U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 09:08 AM

61 posts, read 260,910 times

Advertisements

Many parents have come to find out that they are losing their school route if they are living within 1 mile radius of school. I happen to be within one mile radius however when using the walkway and safe route to school my child will walk nearly two miles. The way the district measured this is how a CROW FLIES to school. My child will be unable to cut through people's backyards or through creeks.

For the parents who are concerned about this please join the Facebook group of parents who are trying to SOLVE the problem.

GO TO FACEBOOK, LOGIN and search for KATY BRING BACK OUR BUSES or click this link below and join!

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/k...gbackourbuses/

If you live in Katy and your route is still available. Please be sure to check ALL grade levels.

If you feel that no impact has been made to you, count how many schools you drive by on the way to work. Be prepared to sit in congested traffic due increased carpool lines for parents dropping off their children.

If you are already a car rider for school please be informed that your line will increase.

You may not have children in school yet, don't you want this problem solved BEFORE you have to deal with it come your school year?

KATYISD BOARD MEETING TUESDAY AUGUST 28TH @ 6PM WE NEED YOU THERE!!!
6301 S. STADIUM LANE,MAIN BOARD ROOM.
LETS MAKE OUR CONCERNS HEARD AND LETS FIX THIS PROBLEM!

Last edited by movingaroundok; 08-23-2012 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: updated link and meeting notice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 10:16 AM

18,357 posts, read 11,421,197 times
Why don't you guys just hire a private bus? Or get a job driving the bus.

State law says and pays for 2 miles from school. Any closer and transportation is getting taxpayers money that could go into the classroom.

Back in the olden days, moms would take turns walking the kids to and from school. What a concept.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:30 AM

413 posts, read 687,456 times
I live close to a school but didn't want my kids to walk, so I got together with some other parents and formed a car pool. There were many in the neighborhood. No one protested. We just dealt with it.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:40 AM

9,140 posts, read 6,940,108 times
Most school districts are starting this rule. Spring enforced it last year. Less buses on the streets but more cars.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:07 AM

6,112 posts, read 10,401,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingaroundok View Post
Many parents have come to find out that they are losing their school route if they are living within 1 mile radius of school. I happen to be within one mile radius however when using the walkway and safe route to school my child will walk nearly two miles. The way the district measured this is how a CROW FLIES to school. My child will be unable to cut through people's backyards or through creeks.
This is why we need Geographers. I wonder why school districts don't hire one for situations like this? They could also help with school/facility site selection and other things to make it a full time job.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:26 AM

18,357 posts, read 11,421,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
This is why we need Geographers. I wonder why school districts don't hire one for situations like this? They could also help with school/facility site selection and other things to make it a full time job.
The way to measure is probably already spelled out by the TEA.

Most districts hire demographers who geocode every kid in the district. There is a firm at Rice and one in Bryan who do a lot of work for school districts. The also know exactly how far they are from school. My district keeps all the data under 'bonds' on their site.

Better check out those computers the district provides, too. The school can remote control the camera and monitor the kid at home.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:16 PM

61 posts, read 260,910 times
Hi I am just trying to inform parents of ways to get together with other parents if they have a problem with what has been changed. I am not here to say walking or not walking is okay or if the district is good or bad. This is strictly just to inform parents that they do have other parents who are equally concerned. The changes made affects many katy residents in many different ways. I do not have a problem with walking or biking but what about bad weather? I am lucky enough that I do not work so I can pick my kids up via car. What about parents who do not have a choice and have to work? How can they ensure their child has safely gotten home if they are unable to pick them up. Not everyone has the same luxuries as anoher. Some kids have to walk by sex offender's homes to get to their house. This is a concern we want to find a solution NOT just complain. So if you want to get together with other parents to do so I posted the info.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:35 PM

240 posts, read 761,776 times
I work in KISD and this issue was brought up in a faculty meeting. We were told that the change was made because there are not enough qualified bus drivers in the district. There is a job fair tomorrow at Morton Ranch High School specifically to hire drivers. Concrete was being poured today at my school for sidewalks in preparation for students to walk to school next week.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:29 PM

1,628 posts, read 3,056,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thila View Post
I work in KISD and this issue was brought up in a faculty meeting. We were told that the change was made because there are not enough qualified bus drivers in the district. There is a job fair tomorrow at Morton Ranch High School specifically to hire drivers. Concrete was being poured today at my school for sidewalks in preparation for students to walk to school next week.
What exactly "qualifies" someone to drive a bus? I always thought it was simply being unqualified to do anything else....

Old 08-23-2012, 07:54 PM

3,884 posts, read 7,911,223 times
Why can't some of the stay home moms organize a walk to/from school group? Lord knows Katy has more than their share who could use the exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: