Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 07:49 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,024,391 times

Advertisements

People who say the weather is not unbearable obviously only have to walk to their car and back. Ask anyone who works outside atleast 4 hours a day (with no shade) will tell you different. I loathe people complaining about the weather when they sit in climate controlled buildings all day long. OMG it's so hot outside walking to my car and having to wait 5 minutes for the AC to cool the car. What really sucks is when it's 95* and it rains for a few minutes.

Weather in Houston is extremely horrible June-September and just bad May and October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 08:03 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,701 times
It is considerably worse than SC. It isn't unbearable, but it is uncomfortable.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:37 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,990,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
People who say the weather is not unbearable obviously only have to walk to their car and back. Ask anyone who works outside atleast 4 hours a day (with no shade) will tell you different. I loathe people complaining about the weather when they sit in climate controlled buildings all day long. OMG it's so hot outside walking to my car and having to wait 5 minutes for the AC to cool the car. What really sucks is when it's 95* and it rains for a few minutes.

Weather in Houston is extremely horrible June-September and just bad May and October.

It's HOT. But it's the extreme humidity that makes it worse

Old 08-26-2012, 09:48 PM

489 posts, read 621,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Most of the weather are complaints are 100% BS. Eight months out of the year the weather is nicer then in CA. Hell for 4 to 6 weeks it can be downright cold! Yes, during the summer it's hot as heck. But you could say that for 80% of the country in the summer. This summer most the people on here will tell you it's been cool as hell.
And we all know what a cool, refreshing climate Hell has .

Old 08-27-2012, 04:36 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,172,989 times
I won a golf excursion to Kiawah Island once and ... well.... believe me, Houston ain't got nuttin' over that. Had diaper rash for three days!

Ronnie

Old 08-27-2012, 06:22 AM

391 posts, read 922,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnf114 View Post
I'm hoping to relocate to Houston within the next few months from South Carolina. My kids only know South Carolina and they think the weather in Houston area will be unbearably hot. I've lived in many states including southern CA and key west, FL. I know hot and humid, and it doesn't bother me. I love the idea of having a pool and enjoying it most of the year.

So what's it realistically like year round in Houston area?
I am not sure where in SC you are from, but I will use Charleston, SC as a comparison city to Houston, TX is terms of weather.

Average high in January: CHS=59F HOU=62F
Average high in July: CHS=91F HOU=93F
Average prec per year: CHS=51" HOU=50"
Average days with prec: CHS=112 HOU=104
Average humidity: CHS=70 HOU=77

There isn't a substantial difference in the weather from Charleston to Houston. If you can "stand" the weather in Charleston, then Houston's weather is a piece of cake for you.

I wouldn't pay much attention to the negative comments about Houston being unbearable in terms of weather. Most of the negative comments made about Houston's weather are from people who moved here from northern states would are used to cold winters and summertime highs in the 70's. I think the weather here is very nice particularly in the fall, winter and spring!

Old 08-27-2012, 06:47 AM

670 posts, read 1,441,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
You will not use your pool all year around. During the summer backyard and even community pools are like a hot bath. not refreshing. the water will be cool till around 10am and then cool off around 9pm. if you have a lot of shade around the pool you will be forever cleaning it or picking dead tree animals out.

The weather is not unbearable and some actually enjoy it. You can be active longer than up north. But, dont set your heart on a pool to help cope
This guy is 100% anti-pool so don't listen to a word he types. My pool sometimes gets to 90 and feels great in the 100 degree heat. With a heater / solar-cover combo, you can use it for probably 9 months out of the year.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:45 AM

14 posts, read 15,864 times
Default Its personal preference

We moved from the east coast, and spent 7 years in the midwest. Maybe this wasn't the worst summer in Houston, but so far we don't feel its unbearable. There are so many factors that impact the quality of life and is very much individual preference. If I need to walk 10 city blocks in this heat and humidity it will be unbearable, but I don't. Digging out of 12 ft snow and shoveling the sidewalks was getting unbearable. For someone waiting 15min for a subway train (specially weekends) may be acceptable over driving around the block for 20min looking for parking. You cant have it all so pick the toppings carefully.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:17 AM

800 posts, read 1,463,430 times
Where in SC are you moving from? I moved to Houston from the Upstate area, and it wasn't too much of a shock for me. As the above poster pointed out, the overall climate here is pretty comparable to the SC Lowcountry, and I would imagine pretty similar to Columbia too. Summer does last a few weeks longer in Houston than it does in most of SC, you'll be running the A/C here well into October (and Halloween has been pretty warm here the last few years). Also, I've noticed it doesn't get as cool at night here in the summer as it does in SC, so you probably won't be able to open the windows at night either. Other than that, weather hasn't been an issue for me.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:04 AM

83 posts, read 204,439 times
Apparently millions of people can tolerate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston