U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 06:33 PM

3,702 posts, read 17,374,238 times

Advertisements

Everywhere in Houston floods, just don't live in the places where the bad floods get into the houses (check flood maps for that). Lived in Montrose through Allison and the 1994 floods with no problem, most of Heights was ok too. Made it through Erin lat month though some of the folks down the street were not so lucky.

As far as cars go, they are usually ok if they are in your driveway or you don't drive through high water.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 12:55 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,050,559 times
Well, I flooded out in Bellaire in 2001--one of the priciest areas of the city, so you know the homes are built higher normally when they are new ones. They had not flooded since 1963, so it happened much to everyone's surprise. Neighbors even lost their entire houses, because the flood water was 1-1/2 feet in the houses, and they could not repair them in time. And you know how fast that black mold grows in a humid, subtropical weather spot like Houston is? Well, if you don't, it is FAST!
Does anyone remember how HARD it was to get contractors at your house during the floods? If you did not have one lined up within about 2 weeks the wait--according to the local channels--was supposedly something like 9 MONTHS! Fini to the houses...torn down then. Too bad.
My only fear is not being able to get out of the Clear Lake/NASA area via flooded roads during that time.
Who among us can predict when that horrible flood happens that really prevents people from getting out for a long time? Or a flood that just destroys the roads so badly that it prevents evacuation? Totally. Or you get stuck on one of the roads going into the city of Houston or I-10 either way west or east...and along comes a hurricane?
The area is gorgeous, which is why I was interested. And cheap to live in...for a reason, I wonder????

Old 10-05-2007, 01:05 PM

5,697 posts, read 9,439,931 times
Yeah, I wonder, too. Why don't they build houses with legs? I have seen such homes in some country where there are lots of flooding. But then in Houston you also have to deal with strong winds which would probably knock down such houses quickly.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:08 PM

48 posts, read 217,702 times
I agree with Texas7 I wouldn't want to live no were in Houston beside Clear lake me and my family love it come join us.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:45 PM

3,702 posts, read 17,374,238 times
Egads, pretty much everywhere in the country is subject to flooding if you have 30+ inches of rain in 8 hours like we did in 2001. It does happen in other areas too you know. As far as the house not getting attended to, most of those houses in Bellaire were fixed. It doesn't take a contractor to tear out carpet and sheetrock, it is called DIY. 1 1/2 feet of water in 2001 was not much, many folks had water over the roof, the foundation on my uncle's house (51/2 ft water) literally floated...that is a destroyed house. Several of my neighbors got a foot of water from Erin a few weeks ago and most are already up and running with the exception of those that needed new cabinetry. Sure it isn't easy, but it doesn't get easier if you sit back and moan about it (see New Orleans for an example of that).

As far as hurricanes go...the weather ahead of a hurricane is generally clement and evacuation occurs or should occur well before the hurricane or surge reaches land. That is why so many folks were frustrated after Rita. They evacuated in time and the hurricane went elsewhere.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:17 PM

Not everyone is so gifted or capable as you, Poltracker, and so...alas! we have to depend on the kindness of strangers (i.e., contractors).
Let me guess: you are young, male, good with a hammer and saw? Not everyone who floods has your qualifications.
Do you really think a couple in their 60's or 70's could tear out their walls like you can? No, they cannot. So they sit and cry about it. Literally. Why? Are they sissies? Are they incompetent babies? No. They are old, not skilled in craftsmanship and probably infirmed. Get real: not everyone can do it themselves.
God bless those people whose water I remember in those awful series of 2000 or 2001 floods in San Antonio who had water to the ROOF of their houses!

Old 10-06-2007, 07:52 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,728,172 times
I lived in Friendswood in 1979 when a tropical depression dumped 30+ inches of rain in a short period of time and left ~3 ft of water in our house. We fortunately had flood insurance but we did most of the reconstruction and all of the demolition between my husband and me. Used the insurance money to buy another house in less flood prone area of Clear Lake. Anyway removal of damaged sheetrock is not that difficult -- hammer and prybar can work wonders. Wet carpet is bigger problem but if cut into smaller pieces it can be handled. I agree with poltracker and guess what, I will be 65 in a few months. The last time I pulled carpet was about 2 years ago and I managed to pull all the carpet out of a 1500 sq ft house by myself. Granted it wasn't wet and I didn't do it all the same day, but it can be done particularly if the alternative is completely losing the house.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:30 AM

8,797 posts, read 18,508,180 times
Well if you can't do it yourself - you have to hope you have been smart enough to purchase flood insurance and just have the work done. A lot of people like to do it themselves because they are good at it and enjoy it (not the flood - but the remodeling aspect of work) and there are others who do it themselves to profit a little from the flood insurance $$. Without insurance - if you can't do it yourself - you're sunk. Flood insurance is a relatively cheap investment, particularly if you don't live in a flood zone.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:05 AM

Totally agree about the flood insurance. Had a neighbor who saved the $250 a year and did not buy the flood insurance. House flooded...goodbye house. Had to be torn down totally. No insurance, lost tons of things like computers. Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston