Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 01:05 AM

940 posts, read 2,027,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
Yes, of course, but follow closely to what I'm saying. They feel they're hip and cool but not based on your definition of cool. Read your criteria again and that doesn't sound like Portland at all... I actually feel Portland is much cooler than that.
Ok sure I agree, Portland is "cool" in other ways but it's not overly "hip." Hip to me specifically refers to being on the "cutting edge" ie "Hip to the new trends."

I put Portland on there in the rung with Boston because, although it is not very hip it is sure much hipper than most of America. There are plenty of people in Portland who care about using the right type fonts, for instance. It's not like Portland is entirely full of people who are "too cool to care about being hip."

Maybe you were misinterpreting what I said about wearing nice/classy clothes? This is what I mean.. here's a guy from this blog "urban weeds" which is Portland's version of NYC's The Sartorialist. Tell me this guy does not care about being fashionable and owning nice things...

Portland's on my list because you are much more likely to find this guy on the street in Portland than you would in, say, Sacramento.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 01:16 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,869,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
Ok sure I agree, Portland is "cool" in other ways but it's not overly "hip." Hip to me specifically refers to being on the "cutting edge" ie "Hip to the new trends."

I put Portland on there in the rung with Boston because, although it is not very hip it is sure much hipper than most of America. There are plenty of people in Portland who care about using the right type fonts, for instance. It's not like Portland is entirely full of people who are "too cool to care about being hip."

Maybe you were misinterpreting what I said about wearing nice/classy clothes? This is what I mean.. here's a guy from this blog "urban weeds" which is Portland's version of NYC's The Sartorialist. Tell me this guy does not care about being fashionable and owning nice things...

Portland's on my list because you are much more likely to find this guy on the street in Portland than you would in, say, Sacramento.

Now... I will have to apologize dweebo because I'm just gonna change the subject here and divert my conversation to AK123 by using that photo of that guy you posted. See this guy here is what you would call a hipster. And you are right, dweebo... this guy is fashionable and into owning nice things... And that's what I personally find "flaunting" and a bit "spazzy" and "in your face" type of attitude. This guy really does want people to think that he is in fact into nice and cool things.

This is something you would most likely never ever find in Austin! And to be perfectly honest, I never saw or met anyone wearing ties either on a night out or during the day when people are working. And that's why I think Austin is not at all this "in-you-face-trying-to-hard" kind of city at all. It's a false statement and people who say such things about Austin are being quite disingenuous about Austin. Austin is a city where people don't "dress up" at all and it even got called as one of the worst dressed cities by GQ. That's a certain list I think even Austin is proud to have made. It thrives on the idea that you don't have to "dress to impress" people and it's all about just being yourself. I hope you hear what I'm saying AK123 because I am stating an absolute fact about Austin. Go to the Austin thread and everybody will tell you this very same thing.

Ok, sorry, dweebo... I know this has nothing to do with you but you presented a perfect opportunity for me to address this particular issue.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:57 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
The bolded line is an unfalsifiable hypothesis but its not as if Austin even cares.

I think Austin is like the only city on the planet that just doesn't care what people try to label it as. I mean that sincerely... the people there just don't care what people from Houston or any other city think of it. Even when people think that Austin is trying to be like Portland or San Francisco.... the funny thing is they are making very original strides that only said cities wish they had.

But darned if Austin opens up a place like the Highball and now they're "trying too hard"... oh please.

these guys are a perfect example of what Austin's attitude is... call it "austintude" if you'd like, I find it particularly awesome. Basically is using negative criticism against them and using it in their favor... calling it "awesome".

Justine's Brasserie
Quote:
Now... I will have to apologize dweebo because I'm just gonna change the subject here and divert my conversation to AK123 by using that photo of that guy you posted. See this guy here is what you would call a hipster. And you are right, dweebo... this guy is fashionable and into owning nice things... And that's what I personally find "flaunting" and a bit "spazzy" and "in your face" type of attitude. This guy really does want people to think that he is in fact into nice and cool things.

This is something you would most likely never ever find in Austin! And to be perfectly honest, I never saw or met anyone wearing ties either on a night out or during the day when people are working. And that's why I think Austin is not at all this "in-you-face-trying-to-hard" kind of city at all. It's a false statement and people who say such things about Austin are being quite disingenuous about Austin. Austin is a city where people don't "dress up" at all and it even got called as one of the worst dressed cities by GQ. That's a certain list I think even Austin is proud to have made. It thrives on the idea that you don't have to "dress to impress" people and it's all about just being yourself. I hope you hear what I'm saying AK123 because I am stating an absolute fact about Austin. Go to the Austin thread and everybody will tell you this very same thing.

Ok, sorry, dweebo... I know this has nothing to do with you but you presented a perfect opportunity for me to address this particular issue.
Um, obviously you DO care (I assume you're a former Austinite) because you are arguing so much against someone's opinion and experience you didn't like. I'm from Austin and there is a lot of truth in the "Austintude" (which you don't seem to understand the real definition of from above, either.)

I mean, it's not a general quality of the populace, but there are major undertones. You'll even see it in the Austin forum.... if there's any criticism of Austin, they'll jump and get very defensive. When articles like the thread topic came out, the local Austin writers and bloggers just couldn't stand that another city was getting more recognition than Austin. So they ripped into Houston and the other cities on the list. Come on man, a lot of people in Austin are always putting other cities down while at the same time trying to convince others that Austin is the end-all-be-all, and they are horrible at taking any criticism.... don't tell me this doesn't exist. It's very real, whether or not you acknowledge it.

As far as hipsters, they're here, but they are not the same kind as Portland hipsters. And it's not as much about them or their dress, but more an attitude or lifestyle. By the way, I don't have a problem with hipsters and don't see what the big deal with them is.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:18 AM

940 posts, read 2,027,634 times
Quote:
no worries! you'll notice Austin wasn't on my list. The last time Austin was "hip" was the days of "alt" and "indie"... and Austin has pretty much stayed in that general realm.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:04 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
The bolded line is an unfalsifiable hypothesis but its not as if Austin even cares.
I think Austin is like the only city on the planet that just doesn't care what people try to label it as. I mean that sincerely... the people there just don't care what people from Houston or any other city think of it.
Oh, yes they do. They care a lot about what others think... and if it's not positive, they will either try to turn it around or will become very defensive. You are demonstrating that, in fact, with your lengthy replies to my one little statement which is my genuine opinion and observation after having lived there for several years and still going back quite often because of friends/family there.

Now, lots of places are this way (defensive), and Austin's no different... in fact sometimes, it's one of the worst. Texas as a whole tends to be this way.

Quote:
Now... I will have to apologize dweebo because I'm just gonna change the subject here and divert my conversation to AK123 by using that photo of that guy you posted. See this guy here is what you would call a hipster. And you are right, dweebo... this guy is fashionable and into owning nice things... And that's what I personally find "flaunting" and a bit "spazzy" and "in your face" type of attitude. This guy really does want people to think that he is in fact into nice and cool things. This is something you would most likely never ever find in Austin! And to be perfectly honest, I never saw or met anyone wearing ties either on a night out or during the day when people are working. And that's why I think Austin is not at all this "in-you-face-trying-to-hard" kind of city at all.
I wasn't talking "in your face" as in dressing a certain way, especially with ties. Perhaps the use of the word "hipsterness" wasn't the best, but you are being far too rigid with your idea of it. The "trying too hard" I was referring to was the obnoxious, "I'm cool 'cause I live in the Austin bubble, the rest of the state is so beneath us, and damned if anyone disagrees with that" sort of attitude and similar group-think that's very prevalent there. Yes, rather like Austitude/Austintude... the real kind, and not your own definition.

Quote:
It's a false statement and people who say such things about Austin are being quite disingenuous about Austin. Austin is a city where people don't "dress up" at all and it even got called as one of the worst dressed cities by GQ. That's a certain list I think even Austin is proud to have made. It thrives on the idea that you don't have to "dress to impress" people and it's all about just being yourself. I hope you hear what I'm saying AK123 because I am stating an absolute fact about Austin. Go to the Austin thread and everybody will tell you this very same thing.
My opinion and personal experience over the years is a false statement? I'm being disingenuous? I said I was being honest, and I am. Sorry if you don't like it. Think about what you're saying. You are getting so defensive about this, which proves my point... you lived there a long time. Lots of people have agreed with me many times and shared my same opinion, so it's not just me. You are hung up on dress here, which I hadn't even mentioned. Oh, and I don't need to go read the Austin forum to get approval or not on my opinions, I lived there long enough to know it quite well.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:16 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
You dont know nothing!!!i been going to houston since i was a kid
So why didn't you say this instead of saying what you "heard"? I only KNOW what you state in this forum. Give us YOUR experiences of the city. Where did you go? What part of the city were you in?

Old 08-16-2012, 09:18 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Um, obviously you DO care (I assume you're a former Austinite) because you are arguing so much against someone's opinion and experience you didn't like. I'm from Austin and there is a lot of truth in the "Austintude" (which you don't seem to understand the real definition of from above, either.)

I mean, it's not a general quality of the populace, but there are major undertones. You'll even see it in the Austin forum.... if there's any criticism of Austin, they'll jump and get very defensive. When articles like the thread topic came out, the local Austin writers and bloggers just couldn't stand that another city was getting more recognition than Austin. So they ripped into Houston and the other cities on the list. Come on man, a lot of people in Austin are always putting other cities down while at the same time trying to convince others that Austin is the end-all-be-all, and they are horrible at taking any criticism.... don't tell me this doesn't exist. It's very real, whether or not you acknowledge it.

As far as hipsters, they're here, but they are not the same kind as Portland hipsters. And it's not as much about them or their dress, but more an attitude or lifestyle. By the way, I don't have a problem with hipsters and don't see what the big deal with them is.
The thing about Austin is that at times it goes out of its way to prove how un-Texan it is when in reality, it's just as Texan if not more than Houston or Dallas. They do a good job of going out of their way too because they have the rest of the nation believing it. Still love Austin. But it's a Texas city just like the others.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:21 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
This whole thread should never have gotten past the initial posting. The moment you see something in Forbes, you know right away that it's not worth discussing. That magazine must employ many more people than it needs, because there are evidently people sitting around without much of anything to do. So they look busy by making lists.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:29 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
So why didn't you say this instead of saying what you "heard"? I only KNOW what you state in this forum. Give us YOUR experiences of the city. Where did you go? What part of the city were you in?
Okay, i did not make a mistake by putting heard and then putting i been going there since i was a kid. Its the truth i HEARD and i BEEN GOING THEIR SINCE I WAS A KID. Question: Where did you go: My family memebers currently live in the area of memorial mall, i wont tell the street because thats weird but they live in that area. I visit them every once in awhile maybe every 1 or 2 years. I stay thier for about a couple of weeks then leave. Yep thats kind of it. My life was very boring i didnt do anything when i was their except go to the grocery store. i was actualy born in dallas moved to los angeles, then lived in chicago for a couple of months then moved to cincy.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:24 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,287,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
Yes, yes, yes, Forbes lists aren't worth the pixels they are printed on.. So why don't we try to come up with our own lists? Personally, I think somewhere is "hip" if people there are on the cutting edge of starting/adopting trends in what is/will be considered "cool." While "bohemian" has at times been a prerequisite for cool in the past (think last decade's rise and fall of the "hipster"), it seems as though current cool has more to do with having classy clothes/shoes, eating very high quality food, and being well educated and culturally aware (...in other words what I would have called a "yuppie" in my own hipster days). That said, new trends in "cool" still do seem to be coming pretty directly from the most "avant garde" corners of the culture class/art world--so I would say that having both a vibrant, cutting edge (in some ways bohemian) art/culture production scene and a strong/high-disposable income culturally aware consumption scene are the two things a city needs to have to be "hip" these days.

Considering those criteria, here's my list:

1. NYC
2. LA
3.Chicago/SF
4.Philadelphia/Seattle/Minneapolis (tied)
5.Portland/Boston
6.Houston/Dallas/DC/San Diego
I think you're over-complicating the distinctions between "cool" and "hip" - the fact is Portland is a very hip city, no matter how you slice it. I would put it above Philly, Seattle, Minneapolis, and Chicago on your list, easily. I'd put it on par with SF amd NYC as the three hippest cities in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston