Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 07:18 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,746,762 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who lives in The Woodlands who had real hardwood floors. Many years back, he had his dishwasher go out (seal in the hose) and the water went through the kitchen into the dining room and entry. They didn't notice it until the next morning. It caused extensive damage to the wood floors that had to be replaced. This summer, while on vacation, he had the pan in his attic under the a/c spill over while they were in Florida and ruin the floors again. He replaced it all with tile (it wouldn't have been my choice), because he didn't ever want to go through the disruption of having new floors put in.

My parents had the water line to their ice maker burst about 4 years ago ruining a section of their wood floors. One of their neighbors had a ice maker in their bar go out and ruin the floor in their game room.

I am going with the porcelain "wood" tiles partially due to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 10:21 AM

7,902 posts, read 11,488,092 times
For the same reason I selected a bamboo manufactured wood floor. The bamboo was stained to look like an Oak. The flooring I used was rated the highest by consumer reports for a kitchen flooring since the bamboo is somewhat water tolerant. In Houston, the first floor on slab can sweat and damage the real wood floors I was told. So I picked a somewhat water resistent wood for my downstairs and for my upstairs gameroom over the garage. It definaly helped sell my home in 77079 at a $400k+ price point in 2010. I paid as much for that floor as I did for a hardwood floor handscaped in Plano in 2010. In Houston, where the ground floor is typically not built off the ground, I think this is a good choice at least at the price point I sold in.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:58 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,746,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
For the same reason I selected a bamboo manufactured wood floor. The bamboo was stained to look like an Oak. The flooring I used was rated the highest by consumer reports for a kitchen flooring since the bamboo is somewhat water tolerant. In Houston, the first floor on slab can sweat and damage the real wood floors I was told. So I picked a somewhat water resistent wood for my downstairs and for my upstairs gameroom over the garage. It definaly helped sell my home in 77079 at a $400k+ price point in 2010. I paid as much for that floor as I did for a hardwood floor handscaped in Plano in 2010. In Houston, where the ground floor is typically not built off the ground, I think this is a good choice at least at the price point I sold in.

Good to know about the bamboo.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:23 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,929,609 times
Does anyone know the cost of bamboo versus traditional hardwood floors (i.e. oak)? If I were ever to get new floors / buy another house, I'm curious to know the cost effectiveness of bamboo. Plus it grows like weeds and is highly sustainable, so there's the feel good vibe there too.

To the OP, my $.02: If you're in the $400k+ market, I would suggest real hardwoods and/or very nice tile (high end ceramic, low end travertine (oxymoron?) throughout downstairs living spaces, high end ceramic tile in kitchen / bathrooms / laundry room, and a neutral color carpet in the bedrooms and upstairs. People like carpet under their feet in their bedrooms.
If you're under the $400k mark, probably replace the real hardwood I mentioned with engineered woods and go with medium grade large tile (15" or bigger) in wet areas; carpet in the same places as before.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:33 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,717,260 times
I am not a big fan of engineered hardwoods. Solid wood is better for resale. I am not a fan of putting any carpet in the houses. Carpet really is not much cheaper than hardwoods. Well good quality carpets. You do have to put a noise barrier below it or you will hear every step. I even like hardwoods in the kitchen. I have never heard of anyone having a dishwasher mishap. I have had hardwoods in my kitchen six years with no problems. There are all types at all different prices of hardwoods. Bamboo is more expensive than red oak which is normal wood used in houses. Though I am more talking about sanded and stained woods. Not prefinished which is what the OP is probably looking for. Check out lumber liquidators to get an idea of prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston