Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 11:31 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,864,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
So you "heard" Houston is the most boring city in the nation and you "heard" everyone is trying to move out of the city but only stay there because of job growth? So that means you've never been to the city or spent any significant time there? Nothing in your post establishes your personal experience with the city. Just heresy. Your credibility is shot.
I agree. People go from one extreme to the other with these types of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 11:32 AM

886 posts, read 1,561,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Its noon here, about 91 degrees. the plants are thirsty. Mind sending us some of that rain to keep our green stuff green
Thankfully it's stopped now.

I'll give the rain water to Kevin. He will give it to you in the ATL.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:08 PM

940 posts, read 2,024,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
Going by your criteria I wouldn't put Portland on that list.
I feel I put Portland where it makes sense. Boston is not hip. Neither is Portland. Compared to the rest of the country? sure.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
While all this is happening I'm still looking at dweebos list wondering if he's taken in some green stuff this morning. It's hard having a worse list than Forbes but he's done it!
You guys care to elaborate ????

I stand by my list, or at least the underlying assumptions of what "hip" means. If you have another definition of "hip" I'd love to hear it... but I think of it as basically having to do with being highly "aware" of burgeoning trends in popular culture. I'm looking up the word and actually most of the dictionaries define it as following the latest trends--not necessarily creating them. Even if that's the case I think my list still makes sense, with some changes.

Where in the US can you go and see things that the rest of the country will be doing/wearing/listening to/reading/eating/whatevering in a few years? That's obviously NYC and then to a lesser degree LA. After that, things fall off pretty sharply so I'm not sure where things fall but I guess going by just "latest trend following" you would have to put SF and Portland up higher just for culinary trends.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:13 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,497,331 times
Forbes should put out a list of the "Most Popular and Best Looking Ghettos in the USA". That would get a lot of discussion on CityData.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:50 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,864,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
I feel I put Portland where it makes sense. Boston is not hip. Neither is Portland. Compared to the rest of the country? sure.
Look at the criteria you have listed then look at Portland again. It doesn't deserve to be on that list... if anything, I don't think Portland would wanna be on your list of "cool".

Old 08-15-2012, 05:21 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,433,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
Boston is not hip.
I concur. It incubates socially awkward, Establishment, Brooks Brothers dressing people like John Kerry and Mitt Romney.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:27 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,826,095 times
Of course there will be bashing... I've been saying for years that Houston is an underrated city, certainly has lots of "coolness"... but isn't portrayed well (or just ignored) by the media and Hollywood... which has a huge effect on perception.

Though there is definitely something subjective in measuring "coolness", if it is to be quantified, a lot of the criteria Forbes used for this list is legit:

Houston enjoyed 2.6 percent job growth last year, and nearly 50,000 Americans flocked there in response — particularly young professionals. In fact, the median age of a Houston resident is a youthful 33. It also considered the number of entertainment options per capita in each metro area, amount of green space, the cost and number of outdoor activities available and the number of pro and college sports teams. Also a factor were restaurants and bars per capital, excluding chains, and diversity of population.

Using data from Sperlings Best Places, Forbes.com ranked the cities by looking at entertainment options, the number of restaurants and bars, recreational, outdoor and cultural activities, cost of living, green spaces, and job opportunities.
It found the influx of young professionals in Houston has prompted an increase in restaurants, galleries and stylish housing, which along with a thriving theater and art scene make it an enviable place to live.

Professional jobs mean young professionals move in. Young professionals have money and like to have fun. Being a very pro-business city like Houston is, new places easily pop up to accommodate the growing demand for cool bars, restaurants, art places, recreation, etc. etc. This has being going on for several years. Even before that, Houston had a very quirky vibe because of the lack of formal zoning.

The main area Houston lacks "coolness" and thus has people scoffing at this list? Perception. But again, perception is very dependent on the way a place has or hasn't been portrayed, at no fault of its own.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
Look at the criteria you have listed then look at Portland again. It doesn't deserve to be on that list... if anything, I don't think Portland would wanna be on your list of "cool".
eh, there are definitely people in portland who think they are cool and hip--just like anywhere with a modicum of name recognition.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:50 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,979,818 times
I have never been to Houston so I will hold off bashing since to say whether Houston is hip or not you have to visit to make a credible opinon. However, I have been to Dallas so I can say with certainty that this list is "fubar". Dallas ranked number 4 ahead of New York and San Francisco as far as hip? Puleeeze
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston