A visual history lesson as an added bonus.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:06 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
That's a cool pic but you cannot honestly say it's a incredibly impressive skyline. I think they way Austin is expanding theirs it's looking a bit better.

It certainly doesn't compare to NYC, LA, and Chicago. But that doesn't matter. In fact I think uptown's skyline, while very spread out is looking more impressive than downtown.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:32 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Next time you go over the Houston Ship Channel on 610, take a look at our skyline. It looks as though it's all connected.

Just go to Google Maps, and do a street view from the 610 bridge going over the channel and hit the zoom button.

BTW, it used to be that Transco Tower (I'll stick with that name, lol) was the tallest building outside of a downtown proper in the US. I'm not sure if that's still the case.

Edit. I did a quick screen capture. Unfortunately, it seems to have been a hazy day when the Google car did it's drive, and the resolution isn't that great. But, it give you an idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Does anyone not like the way Houston's skyline is developing?-htown.jpg  

Old 09-26-2013, 02:03 PM

872 posts, read 828,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
That's a cool pic but you cannot honestly say it's a incredibly impressive skyline. I think they way Austin is expanding theirs it's looking a bit better.

It certainly doesn't compare to NYC, LA, and Chicago. But that doesn't matter. In fact I think uptown's skyline, while very spread out is looking more impressive than downtown.

I agree it's not an impressive skyline.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:20 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonForThis View Post
Looks pretty good to me. A visual history lesson as an added bonus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
I agree it's not an impressive skyline.
I just don't think that's a good picture of our skyline.

These two are much better:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston