Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 03:39 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,911,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
77064 is where I am, West Rd & BW8, which is right by your office. Jersey Village proper would meet most of your criteria, but I doubt you can find everything in that price range. Most of the other areas around JV are newer, 10-25 yr old neighborhoods. We have several neighborhoods off West Rd from the $100s to $300s and the schools are great. May not be as "walkable" as other areas, but we have lots of park land and areas around us for walking and biking. My commute to the downtown area is less than 30 min when there is no traffic, (45 min+ with traffic) and access to the Energy Corridor area is about 15-25 min or so, straight down the beltway. Take a look at homes in the 77064 zip, like Winchester Country & Winchester Trails, Willowbridge, Stonebridge, Westbridge, Woodwind Lakes (section 2, the gated part). If you have any questions about the area, neighborhoods, or the schools, (good vs just OK) certainly send me a message and I can help or answer your questions. We've been in that area for over 15 years and really like it.

As others have said, Copperfield and The Colonies are good also while staying in the budget, and are not too far away from work (~30 min or less). Champions is also a good option.
All great neighborhoods in Northwest Houston. We've lived there for 8 years and love the location and amenities for the price. (And just to clarify, the gated section of Woodwind Lakes is Section 4. Houses are smaller and less expensive but zoned to Gleason, a desirable elementary school.)

(trbstang - +1 Must spread rep around before repping you again, apparently.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 03:55 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Yeah, I am miffed why the OP wants to be so far SW of work to live. Prices are higher and the beltway is no joke of a commute. Plenty of nice places to live off 249. Eldridge to up there would be a major headache.

Dont get me wrong, I adore living along the park in the EC, but when i had to commute in from the north using the beltway...well..it wasn't fun.
This is exactly what I needed. It's one thing to look at a map and see several feasible routes, it's quite another to hear about the reality of commuting them.

I think I may start looking more at houses and apartments in the same ZIP code as work -- 77064. Although the commute would be nice, I was concerned about it being too far removed from all the cool stuff I'd want to do outside of work.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:03 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,990,784 times
Quote:
Yeah, I am miffed why the OP wants to be so far SW of work to live. Prices are higher and the beltway is no joke of a commute. Plenty of nice places to live off 249. Eldridge to up there would be a major headache.

Dont get me wrong, I adore living along the park in the EC, but when i had to commute in from the north using the beltway...well..it wasn't fun.

Once I read the post mentioning Chicago and assumed OP meant walkablity being like Chicago. Walking to the movies, grocery store, etc. Our walkablility is recreational not functioning unless you live somewhere in the Loop.

I never get the bike trails and running trails near by. EVERYWHERE has a park within reasonable distance. Unless you mean you want to walk out of the house and in 5 minutes be there. 15 minute drive, park, haul your body and start jogging or open the trunk and grab the bike. But I think people mean the they want the trail literally like a couple streets over. I'm in Spring, I get in the car and drive the short piece to Meyer Park if I'm in the mood for trails and park life. That works for me.

That's a little more tricky in Houston unless you're in the Loop or so.

But I really feel like people do mean they want to basically be on the park, see trails from their upstairs windows and stuff because it always sounds like an absolute necessity and with that I'm thinking within foot distance is what people want. Or is that just me?

Old 08-15-2012, 04:06 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,123 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
This is exactly what I needed. It's one thing to look at a map and see several feasible routes, it's quite another to hear about the reality of commuting them.

I think I may start looking more at houses and apartments in the same ZIP code as work -- 77064. Although the commute would be nice, I was concerned about it being too far removed from all the cool stuff I'd want to do outside of work.
Depends on what "cool stuff" is to you. I grew up in spring/Klein (just north of 77064) and it's a world away from Houston proper. I now live on the west side of Houston in spring branch and getting to the galleria, heights, memorial park is tons easier. If you find you like suburban lifestyle, 77064 is fine, but you won't be making "quick" trips into Houston during the week from up there.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:09 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Once I read the post mentioning Chicago and assumed OP meant walkablity being like Chicago. Walking to the movies, grocery store, etc. Our walkablility is recreational not functioning unless you live somewhere in the Loop.

I never get the bike trails and running trails near by. EVERYWHERE has a park within reasonable distance. Unless you mean you want to walk out of the house and in 5 minutes be there. 15 minute drive, park, haul your body and start jogging or open the trunk and grab the bike. But I think people mean the they want the trail literally like a couple streets over.

That's a little more tricky in Houston unless you're in the Loop or so.
Terry Hershey has several entry points that are walking distance. Atleast 13 neighborhoods have access directly to it in 77079, 77024, 77077 and 77042. They're about to add 3 more in 77043 when they complete the north trail to the reservoir wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston