Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 09:30 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,187,376 times

Advertisements

Get the inspections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 09:45 PM

79 posts, read 301,910 times
You should have no problem whatsoever. Get the inspector.

In all honesty, and I hope you are not offended, if you are uncomfortable responding to the builder with such a trivial matter you should definitely get representation. As construction progresses issues will arise (they always do). When the issues arise you'll need to have tougher conversation with the builder.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:01 AM

340 posts, read 802,328 times
What neighborhood are you building in?

Old 09-01-2012, 07:13 AM

83 posts, read 411,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
I am on my second Weekley home. What they're telling you is that they're required by law to pass 3 layers of inspection and they're trying to tell you that you can leverage that. This is not a bullying tactics at all in their part and you are over reacting
Just hire your own inspectors and Weekley will be more than happy to accommodate you. Just tell Weekley when and what building phases you want your inspector in. Else walk out
Ethanw: did you bring in your inspector for all three phases and did the builder hired his own inspectors on both your homes ?

Old 09-01-2012, 07:30 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,788,081 times
By law the builder is required for some major "code" inspections so they will provide their own. They're not required to give you the report but usually DW will do if you ask them nicely.

As for your own inspector you should hire your own. Normally there are 4 phases of inspection in a house but I had one extra, the fifth, which was all the way to the end covering items related to details and quality more than anything else.

It is really important to get your inspector lined up timely since the house building moves pretty quick and you have to do inspection between specific major items, foundation, framing, walls, etc, etc. I hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techieguy View Post
Ethanw: did you bring in your inspector for all three phases and did the builder hired his own inspectors on both your homes ?

Old 09-01-2012, 07:37 AM

27 posts, read 54,032 times
I regularly phase inspect homes in the Cinco Ranch area and rarely have problems with builders correcting the noted deficiencies in my reports.

Here's a couple of tips to help insure a smooth build:

Get to know the superintendent over your project and make him your best friend. Communicate with him/her regularly and gauge the response. This is the person responsible for the success of your project.

Be wary of a home that has had multiple superintendents on one project. These are homes where problems are likely to go unnoticed and fall through the cracks.

Do hire a licensed inspector and inform your builder of such. Let your builder know that you need to know when the home is ready for each phase of inspection so you can pass this on to your inspector. Explain to your builder that you are aware that there is a brief window of opportunity for each inspection and that you don't want to hold up the builders progress. You want to get your inspector in there, get the report and forward the deficiencies to the builder as quickly as possible so there are no slow downs.

Hope this helps.

If you need further help, feel free to call me at 281-565-4677.

Regards,

John A. Onofrey,
281-565-4677
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston