Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 09:24 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,559 times

Advertisements

I spent some time driving around the inner loop this week on my recent trip to Houston and have some comments. First off, I have to say, for all the people that rail on here endlessly about Houston being a bland city or one big strip mall, I could not disagree more. I have been to just about every large city in the US and I have to say that Houston is probably the most unique. There really is no way to describe Houston because of the zoning issue. Driving down Westheimer from downtown to uptown is one of the most eclectic and bizarre drives one will ever have in this country. It's good, it's bad and it's everything in-between. There is absolutely no consistency at all and you have no idea what's around the corner. I actually liked that. And I'm really surprised that some of the locals here don't get that.

You know, they say Austin is weird. I've been to Austin. All over Austin. Austin is not weird, Houston is weird. Austin is exactly what you expect from a college town and a state capital. Houston, well, there really is no way to expect anything from Houston. Honestly I have to say it was one of the most bizarre cities I have ever driven through extensively. And I mean that in a good way. I see a lot of potential with Houston if they just get that light speed rail going in more directions. That will be a game changer in my view.

Because, the traffic, omg. You know the funny thing is, highway traffic doesn't bother me as much for some reason because while you may be sitting bumper to bumper and not moving, you can kind of relax. But city traffic is different. You have to make turns!!!!! For the love of God I could not make a single left hand turn anywhere in the loop without a light. There was just too much traffic. I had to make right hand turns and basically do circles if I got lost. It was so annoying. That kind of traffic drives me nuts. And yes, light speed rail can really fix this problem because guys, it's going to get much much worse.

I also visited UH main campus and was very impressed with that school. Nice campus. Houston certainly is big. I honestly now am even more confused my the "Houston is not a real city" crowd. I currently live in Chicago and it's dull as hell compared to driving around Houston. Yes, the mass transit there is a godsend and in my opinion the best reason to live there. But guys, Chicago is exactly the same on every single block. Bar after bar after bar....same people, same beer, same drunks. Every block has the same irish pub, same nail salon, same coffee shop, same sushi place. Hell, it's the reason I never leave my neighborhood. What's the point? Same was true in NY although NY is far more eclectic then Chicago.

I can describe NY and Chicago in a few words. Same with LA and San Francisco. I honestly cannot describe Houston. That's both good and bad. It's also the reason why tourism probably sucks here is because there really is no way to sell Houston in which people will come here and be able to know what they are getting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 09:50 AM

480 posts, read 1,699,171 times
I liked your observations. Thanks for sharing. If more people had an open mind and did some exploring like you did, they would also Get It about Houston.

Did you get over to west Bellaire and see our Chinatown? It's really one of our hidden secrets, in my opinion.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:46 AM

441 posts, read 1,327,438 times
So take home message is, that in 25 years (optimistic figure) when there will be finally a dense light rail in Houston, it will be a livable city on par with top5 in US. Until then, enjoy pockets of weirdness around westheimer and heights and try hard to find work nearby or else traffic would either kill you or eat your soul. Cool.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:52 AM

568 posts, read 1,129,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
I spent some time driving around the inner loop this week on my recent trip to Houston and have some comments. First off, I have to say, for all the people that rail on here endlessly about Houston being a bland city or one big strip mall, I could not disagree more. I have been to just about every large city in the US and I have to say that Houston is probably the most unique. There really is no way to describe Houston because of the zoning issue. Driving down Westheimer from downtown to uptown is one of the most eclectic and bizarre drives one will ever have in this country. It's good, it's bad and it's everything in-between. There is absolutely no consistency at all and you have no idea what's around the corner. I actually liked that. And I'm really surprised that some of the locals here don't get that.

You know, they say Austin is weird. I've been to Austin. All over Austin. Austin is not weird, Houston is weird. Austin is exactly what you expect from a college town and a state capital. Houston, well, there really is no way to expect anything from Houston. Honestly I have to say it was one of the most bizarre cities I have ever driven through extensively. And I mean that in a good way. I see a lot of potential with Houston if they just get that light speed rail going in more directions. That will be a game changer in my view.

Because, the traffic, omg. You know the funny thing is, highway traffic doesn't bother me as much for some reason because while you may be sitting bumper to bumper and not moving, you can kind of relax. But city traffic is different. You have to make turns!!!!! For the love of God I could not make a single left hand turn anywhere in the loop without a light. There was just too much traffic. I had to make right hand turns and basically do circles if I got lost. It was so annoying. That kind of traffic drives me nuts. And yes, light speed rail can really fix this problem because guys, it's going to get much much worse.

I also visited UH main campus and was very impressed with that school. Nice campus. Houston certainly is big. I honestly now am even more confused my the "Houston is not a real city" crowd. I currently live in Chicago and it's dull as hell compared to driving around Houston. Yes, the mass transit there is a godsend and in my opinion the best reason to live there. But guys, Chicago is exactly the same on every single block. Bar after bar after bar....same people, same beer, same drunks. Every block has the same irish pub, same nail salon, same coffee shop, same sushi place. Hell, it's the reason I never leave my neighborhood. What's the point? Same was true in NY although NY is far more eclectic then Chicago.

I can describe NY and Chicago in a few words. Same with LA and San Francisco. I honestly cannot describe Houston. That's both good and bad. It's also the reason why tourism probably sucks here is because there really is no way to sell Houston in which people will come here and be able to know what they are getting.
Thank you, because a few weeks ago a few folks were trying to say that city traffic is nonexistant off the freeways. It's both hell on and off the freeways.

At any rate, glad you enjoyed the city...I think.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:02 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
I enjoyed reading your observation, both good and bad. That was fun!

Old 08-31-2012, 12:26 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,625,432 times
I enjoyed the observations as well and share the exact same views. Houston's lack of zoning is a gift and a curse. If anything Houston should brand that harder. the Randomness and Diversity. History Channel mini series "How the States got their Shape" did an excellent job branding Houston when they did a piece of Texas. (And Houston was the most talked about Texas city when they talked about Texas)

Old 08-31-2012, 01:22 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:

Good feedback. Watch out, many want to silence any positive commentary on Houston for some reason, and will try to discredit you. On the Internet and elsewhere.
As far as Austin, that's because the "weird" thing started out more as a way of supporting local businesses. It was later turned into this marketing ploy you hear of today. It certainly has "weird" and quirky aspects and areas of town, but so does Houston (even more so, as you say.)

Old 08-31-2012, 01:27 PM

157 posts, read 316,908 times
Sad. As an old Texan I just feel sad when I read the Houston threads. It breaks my heart.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:32 PM

489 posts, read 621,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
Sad. As an old Texan I just feel sad when I read the Houston threads. It breaks my heart.
Rowdy, what made you sad about the above posts? I thought they were positive for the most part:

Old 08-31-2012, 07:45 PM

683 posts, read 834,565 times
Quote:

Amen to your statement! Former Chicago Person here. You said it way better than I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston