U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 11:15 AM

17 posts, read 69,854 times

Advertisements

Can folks opine on the relative merits of Kingswood versus the woodlands? To set the stage we are comming from the Bar Area, California with 3 young kids and 1 cat. We hope to be able to let the kids play outside w/o fear of mosquitos? Top elem. schools, reliable commmute to downtown houston, and access to medical and shopping areas are all also important. Price band depends on whether we keep our bay area home, but could range from 500 -1 M. Do any parts of Houston significantly appreciate?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 01:30 PM

9,129 posts, read 6,846,261 times
Without fear of mosquitos? LOL! You may not want to move to either area.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:06 PM

Default : )

Nuts! - I was walking in the River Oaks area at twilight in April 06... after watching Ginepri d. post-retired Pete Samras at the CC, .. it was great... no bugs whatsoever, perfect temp, slight humidity..., really a perfect walk.

How to Woodlands and Kingswood compare to River Oaks?

Do the mosquitos have a season?

Is there a way that people create mosquito free zones in their backyards? (repellants - (i've read "bats" on this forum) - zappers, etc) or do these things not work?

Old 10-05-2007, 02:23 PM

6,882 posts, read 19,208,061 times
Honey, this is Houston. The Bayou City. Where there is water, there are mosquitos. There are times they are dormant--when the temp drops in Nov there aren't so many around, but when it starts warming up in April and May, and the humidity rears its ugly head, so do they! The Woodlands and Kingwood are similar in that regard, as is River Oaks. Good luck in your decision!

Old 10-05-2007, 04:25 PM

657 posts, read 2,404,534 times
A good neighborhood will have an exterminator come by and gas the whole neighborhood occasionally. As for Kingwood vs The Woodlands, the main difference is that Kingwood was annexed by Houston about 10 years ago, which they weren't too crazy about. The Woodlands will eventually be over 100,000 people, but I don't know if they'll become a city one day. Both are wealthy suburbs a little removed from the majority of the city. Both seem to have a lot of trails and parks and so on. You have to have a preference for suburban life because you're away from a lot of the best restaurants and clubs from the city. If you're interested in living more inside the city, you might want to look at homes along Memorial Drive.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:02 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,128,191 times
I personally find Kingwood to be more attractive. The pines are more stately and it's a breath of fresh air from some of those cheap looking palms that plague Houston.

As far as mosquitoes go, they only seem to be a problem from May to October in the later hours of the afternoon. During the heat of the day, I honestly don't really notice them. But after a thunderstorm in July, during 6 and 7 pm, shower yourself with OFF!

Old 10-06-2007, 03:37 PM

156 posts, read 573,172 times
Default Go with The Woodlands

Well, I personally find The Woodlands the more attractive area. I lived there for 4+ years from 99-2003 and loved it. If you have kids, you'd be extremely happy with this community. Extremely clean, safe, and had everything you need in close proximity.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:16 PM

4,900 posts, read 12,755,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostaffed View Post
Can folks opine on the relative merits of Kingswood versus the woodlands? To set the stage we are comming from the Bar Area, California with 3 young kids and 1 cat. We hope to be able to let the kids play outside w/o fear of mosquitos? Top elem. schools, reliable commmute to downtown houston, and access to medical and shopping areas are all also important. Price band depends on whether we keep our bay area home, but could range from 500 -1 M. Do any parts of Houston significantly appreciate?

Its Kingwood not Kingswood but you probably already caught that one by now. Kingwood will have less of a commute than the Woodlands. Both will have mosquitoes except in winter, really you need to see how close your home is to water to know how much of a problem it will be (occasional versus swarms), but what is the fear? People around here aren't dying in droves from west nile or malaria or anything. Both Kingwood and Woodlands have the highest rated schools so your pretty much even there. Ive heard both have drug problems at the highschool level but I can't speak to that from experience. Both have medical centers in the community, Woodlands has a bit of an edge as far as shopping goes. I would grade it like this:

Kingwood

Quality of Life: A
Commute: A
Schools: A
Medical: A
Shopping: B

The Woodlands:

Quality of Life: A
Commute: B
Schools: A
Medical: A
Shopping: A

Sample 500k home in Kingwood: 5602 GARDEN POINT DR, KINGWOOD, TX 77345-1750 - KINGS POINT VILLAGE SEC 2 KINGWOOD

Million dollar home in Kingwood (fairly rare):
18 Kings Lake Estates Blvd., Humble, TX 77346 - Kings Lake Estates Humble

Sample 500k home in The Woodlands:
3 Gateshead, The Woodlands, TX 77382 - WDLNDS VIL STERLING RIDGE 15 The Woodlands

Million dollar home in The Woodlands:
18 Pendleton Park Point, The Woodlands, TX 77382 - The Woodlands Sterling Ridge The Woodlands

Old 10-07-2007, 07:44 PM

268 posts, read 1,430,621 times
Mosquitos - I carry a can of off in my bag and spray myself and my son. My husband doesn't seem to be bothered by them though. Today (noon time) in the Museum District, I forgot to spray and got 3 bites in a matter of minutes just walking from the car to indoors.

The mosquitos aren't the only problem - red ants are a big problem too.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:56 AM

. . . what's bad about the ants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston