Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 01:26 PM

925 posts, read 4,709,234 times

Advertisements

Welcome to America!! The only country where you can go broke due to medical bills hahahahah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 01:31 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,370,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I think you mean illegals.
Well, you can "think" what you want. You know what they say about assumptions.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:35 PM

799 posts, read 2,441,259 times
Its all an accounting game. These numbers mean nothing, but both political sides use them as ammo in a false argument.

Example...

I have a high deductible insurance plan, no HSA. Its just the best my job can do. I go to have a MRI done on my head, with and w/o contrast. Clinic says you can pay $650 cash, or you pay $750, and it goes through insurance. I think it over, and figure Ill take the discount, pay $650. Couple days later, my Dr orders a bunch more tests. I call the clinic and say I need to pay another $100 and have that count towards my deductible. I go by and pay the $100.

The statement from the clinic to my insurance shows they were billed almost $3k. This is a service they were willing to sell at a profit for $650 cash. With insurance, they overbill to the extreme, fight for every dime, and show a write off for uncollected revenue. All the extreme numbers that get tossed around for healthcare comes down to a good old fashioned tax scheme.

So when any politician screams about poor little Mildred getting a $3000 bill, thats probably a service the hospital actually sells for $650(profitably, btw), and will never collect anywhere near $3k for. Im all for doing away with health insurance. Let me pay cash, finance cancer, etc bills, and let the truly poor go to govt run hospitals.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:42 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,143,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
Well, you can "think" what you want. You know what they say about assumptions.
Its not a assumption, its a fact.

Study: Illegal immigrants cost Texas, hospitals $677 million - Houston Chronicle

Still no solution for illegal immigrants' long-term care costs - Houston Chronicle

Illegal immigrant's ouster at Galveston hospital raises questions - Houston Chronicle

Old 08-30-2012, 01:44 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
My father was admitted to the [Mod cut: consumer complaints not allowed per TOS] hospital for mild chest pains and shortness of breath, they wanted to see if he had a heart attack.

He didn't and it was just an anxiety attack, he was in the hospital for no more than 18 hours.

Guess how much the bill came out to for his stay and a couple tests...

$18,500!!!!

Fortunately we had insurance and it covered most of it but we still have to pay around $6000 out of pocket.

I also had appendicitis surgery and the bill came out to around $50,000!

I only have to pay around $7000 but that is just ridiculous!

I dont know about you guys but I believe that this is just a huge ripoff.

Are there any cheaper alternatives? St. Luke's possibly?

A new insurance plan would help, sounds like yours completely sucks.

Last edited by elnina; 08-31-2012 at 06:40 AM..

Old 08-30-2012, 01:44 PM

14B, I agree, but even in that first article is a mention of the accounting game:

But county hospital district officials disputed the report's numbers, noting that they were calculated on the basis of charges instead of costs. They said charges are inflated,

Old 08-30-2012, 01:54 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,370,271 times
Please tell me how you know what I'm thinking. Are you a mind reader?

Old 08-30-2012, 02:29 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,143,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
Please tell me how you know what I'm thinking. Are you a mind reader?
I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:40 PM

561 posts, read 972,410 times
Anyone got ideas on how I can pay less? it has been about 3 months since my operation..

I heard if you ask for a payment plan they make you pay the full amount and if you want a lower bill you have to pay it all at once.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
A new insurance plan would help, sounds like yours completely sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
Anyone got ideas on how I can pay less? it has been about 3 months since my operation..

I heard if you ask for a payment plan they make you pay the full amount and if you want a lower bill you have to pay it all at once.
I would treat it like any other financial negotiation.

Plead poverty, and dont be afraid to say you cannot afford to pay anything at all in order to stall. Id do that, wait until right before they send to collections then say you may have access to some cash, offer about half in cash right now, or forget it, they get nothing.

Its a fight. They are in your pocket taking away money from you and your children. They probably covered 100% of their costs from what your insurance paid, you are all profit to them. See my above post about "costs".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston