Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 07:55 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,964,944 times

Advertisements

I have only heard good things about Underbelly. This list could be a.little deceiving. These are 50 restaurants nominated for best new restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 08:02 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
I have only heard good things about Underbelly. This list could be a.little deceiving. These are 50 restaurants nominated for best new restaurant.
And Houston's own Debbie Downer has entered the building.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:14 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,964,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
And Houston's own Debbie Downer has entered the building.
Why? Because I pointed something out? I didn't say they weren't good. Quite the opposite. I said I had only heard good things about Underbelly. My friends love it.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:51 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
I may go to uchi but not a fan of the trendy farm to table movement. Tiny strange food that comes out way different than description and costs a fortune. Had squash blossoms with eggplant and there was no squash and the eggplant was white and the size of my pinkie. 21.95

Old 08-09-2012, 06:24 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,048,839 times
a squash blossom is the flower of the squash plant - not the squash itself

farm to table is based on local, seasonable, sustainable cooking. hard to not like that. uchi isn't really what i'd describe as farm to table

watch Jaime Oliver's program in American schools. vast majority of elementary students didn't know what a tomato looked like.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:18 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshoota View Post
Uchi is great. I am not a sushi fan but they have a menu full of other stuff. I really like Underbelly (and the all the different beer options next door at Hay Merchant) but the portions are small. I did have a friend tell me he ordered something and it was a large portion but I can't remember what he said he ordered. I have not tried Oxheart yet but it is supposed to be the best of all three.

It is very impressive that Texas had 7 places on the list (Hou 3, Aus, 2, Dal 1, FW 1) while Cali had 6 and NY only had 4.
But but but how can this be? Arent California and NY on the coasts and meccas for tourist... there must be something wrong with the publication or author or lists.... Houston is fly over country....how can hey pretend to have great new places to eat on a par with NY or CA? shessh..some people have no clue

Old 08-10-2012, 04:12 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
a squash blossom is the flower of the squash plant - not the squash itself

farm to table is based on local, seasonable, sustainable cooking. hard to not like that. uchi isn't really what i'd describe as farm to table

watch Jaime Oliver's program in American schools. vast majority of elementary students didn't know what a tomato looked like.
Thanks for the lesson...I dont think restauraunts serving this for $49
is teaching inner city kids bout veggies...oh wait a tomato is a fruit.

pickled and dried peaches and figs, toasted rye, salted creme fraiche, thymes
roast summer squash, squash blossom soubise, vadouvan, mint
a stew of sunflower seeds and barley, lightly wilted ‘lacinato’ kale, pickled eggplant
a tart of summer figs, fig jam, lemon thyme
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 08-14-2012, 11:48 AM

122 posts, read 222,327 times
The Top 10 came out today. Oxheart was number 8.

America's Best New Restaurants of 2012: RESTAURANTS+TRAVEL: bonappetit.com

Old 08-14-2012, 12:16 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,048,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
Thanks for the lesson...I dont think restauraunts serving this for $49
is teaching inner city kids bout veggies...oh wait a tomato is a fruit.

pickled and dried peaches and figs, toasted rye, salted creme fraiche, thymes
roast summer squash, squash blossom soubise, vadouvan, mint
a stew of sunflower seeds and barley, lightly wilted ‘lacinato’ kale, pickled eggplant
a tart of summer figs, fig jam, lemon thyme
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
uchi has nothing to do with Jamie Oliver's program. i wouldnt say their food is for "kids" although my little nieces and nephews would be able to eat there - and know what they are eating. id hope an adult would know what kale, figs, thyme, rye, creme fraiche, squash, and mint are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: