Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 10:26 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,821,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
I think that numbers may be skewed lower here since the average poster on this forum seems to have an above average income and as someone pointed out the higher your income the easier it is to get away with a lower multiple.

Exactly my point. I actually see what people's incomes are and the price of home they are buying...and like I said 4X is very...very common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 11:30 AM

52 posts, read 139,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
Sorry to rain on this parade but I feel this is a pointless discussion. Everybody's financial situation, housing needs, and comfort level is different. You cannot compare a % of someone who makes 50k a year to someone who makes 500k a year. If the OP, who supposedly works with money in his day job, can't figure out how much house his family should get, then he probably shouldn't be buying a house yet. Averages mean squat if you are not the average person.
The better questions would be, what costs and pitfalls should he figure into the overall housing cost and what advice would other owners give him? He had a lot of great advice to those questions in another thread.

If this is a pointless discussion, why comment? As I explicitly said in my original post, I wasn't looking for this type of response. I'm simply looking for statistics and curious, that's all.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:39 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,365,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
Exactly my point. I actually see what people's incomes are and the price of home they are buying...and like I said 4X is very...very common.
Wow...that's a bit worrying. 4x is pretty hard core. So if a couple made 200k, then their possible buying power could be up to 800k. I would call someone crazy for even thinking of buying a home for that much, even if they had no CC or loans to pay off. What do ya'll think? I have a few friends that own 600-700k homes, but they make some mad money. One owns a chain of franchises, and the other is a director and partner of a few clinics. I think it's really interesting to know how some folks manage their money...

Old 09-03-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddavy View Post
Wow...that's a bit worrying. 4x is pretty hard core. So if a couple made 200k, then their possible buying power could be up to 800k. I would call someone crazy for even thinking of buying a home for that much, even if they had no CC or loans to pay off. What do ya'll think? I have a few friends that own 600-700k homes, but they make some mad money. One owns a chain of franchises, and the other is a director and partner of a few clinics. I think it's really interesting to know how some folks manage their money...

I have not a clue, however, 4x seems fairly strong. But if you look at the East coast, I think people easily spend that much, if not more. Would I do that?...nope.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:54 AM

489 posts, read 621,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddavy View Post
Here in CA, a lot of people have to go that high, If they want to own a home, because of the insane cost of real estate. But in TX, I would say it is definitely unadvisable. I think a max of 2-2.5 time annual salary is a good rule of thumb if you don't live in a very inflated market.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:01 PM

568 posts, read 1,129,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster10154 View Post
If this is a pointless discussion, why comment? As I explicitly said in my original post, I wasn't looking for this type of response. I'm simply looking for statistics and curious, that's all.
I think it is interesting too and reading from the comments, CD Houston at least are very conscious about their home spending.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:14 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,736,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster10154 View Post
I have not a clue, however, 4x seems fairly strong. But if you look at the East coast, I think people easily spend that much, if not more. Would I do that?...nope.
I think multiples have to be lower here than on the coasts due to how how the property taxes are, the payment you can afford at a 1.5% tax versus a 3.8% is a big difference. I just sold my house and bought another that is 25% more expensive but my mortgage payment is almost the same due to the interest rates being 1% less and now I'm out of a MUD so my property taxes are almost 1% lower as well.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
I think multiples have to be lower here than on the coasts due to how how the property taxes are, the payment you can afford at a 1.5% tax versus a 3.8% is a big difference. I just sold my house and bought another that is 25% more expensive but my mortgage payment is almost the same due to the interest rates being 1% less and now I'm out of a MUD so my property taxes are almost 1% lower as well.

Totally agree. Tax rate and mortgage rates play a huge factor. 3.8% property tax can almost double your mortgage payment.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:23 PM

However, what about the fact that we don't have a state income tax in Texas? Isn't that part of the reason property taxes are higher in Texas?

Also, the NE states seem to have just as high prop. taxes as Texas (NJ, NH, CT, VT).

Old 09-03-2012, 12:26 PM

87 posts, read 174,830 times
I paid $69,000 for my house and make about $26,500 a year. My monthly payment with taxes and escrow etc is $651.. So I'm right at about 2.5x
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston