Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 10:02 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
if locked car doors stopped car robberies that is news to me

kid killed brother with father's unlocked gun - "stuff happens"
Kids kill kids from drinking dads beer and driving drunk too. Is my handgun supposed to be locked up so I'll get killed when I can't access it?

Stick to what you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 11:22 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Lots of people keep guns in their cars....its VERY common. When Texas changed the law to allow anyone to have a gun in the car without requiring a CHL people started stashing them everywhere.

Leaving a gun in your car does not make one an idiot...
Yes it does. Because it menas it's really easy for any petty criminal to get their hands on one.

This is exactly why we need stricter gun laws.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Yes it does. Because it menas it's really easy for any petty criminal to get their hands on one.

A ten year old can get a gun regardless of gun laws.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:10 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,264,565 times
Quote:

The second amendment allows any petty criminal to just go buy a gun. If you outlaw guns only outlaws will have guns.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:50 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:

Actually we don't.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:02 PM

22 posts, read 34,893 times
WoW, you people are totally clueless aren't you? I've been harping about this for years. You really don't see whats going on? You have an incompetent police chief and mayor, you have silly excuses to justify the crime and just say "oh, its in every city". It's amazing that you live here and pay taxes and GET SO LITTLE in return, you drive on beat up streets and cops are only out to LET THE CORPORATIONS go home and drive in their parking lots with ease. You all should be disgusted and demanding that there be police doing more to get rid of this crap! You have some of the richest oil companies in the world here, yet the scum of all 3rd worlds live here and reign freely every night. You citizens need to really wake up.
The "jobs" you tout here pay next to nothing after paying for transportation/fuel cost on top of rent and groceries, its useless to work.. you don't make any money. Why not steal? Houston and Texas are not as great as you think they are, the jobs are minimum wage with no benefits. This place is a ghetto and you can watch the news every night and see it go down hill, society is rotting and you all just sit there and take it.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:15 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,770,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonisgreat View Post
WoW, you people are totally clueless aren't you? I've been harping about this for years. You really don't see whats going on? You have an incompetent police chief and mayor, you have silly excuses to justify the crime and just say "oh, its in every city". It's amazing that you live here and pay taxes and GET SO LITTLE in return, you drive on beat up streets and cops are only out to LET THE CORPORATIONS go home and drive in their parking lots with ease. You all should be disgusted and demanding that there be police doing more to get rid of this crap! You have some of the richest oil companies in the world here, yet the scum of all 3rd worlds live here and reign freely every night. You citizens need to really wake up.
The "jobs" you tout here pay next to nothing after paying for transportation/fuel cost on top of rent and groceries, its useless to work.. you don't make any money. Why not steal? Houston and Texas are not as great as you think they are, the jobs are minimum wage with no benefits. This place is a ghetto and you can watch the news every night and see it go down hill, society is rotting and you all just sit there and take it.
Aren't you being a little melodramatic? While the crime does concern me, it does seem to be more non violent crime. Still not happy about it. I think the big issue here is the zoning. In Chicago for example, they throw all the blacks and latinos out of the white areas and let them live together on the southwest and west side. They zone the northside to be white heaven.

NY doesn't even need zoning laws to keep crime out, criminals there can barely afford to live on staten island.

LA? Just live on the water or in the hills and build a big fence around your house. Let the thugs all fight it out in the valley.

Houston's greatest strength is it's greatest weakness. It's affordable!!!! Criminals can live just about anywhere in Houston since next to every nice high rise is a 40 year old dump. Since everyone is forced to live around each other it's a haven for criminals. I guess we could segregate Houston like we do Chicago and force all the criminals to live in the same area but then David Dollar will scream where is the diversity!!!!!

I'm not sure what the answer is. I think these apartment complexes just need to provide more security and raise their rents a little to pay for it.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:09 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,543,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
near Uptown and Upper Kirby there was an incident where a man followed a woman into the parking garage, took her at gunpoint. They went to her ATM and he emptied out her account.
Do you remember the date of and link to the article? ATM cards have daily withdrawal limits in the $500 to $1000 range, precisely to prevent something like this. This means that unless her account had only $500 to $1000 in it, the only way for the robber to clean her account out would be to get her to withdraw money from a live teller.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:59 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,770,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
Do you remember the date of and link to the article? ATM cards have daily withdrawal limits in the $500 to $1000 range, precisely to prevent something like this. This means that unless her account had only $500 to $1000 in it, the only way for the robber to clean her account out would be to get her to withdraw money from a live teller.
It was mentioned under a review for an apt place I'm looking to move to. It's on west creek lane off the 610 loop. I'll see if I can find the police report.

And the sad thing today is, many people that IS all they have in their account.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
It was mentioned under a review for an apt place I'm looking to move to. It's on west creek lane off the 610 loop. I'll see if I can find the police report.

And the sad thing today is, many people that IS all they have in their account.
West Creek isn't a bad complex. Much better than being west of 610 where all the foot traffic is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston